Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
i'm a hip hop producer mostly. and i was looking into getting a macbook pro. i am most a hardware user and i only use my computer for recording into protools and maybe cutting samples in recycle. i use the digi002r and protools le for my recording setup. i know that there is no software compatible with the new intel macs yet. and according to digidesign they dont know when there will be one available. thats fine i dont mind waiting, and i plan to wait for the 17" verison anyways.

my question will my hardware til be compatible with the intel macs? i have been hearing mix reports on this.

also i have a basic pc thats stripped down to nothing but protools and recycle for my computer that i use to record now. but this computer will also serve as my school laptop also. i'll be running word processors, the internet, itune and maybe some counterstrike here and there. will the macbook be able to handle this? i have heard bad things from people using there music computers for the internet. but i'm not going to be be running VSTi's so i dont know if that ables to me...

sorry about the long post. thanks in advice for just reading.

oh, has anyone run protools in rosetta? what is that like?

Quantum Man

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2006
New York
Yes the MacBook Pro will definitely be able to handle anything else you throw at it besides audio stuff, including gaming. And I don't see any reason why the 002R would stop working with the Intel Macs. Once Pro Tools arrives in Universal Binary, I'd imagine your 002R will still work.

I am also a Pro Tools LE user, and one day I hope to upgrade to Apogee converters, namely the Rosetta 800. From everyone I talk to and have read, they say the difference is HUGE when you listen to both, the 002R's converters vs the Rosetta's converters. You can't go wrong with Apogee.

XraggedX

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2006
South Orange County
as far as i know, Rossetta is not able to handle fairly complex calculations. which is why it is said that Final Cut Pro and Logic will not run under rossetta until Universal Binary versions are released. Digidesigns web site states that Pro Tools LE is not compatable under rossetta as well... So i would assume that either Pro Tools will not run at all, or if it does would be way to slow to be usable.....

PLEASE, somebody try running Pro Tools on the new Intel iMacs and prove my ideas wrong. B/c i was going to buy the 002 setup for my new imac, but have put it on hold in fear that i will not work.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
This is what Digi says....
Compatibility Alert — New Apple Intel Models

Pro Tools (HD, LE and M-Powered) is not currently compatible with the new Apple iMac and MacBook Pro computers with Intel Core Duo processors
Pro Tools is not a universal binary
Digidesign currently does not have a release date for the Pro Tools update that will be needed for compatibility with these Apple Intel based computers
read it all here.

Actually Logic 7 is now a universal binary with the 7.2 update, so it is compatible with the new Intel Macs. Yet another reason to ditch Digidesign and use other audio hardware and software.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
ibn said:
i'm a hip hop producer mostly. and i was looking into getting a macbook pro. i am most a hardware user and i only use my computer for recording into protools and maybe cutting samples in recycle. i use the digi002r and protools le for my recording setup. i know that there is no software compatible with the new intel macs yet. and according to digidesign they dont know when there will be one available. thats fine i dont mind waiting, and i plan to wait for the 17" verison anyways.

my question will my hardware til be compatible with the intel macs? i have been hearing mix reports on this.

also i have a basic pc thats stripped down to nothing but protools and recycle for my computer that i use to record now. but this computer will also serve as my school laptop also. i'll be running word processors, the internet, itune and maybe some counterstrike here and there. will the macbook be able to handle this? i have heard bad things from people using there music computers for the internet. but i'm not going to be be running VSTi's so i dont know if that ables to me...

sorry about the long post. thanks in advice for just reading.

oh, has anyone run protools in rosetta? what is that like?

if you really want to play counter-strike you'd need to install windows on it, as there is no counter-strike for mac. the problem is, currently no one's figured out how to install windows xp on a macbook pro, or imac.

ibn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
homerjward said:
if you really want to play counter-strike you'd need to install windows on it, as there is no counter-strike for mac. the problem is, currently no one's figured out how to install windows xp on a macbook pro, or imac.

what? really? i haven't played since pre-source, so i'm really rusty. but someone who does play a lot said there is a mac verison. but i haven't researched this so you're probably right. ehh... that's fine more time for music without cs:source. :(

ibn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
faintember said:
This is what Digi says....
read it all here.

Actually Logic 7 is now a universal binary with the 7.2 update, so it is compatible with the new Intel Macs. Yet another reason to ditch Digidesign and use other audio hardware and software.

thought about getting the MOTU 828 mk2 instead but i figured, hey if i don't like it i can always sell the digi and buy a motu. might have to now since protools is compatible with the new macs yet. i have some time til the 17" so now i have to play the waiting game.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Well if it makes you feel better, after i get my credit card payed off from purchasing some doepfer equipment i am buying the MOTU 828 mkII for my needs. I have to have 8 channels out as i do live audio manipulation, and i really like MOTU. Pro Tools is just too, well, communist-like for me. You are locked in (for the most part) to their stuff, and i hate the software. The main thing for you is to be compatible with as many local studios that you work with as possible.

ibn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
faintember said:
Well if it makes you feel better, after i get my credit card payed off from purchasing some doepfer equipment i am buying the MOTU 828 mkII for my needs. I have to have 8 channels out as i do live audio manipulation, and i really like MOTU. Pro Tools is just too, well, communist-like for me. You are locked in (for the most part) to their stuff, and i hate the software. The main thing for you is to be compatible with as many local studios that you work with as possible.

