Intel OS X really leaked now?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maxterpiece, Jul 4, 2005.

1. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    If this has been posted already then just delete my thread... sorry
  2. 40167 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    It's been reported to work, although there is no GUI... its not a complete leak.

So you pretty much get darwin with a few extra things; you won't get aqua.
  3. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
  4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I was reading about this. You need a real Mac to get it to work. Apparently, if you work hard enough, you can get the LoginWindow to appear. Seems pretty cool. The guy who did this is a Mac user, and apparently isn't interested in getting OS X to work on any PC (although that's what he did, sorta). He just did it for fun.
  5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Somewhere in the United States, the Steve Jobs Mob is kicking down some poor geek's door to "ask them a few questions" followed up by a road trip out to where the ground is soft. :p

I was speculating on another thread that in order to run OS X on a white box PC you'd have to clone the entire working hard drive of one of the Developer Boxes. Subsequent information about there being at least rudimentary checks in the Intel build that prevent even this from happening would seem to make running OS X on anything other than the Developer Box impossible.

Now I'm not so sure. It's kind of like comparing an apple with an orange, but apps like XPostFacto enable OS X on (sometimes highly) unsupported Apple hardware. If an actual fully-installed and working build of OS X Intel (or its installation DVD, which I believe is provided with the Developer Boxes) is let loose, I wonder if it could be hacked hard enough to trick it to install elsewhere GUI and all...

Of course, if this were to happen, some poor developer would at least lose a finger or two...