Intel Macs - Goodbye stable computing for now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amin, Sep 22, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have been using PPC Macs for years now and recently bought my first two Intel Macs, a mac pro and a Core 2 Duo iMac. With these Intel Macs, I have learned about kernel panics - can't really blame the Macs though since the KPs occurred while using beta software to emulate Windows. Even without installing that beta software however, I've noticed these new Macs lack the rock solid stability I've come to know and love with my Powerbook. New universal binary apps quit unexpectedly from time to time. Other times they simply freeze. These incidents are very uncommon, but they are disturbing the notion I hold of OS X being 100% stable.

I'm sure these are simply growing pains which will pass as the UB apps are updated and polished. Did such growing pains occur with the switch to PPC? Anyone else been feeling the same way? If not, perhaps one of my apps is a trouble maker.

Addendum - Before you attack me for this thread starting post, please read my short post below which clarifies what I am talking about.
  2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2004
    I have a macbook and a mac pro and never had a kernal panic or any crash for that matter ever. Might want to have your systems checked out.
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    The only problem I've had it VPN issues in OS X.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
  5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2002
    Where am I???
    I have not had ONE kernel panic in 5 months on my Intel iMac, and this is with DAILY use as an audio production machine.
  6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Mind you, this transition is much smoother than the transition between 680x0 and PPC. There were bugs galore then, and even then the transition took a much longer time than this one.
  7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You might want to run a memory test on it. I believe there's a free/shareware app for that around.
  8. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
  9. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah MemTest or Rember
  10. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I have not had one issue with my iMac Core Duo... not one.
  11. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2005
    New York
    A mountain is only solid until something stronger knocks it down. For some to be 100% stable 100% of the time is hopeful wishing. I new to the mac world, and to be honest i have not had not one problem with my computer. I have a macbook with a 2ghz and 1 gig of ram. Its a wonderful machine, i cant believe that i've waited this long to enjoy this type of computing. Its a wonderful experience. But if my macbook was to act up a little or if a program was to crash, i would denounce the chipset or the code behind the OS itself, maybe it was just a bad program, or the system simply made a mistake which they do, even though they aren't humans... but they were built by humans they cant be perfect even though macs seems that way most of the time. I was a long time windows user and while i cant sit here and lie about how my xp machine crashed all the time, i have noticed a difference. It seems like xp chases its tail a lot. Its functions and certain programs that have such little use the eat resources. I like the mac because it simply gives me what i want or need with the option to have more. If the computer crashes restart it, if a program hangs, force it to end and try it again, the world of computers is fickle place.
  12. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Yes, there are growing pains. No, it isn't 100% stable, but even on PPC. Bootcamp is beta, Macs aren't perfect (again, even the PPC ones), but most Intel are fine. You're just having some bad luck with yours. Other people don't have any issues with their Intel Macs, so your assertions are pretty much ridiculous.

I don't know why I keep clicking on these threads where someone has some issues and automatically assumes everyone else must be.
  13. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    My february 2006 17" iMac has been rock solid regarding both the software and hardware.
  14. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    This is a remarkably smooth transition actually.

Parallels is prob the app that kernel panic'd. Just have to avoid it for now.

15. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ditto my MBP has been perfectly stable (for what I do), much more so than the Power Mac dual G5 it replaced.
  16. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I've had two kernel panics, both caused by early Parallels betas. Otherwise this Core Duo iMac feels rock solid.

This is my first Mac so I have nothing to compare to, except for various Windows and Linux machines, which had varying degrees of stability, but none beat the iMac.
  17. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thank you for the responses. I think I ruined my point by mentioning the kernel panics. Those were due to early adoption of Parallels beta.

What I am observing is actually much more subtle. One or two times (out of many) Capture One (universal binary RAW processing application) has quit on me. This has never happened on my PPC Macs. iWeb quit unexpectedly on me once. Never happened on my Powerbook. Once or twice on each Intel Mac, an app has frozen (no reboot restarted, just a force quit) - an extraordinarily rare occurrence on my Powerbook. Memtest finds no fault with either Intel Mac. None of these are serious problems, but the experience is just a touch less reassuringly one of perfect stability than that on the PPC platform.

I believe those of you who say this transition is much smoother than previous ones. I do think there are some subtle bumps, but all in all it's quite impressive how few bumps there actually are.
  18. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    those bumps are due to software not hardware. the ppc code is stable because they had a longer time to test it. intel code hasn't been in production very long. if you don't like to return your intel macs and don't upgrade.
  19. thestaton macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    I've had my intel iMac since day 1 and I've had my mbp for a month now and never had one problem. i'd try not to blame apple because of your betaware.
  20. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    I get the occasional kernel panic (maybe a twice a year) and frozen computer (have to physically reboot) every other month or so, on my iBook. My point being, likely there are more issues with the new Intel models, however, the PPC models were not 100% stable either. And for both PPC and intel, individual milage may vary...
  21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    At least one visible or invisible kernel panic every two days here on the Intel Macs. I re-installed my MBP since it came back from repair and I had a kernel panic within two days of that. Happens especially when shutting down, sleeping or in browsers. It's a bit of a joke.
  22. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

what are these kernel panics you speak of?
  23. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

May 4, 2005
    Coming from a Macbook Pro user, with a buddy with a black macbook as well, We've seen no problems whatsoever with the intel hardware.

My Macbook Pro is just as stable as my old 2.5ghz G5 Powermac (FOR SALE...PM Me if interested ;-) )

Some of these "MAJORZ INTELZ PROBLEM WIZ MAH COMPUTORZ" threads are getting a little lame....

Anything computer wise can have a fault, if theres a problem ,that's why you've got your warranty...If you have a problem, you take it back to the apple store, or arrange a collect...if you get poor service from repairs, then you complain to apple, if they don't resolve it, then post to a forum whinging about it....

Intel is fine, is not poor quality, and apple support in my hardware problem experiences in the few years I've had apple products has been exceptional.
  24. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    But there are definite incompatibilities... VPN definitely created non-stop kernel panics on my new iMac C2D. Otherwise I love it.
  25. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, I am getting attacked over nothing! I never blamed Apple, and I never said other people were having the same experience as I. I was simply checking to see if others were having the same experience. Very likely my minor issues are due to the specific software I am using rather than OS X. However, now that I have rid myself of Parallels and Boot Camp, the issues that remain are not due to beta software. I am not using any beta software. It must be challenging for developers to have rock solid first generation universal binary apps. Capture One is a good example.

Anyway, I try to raise a simple point of discussion and a bunch of people attack me, and one even suggests I return my new Macs :confused:. Some of these responses are truly mindless.