hey i've been looking into a 828mk2, just in case. i've been looking at logic pro 7 also. it looks so difficult... so many things going on and so many things that i dont need. what software are you looking at getting/using? i just track from my mpc into protools and then arrange. i dont use many plug-ins and i dont mix.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
ibn said:
hey i've been looking into a 828mk2, just in case. i've been looking at logic pro 7 also. it looks so difficult... so many things going on and so many things that i dont need. what software are you looking at getting/using? i just track from my mpc into protools and then arrange. i dont use many plug-ins and i dont mix.
The 828 mkII rocks, hands down. That or the MOTU Traveller are great interfaces for the price. As to the software i use, when i am doing audio sequencing/mixing i use either Logic Pro or Cubase. I only own Cubase on my personal machine, but i like both programs equally. When i buy my next Powebook (probably around september) i will get Logic Exp. I really dont have the need for the full Logic Pro app. But then again, working with programs like that is not something that i do on a daily basis, but maybe a 3 times a month basis. Mainly i do live audio involving computers interacting with people/instruments. Oh, i am also thinking about getting the Traveller rather than the 828 mkII. My friend just got a Traveller and it sounds great and it is small enough to put under your laptop. Nice indeed.

But back to software, if you are not using a lot of plugins and the like you should be fine with most anything. Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools are all good programs and will suit you fine, but Pro Tools makes me want to throw up all over the place. I would be totally happy if Digi went bankrupt. :D

ibn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
thanks for the info faintember.

what's your issue with protools, if you don't mind me asking?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
You are welcome.
ibn said:
what's your issue with protools, if you don't mind me asking?
1) Price (hardware + software)
2) Proprietary formants
3) The user environment
4) Digi's slow response to the OS9>OSX transition
5) Just recently opening the door to use other hardware with Pro Tools M (it should have been this way, always)

To me, Digi has the same stigma as Microsoft. Money hungry, poor products and slow to respond to their user base. All IMHO. Many people use it and love it, thats fine for them, but not for me.

ALaPPleCOREuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
Birmingham, AL., USA
Logic Pro universal

Cool . . . Apple just emailed me that my Logic Pro universal upgrade disc has shipped out Fedex ground. Can't wait to install Logic Pro on my new Intel Imac. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives and I've had a chance to play around with it. Chow!:D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
MacBook Pro with: Core Duo 1.83Ghz, 1 or more GB RAM, 7200rpm HDD and Logic Pro....you can do anything....and really fast;)

ibn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
ALaPPleCOREuser said:
Cool . . . Apple just emailed me that my Logic Pro universal upgrade disc has shipped out Fedex ground. Can't wait to install Logic Pro on my new Intel Imac. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives and I've had a chance to play around with it. Chow!:D

thanks keep me imformed... very interested on how music apps work on the new mactels. :) another quick question... if i were to trade in my protools, i would probably get logic express. the $999 price tag for pro isn't too appealing, plus i don't need all the extras, since i just basically track and arrange. the question... what is the difference between the two programs?

ALaPPleCOREuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
Birmingham, AL., USA
Logic Pro vs. Logic Express

ibn said:
thanks keep me imformed... very interested on how music apps work on the new mactels. :) another quick question... if i were to trade in my protools, i would probably get logic express. the $999 price tag for pro isn't too appealing, plus i don't need all the extras, since i just basically track and arrange. the question... what is the difference between the two programs?

What is the difference between the two programs? I'd direct you to the apple.com website to review the difference between Pro and Express. I opted for Pro because of the large and diverse collection of integrated software instruments and a professional sample player. If all you do is track and arrange and you don't require software intruments then Express would likely satisfy your needs; Pro would likely be overkill. The price is high, but think of how much you'd have to pay if you went out and purchased 4 synthesizers and a sampler, a mixer, and a good sequencer . . . a lot more than $1,000.00. I like having it all at my fingertips and not going crazy making midi work with different hardware instruments. It comes together so much easier. I'll let you know what I think when I receive the new universal version of Pro. :D

ALaPPleCOREuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
Birmingham, AL., USA
Logic Pro 7.2

My crossgrade Logic Pro 7.2 disc arrived on Saturday by FedEX. Installed without a hitch, runs smoothly. Everything seems snappy or maybe its just my imagination. I did have one problem in that East-West's "Symphony Orchestra Silver Edition" would not run as a plugin under 7.2. After contacting Native Instruments and downloading updates as recommended without success, I mentioned that I had the new "Intel" Core Duo Imac. The tech informed me that "Silver" would not run on the Intel Macs until a scheduled April update of the program. So be aware that lots of third party plugins may not run in Logic Pro 7.2 until a universal binary is issued. Otherwise, I like what I see and hear out of 7.2. I'll keep you informed if I come across any other issues. It would be nice if Logic Pro 7.2 had a templet for creating Podcasts like the one found in the new Garage Band. Maybe I'm just overlooking it. There is lots to discover in Logic. Don't let the interface scare you. Its really pretty easy to find yourself around in Logic Pro and make music. The tough part is making great music and that's where the artist comes in. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.