Intel Macs at MWSF?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FredAkbar, Jul 28, 2005.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Sorry for yet another Intel thread, but I'm curious about this. When Steve said they planned to have Intel Macs out by "when we meet here a year from now" (meaning WWDC 2006), I figured he meant they'd have been out for a while by the time WWDC rolled around, and that the first Intel Macs would come out in January. But everyone else talks as if he basically said they'd release the first Intel Macs at WWDC. So do you guys think it's possible/probable that we'll see some Intel Macs in January? They wouldn't want to release them outside of a major, regular event, so if they don't do it at MWSF then they'd have to wait till June, even if the Macs could be ready before then.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think the consensus around here has been that they will probably release them sometime between March and June next year. I could be wrong, don't want to speak for everyone else. My guess is about April or May.

3. wide macrumors 6502a

I think the first ones to be released will be the PowerBooks in June '06.

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I did take it that it would mean one year from then we would see the first ones rolling off the lines...but, I suppose he could have meant that by then we would have them in the hands of the users, and maybe for quite some time. Who knows? Apple has been a little crazy with everything lately. That would explain the lack of PB update thus far, and the lack of mini processor update as well.

5. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Oh please let it be so. I'm buying myself a new powerbook when I graduate, and if the new ones are intel that would make my life complete...

6. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Well, they can't really give the PBs much more than they already have, can they? They have 1.5 and 1.67 GHz processors, so unless they go to G5s, which would be questionable, they can't get much faster. They have 512 MB of RAM, scrolling trackpad and motion sensor, and built-in wireless. Other than price drops (which aren't necessary because of the iBook) or making a 128 MB gfx card standard (which isn't really necessary; most users don't need more than 64 MB), the PBs are pretty much done.

For the Mac mini, though, I agree that they could make them a lot better. They're a unique product in that a) they're marketed mainly at potential switchers, and b) they don't come with things like a monitor, so it's not like making them a little faster would directly hurt sales of anything else (as opposed to, say, iBooks cutting into PB sales); if anything, it would just make them more attractive to Windows users, many of whom probably don't even know about the Intel news.

7. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I think it would most likely be an iBook, not a Powerbook for the notebooks. Apple said they would start with Low-End Macs all the way to their High-End Macs. My guess is that they will be updated in the following order:

1. Mac Mini
    2. eMac
    3. iBook
    4. iMac
    5. Powerbook
    6. Power Mac

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

From what I heard I thought he said that they hope to have x86 Macs shipping before WWDC '06. Maybe not that much sooner though. But I wouldn't be suprised at all if they rolled out new x86 Powerbooks as soon as MWSF. The transistion seems to be going smoother than what people expected so it sounds like a good chance that we might see something updated at MWSF.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I bet the PBs will be the first to get intel chips. They're at a dead end and have pretty much been there for awhile. The G4 isnt getting much faster and it would be a waste for Apple to make G5 powerbooks with x86 around the corner. The iBooks still have a bit of room to grow on the G4 platform and once Intel PBs come out, the iBook could probably get the specs the G4 PBs had. Although it would make sense for Apple to move their entire line to Intel at around the same time. If Intel Powerbooks came out in say, March and the iBooks' G4 got a speed bump, no one would buy the iBook knowing it will get the Intel chip soon.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Steve said in the keynote that consumer Macs would be the first to get Intel chips. That means PBs will not be the first. :D

11. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

For crying out loud, it was never said at the keynote that consumer macs would be first.

12. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

13. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Yup he said consumer macs would be first. And didn't he say that he hopes the entire transition will be complete by sometime in '07?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Jesus thats a long time.

I don't see the point of waiting once the first Intel Macs are out. The biggest obstacle is the software. Once that is complete, we'll be seeing the first Intel Macs. Why wait to convert everything to Intel? There's no advantage. The hardware stuff seems like it would be pretty simple. Hard drive and optical drives are the same. RAM is the same. Video cards may or may not be the same (will regular PC AGP cards work?) Only thing different is the processor, which there shouldnt be any supply problems, thats the point of the switch, and the motherboard, again which would probably be a standard PC mobo with the extra chip that makes OSX only run on Macs.

