Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattzilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
London, UK
I just bought myself a 2005FPW monitor and plugged it into my Intel Mini over DVI.

And nothing. No picture. The monitor just puts itself into standby. I've tried it with the DVI cable that came with the Dell monitor, as well as another DVI cable I had handy but still no luck.

I tried it using VGA and it works, but only at a lower resolution than native (closest I can get as far as widescreen goes is 1400 x 900).

Has anyone else had this problem and know how to solve it? Any help appreciated!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
mattzilla said:
I just bought myself a 2005FPW monitor and plugged it into my Intel Mini over DVI.

And nothing. No picture. The monitor just puts itself into standby. I've tried it with the DVI cable that came with the Dell monitor, as well as another DVI cable I had handy but still no luck.

I tried it using VGA and it works, but only at a lower resolution than native (closest I can get as far as widescreen goes is 1400 x 900).

Has anyone else had this problem and know how to solve it? Any help appreciated!

I'll ask the obvious...You did change the input on the monitor to be DVI?

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
have you tried using the VGA adapter then the VGA port on the 2005FPW? how about connecting a different computer to the monitor? like a friend's laptop or something? that way you can see if its the mini or the monitor. i just got a mini and it works fine with my dell 2005FPW

mattzilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
London, UK
Tha VGA works fine. But the DVI doesn't.

I'm going to try it from my old PC tonight, but if it works i'll be really stumped.

uanlaven

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Philips 200W

Hi,

I just recieved my Philips 200W (contains same screen as the DELL 2005FPW, and the Apple Cinima widescreen).. I connected the monitor to my MAC Mini using the provided DVI-D cabel.. and.. no picture what so ever.. Im currently using the VGA cabel, but that realy does hurt, I bougth the screen cause it had DVI... Have you had any progress with your 2005FPW?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Have you tried plugging in the monitor via DVI and then turing on the computer? Make sure the computer is completely off when you plug the cable in.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I'll repeat wPod's sentiment...Try another known working machine that has DVI to diagnose whether its your monitor or your mini.

Also, many of these monitors have their own input selectors, so make sure you have selected the appropriate input on the monitor. For example, on the 2005FPW there are 4 different possibilities, with #2 being DVI-D. Its very easy to forget this with the excitement of getting a 20" widescreen monitor.

uanlaven

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Power off, hands on

Oh yes, I did turn off my Mac Mini =) ..

.. I have done some googling and only found bad news so far, seems that the Mac Mini has to low power on the DVI-port.. and some monitors doesn't realy work that well together with Mac Mini.. This is rumors tho, and hopefully nothing to take seriously..

Im still in shock tho that it wasn't just to plugin the monitor, I never heard of a compatible problem between a computer and a monitor before.. If it's true, then it's nothing short of amazing.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
uanlaven said:
Oh yes, I did turn off my Mac Mini =) ..

.. I have done some googling and only found bad news so far, seems that the Mac Mini has to low power on the DVI-port.. and some monitors doesn't realy work that well together with Mac Mini.. This is rumors tho, and hopefully nothing to take seriously..

Im still in shock tho that it wasn't just to plugin the monitor, I never heard of a compatible problem between a computer and a monitor before.. If it's true, then it's nothing short of amazing.

I've used my Mac Mini to power my Dell 2005fpw, so I know it works.

jophassa

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
My dell E173FP 17" Monitor works wonders so i don't see why a newer one wouldn't work.

I read somewhere that a lot of the official Mac VGA-DVI adapters don't work.

Also, in general, some monitors aren't Mac compatible.

jophassa

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, that's what I thought but I came across a list on monitors that said if they were PC or Mac compatible. I never thought that was an issue either. I can try and find the list for you if you like...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.