Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I think the timing is going to be tied to Intel's ability to produce Yonah processors for the PowerBooks, 65nm Pentium M's for the iBook, mini, and iMac and dual-core Xeons for the PowerMac.

That would make for a very simple lineup using three CPU families and maintain a single-core, dual-core difference between the Power* and i* lineups. The Xeon would allow for multi-processor configs in the PowerMac line.

Yonah for powerbooks
Pentium M for iBook, mini, and iMac
Xeon (2006 dual-core) for PowerMac

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
So what do you all think - when each computer moves over to intel will we see a BIG improvement in all specs? Or an intel processor with the lowest spec graphics card and just enough memeory to get by.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
MacSA said:
So what do you all think - when each computer moves over to intel will we see a BIG improvement in all specs? Or an intel processor with the lowest spec graphics card and just enough memeory to get by.
I think it'll basically be like it is now. The PowerMacs have always had the fastest possible processor, because that's how they're marketed and that's the whole point of them. Things like the Mac mini would have lower-end processors, even maybe a *shudder* Celeron (please, Apple, no...).

As for RAM, it will stay at 512 MB, as every Mac (besides the forsaken eMac's low-end model) has gone to 512 already and they wouldn't bump it back down to 256.

And thank you so much to all the people who said that Steve never said that consumer Macs could be first. I wasn't sure how everyone "knew" that, and as I watch every keynote with great interest, I didn't think Steve could've mentioned it without me knowing.

edit: about the RAM, that reminds me: will RAM for today's Macs work with Intel Macs? There isn't some special kind of "Mac RAM," is there?

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
FredAkbar said:
I think it'll basically be like it is now. The PowerMacs have always had the fastest possible processor, because that's how they're marketed and that's the whole point of them. Things like the Mac mini would have lower-end processors, even maybe a *shudder* Celeron (please, Apple, no...).

As for RAM, it will stay at 512 MB, as every Mac (besides the forsaken eMac's low-end model) has gone to 512 already and they wouldn't bump it back down to 256.

And thank you so much to all the people who said that Steve never said that consumer Macs could be first. I wasn't sure how everyone "knew" that, and as I watch every keynote with great interest, I didn't think Steve could've mentioned it without me knowing.

edit: about the RAM, that reminds me: will RAM for today's Macs work with Intel Macs? There isn't some special kind of "Mac RAM," is there?
I'm sure the same RAM will work just like it works with PC's. Most likely the new Intel Macs will use DDR2 or DDR3 with PCI-E.

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
MacSA said:
I would hope that apple would fully attempt to capitalize in this unique opportunity to introduce something really special. Anticipation and curiosity, within and beyond the mac community, will have been building for months, so all eyes will be on apple (much like tiger), so this would be a perfect a perfect occasion to make a big splash, i.e new form factors, better graphic cards, better screens, etc... this would be more than sufficient to recuperate any lost sales due to 'osborne effect' (if this really ends up happening).

Count De Bodys

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2005
Top End with Intel

I have been buying Mac's for a few years and if you think the Intel chip will come out in a low end or mid range product first you are fooling yourself. Apple always releases the new hardware in a fully stacked mac. So I predict the first Intel will be in mini tower with superdrive, what ever top end V card they are pushing, a big hard drive, lotsa ram and PCI slots, pre installed bluetooth and airport, Gigabit Ethernet plus both optical digital and analog audio input and output jacks, firewire, USB and too little RAM with no flexibility on configuration. D

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Count De Bodys said:
I have been buying Mac's for a few years and if you think the Intel chip will come out in a low end or mid range product first you are fooling yourself. Apple always releases the new hardware in a fully stacked mac. So I predict the first Intel will be in mini tower with superdrive, what ever top end V card they are pushing, a big hard drive, lotsa ram and PCI slots, pre installed bluetooth and airport, Gigabit Ethernet plus both optical digital and analog audio input and output jacks, firewire, USB and too little RAM with no flexibility on configuration. D

You're completely right. The PowerMac needs an Intel much worse than the PB and iBook do. NOBODY buys those things.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Tamer Brad said:
You're completely right. The PowerMac needs an Intel much worse than the PB and iBook do. NOBODY buys those things.

I hope you're kidding! PowerBooks almost out sell PowerMacs 2 to 1 every quarter regardless of it not having a G5 in it.

Were talking like 120,000 PowerMacs or less every quarter to around 200,000 PowerBooks.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
mklos said:
I hope you're kidding! PowerBooks almost out sell PowerMacs 2 to 1 every quarter regardless of it not having a G5 in it.

Were talking like 120,000 PowerMacs or less every quarter to around 200,000 PowerBooks.

I was kidding :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Yes they better come out very soon.............but what do you people think will happen at the Paris Expo.........just Intel talk :confused: :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.