If Apple will be waiting simply because they can (to build up hype or whatever) then thats a pretty stupid idea, as once Intel Macs hit the shelves, the remaining PPC Macs won't sell at all as people wait for the Mac they want to get the Intel chip.

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

My guess is that they want to iron out a few kinks before they put out the PowerMacs. They don't want their power users buying the things and doing something like the FW800 drives did in Panther. We all know the first version of hardware is the most likely to have problems. I think they want to try to get as much of that out of the way as possible before they have to start taking a huge number of returns on their really expensive machines.

Just my guess...

16. Panoctopi macrumors member

As far as I know Apple has yet to lay out a strategy for the release of the Intel product line, other than it will going buy June '06. If I missed something please provide the link.

Edit:
    IMO it makes more sense that Apple would release Intel PBs first, with the latest revision of iBooks the gap has been narrowed and a possible move to intel iBooks would, in some ways, mean that iBooks would be superior to PB, which will never happen.
    I'd expect some fanfare and announcements at MacWorld SF but no releases until WWDC '06, which being a developers gig would be appropriate to unveil a brand new line of faster and more powerful PB.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Steve himself said it in the Keynote, I'm not sure if there's a transcript anywhere...

18. Panoctopi macrumors member

you know, i actually listened to that keynote a couple times and don't remember any specific references to that, and as I remember that surfaced as speculation in some sites and and forums a couple of weeks later.
    still, i'm going from memory so... either way i guess we'll have to wait and see.

19. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You're right... this has come up a couple of times just in these forums. I found a video of the Keynote and I'm DLing it now. I'm gonna go back and watch that segment again and if its in there, I'll post it so everybody can see it.

20. Panoctopi macrumors member

so i found the transcript at cnet, since it's late i only scanned and, as i thought, found no mentions to what will be released first, but check it out for yourselves, here's the link. The 'Transitions' part begins at page 3, let me know if you found something.

21. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I agree completely. I really hope they start the transistion at MWSF.

22. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I know for a fact that he never told us anything about what products would be first for the intel chips. I have looked for it and many other people have and never found it.

23. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Yep 2007 is an age but if your need to upgrade isn't a matter of extreme urgency then I'd wait. Why? Early leaked benchmarks from the dev Mactels suggest veeeeeeeeeerrrrrryy good things from Apple next year. That is if they don't pull the usual Apple stunt and cripple them with crap GPU's. Heres hoping they'll sort out who their market groups are and start using current technology rather than cheapo last year gear.

24. bigben334 macrumors regular

yup....

i second that. i just read the transitions part and it says nothing about consumer lines being the first to go intel. listen, there is no way in hell the ibooks will go intel before the powerbooks because that would basically mean that the ibooks would be BETTER than the powerbooks for a period of time. not JUST AS GOOD but BETTER than the powerbooks. that can't happen. the powerbooks are struggling as it is, they need a boost. trust me, the powerbooks will almost definitely be the first to go intel, IMO.

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We've gone through it before. Steve never said consumer lines would go first.
    It stands to reason that those lines which cannot, for whatever reason, run G5 processors will move to Intel first. To me, that's the iBook, PowerBook, and the Mac mini. Who knows if the eMac will even make it as a product.

PowerBook is the logical choice to go first. People are screaming (for the past two years) for some power in the PB line. No way they'll move the iBook to Intel first and leap frog it beyond the PB. Suicide to do that.

MWSF '06 - Intel PB announced, release date late Feb, shipping in qty that matters by end of March
    WWDC '06 - iBook goes Intel, shipping in August
    MWSF '07 - Mac mini goes Intel., shipping immediately eMac????dead or what?
    WWDC '07 - Power Macs, dualcore Dual Intel baby!, shipping by end of July
    Paris '07 - iMac goes Intel, buy one today

No idea where the Xserve stands in this, maybe with Power Macs but maybe a separate event? Steve did say they expect to have all moving to Intel by end of '07, though.