Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
ASUS hardware is so much better than Apples. You would be better off buying one of them.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I just wish that Apple would quit dragging their feet and update their old products to the processors that Intel is currently offering!

It seems to me Apple is going for 1 or 2 refresh per quarters. That way they can keep sale numbers high during the whole year instead of having ups and downs depending on which quarters saw a refresh and which didn't.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
They could've made the screen larger!!!! Look at all the space they used for the frame... what a shame...

But ASUS better watch out, you know how Apple likes to go on suing sprees LOL

And no, ASUS is NOT copying apple's shape... It's the only way you can build a super thin laptop...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Looks like future MacBook Pros will look similar to that as well, and the MacBook Air line will become the new MacBook, i'm guessing.

Doubt it. The Air is still a rather neutered MacBook, due to lack of speed and storage when compared.

There are 4 tiers of computing in Apple (putting aside the iPhone and mp3 players)--basic portable (iPad), limited fully functional portable (AirBook), fully functional portable (MacBook), fully functional desktop (iMac), ultra-functional (MacPro). I doubt Apple is going to play games between these lines and make their fully functional portables limit down just to fit a form factor. People with fully functional portables use them for serious work more often than not, and that niche is strong.

What I am curious about is when Mac, leading the industry as seen in this article, will get the balls to chop off the AirBook keyboard and make it a tablet with full OSX. The industry, not the consumers, is so hesitant to take the obvious step. While these thin laptop/netbooks will have a market, the market for them is evaporating as the form+function+convenience of the tablet becomes craved. I'd bet the non-pro/work portables are all tablets by 2014; especially after reading about the expected reduction in power consumption by Intel processors in 2013. Less heat, less bulk, less battery, smaller form, all spells portability.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
With your posts and sig I believe you may be in the wrong place?

His post was factual :

500x_squaretrade3.jpg

Sony, Toshiba and Asus produce more "reliable" laptops than Apple. Is stating facts against the forum rules or something ? Why is he in the wrong place based on his statement ?

Am I also in the wrong place because I dug up that graph ? ;)

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
iToys are ALL that Apple truly cares about. They make more profit for Apple than any other product.

Computers are on the back burner.

Right. Because Apple hasn't introduced any significant updates to Macs for ages! Or are you just one of those people that doesn't consider an update significant unless it comes with a shiny new case?... If that's the case (the pun wasn't intended, but lol) check out the new MBA then. :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Find one "Positive" post about apple

Is there something in the forum rules about having to post "positives" about Apple ? Maybe he's the kind of guy who doesn't post just to say he agrees with something or finds something positive.

Everyone has a place here and a right to be here as long as they follow the rules and no one should question why anyone is on this forum.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ate least it looks easy to open.

Yeah, what's up with that ? the MBA commercial makes it seem so easy to open the thing with 1 hand. No one has yet managed to reproduce that on my Air, not even me (and I open it multiple times a day). The hinge is tight and so trying to open it like in the commercial results in the whole thing lifting off the table.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
from the same article said:
Once again, Apple's ratings are in their own league despite the fact that 15% of the Apple notebooks rated in our survey needed repairs within the last 12 months. That's significantly worse than the industry average, and it's a higher rate of repair than everyone but Alienware (21%), Dell (19%), and Gateway (16%). Nine brands had better repair rates; three were even down into the single digits: Samsung (5%), Asus (9%) and Acer (9%).
So, basically Apple customers like the product despite worse reliability. I do too, but facts are facts.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Is there something in the forum rules about having to post "positives" about Apple ? Maybe he's the kind of guy who doesn't post just to say he agrees with something or finds something positive.

Everyone has a place here and a right to be here as long as they follow the rules and no one should question why anyone is on this forum.

Jesus christ. You're making out i've attacked him. Just pointing out something obvious. Its an apple forum to discuss apple?

:rolleyes: < this smiley doesn't do justice.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You're making out i've attacked him. Just pointing out something obvious. Its an apple forum to discuss apple?

You did attack him and you weren't discussing Apple (he was though), you were discussing the poster. You were basically attacking the messenger instead of the message. His post was simply pointing out that Asus has better reliability than Apple in certain recent studies, which is a factual point and is very much on-topic for the thread.

If you have no rebuttal to that point, don't reply to the poster rather than replying and questioning his motives for being on the forum. And why are you now getting mad because I'm questioning your motive for posting ? You questioned someone else, you should assume it's then valid to question your own motives. Do unto others...

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
They could've made the screen larger!!!! Look at all the space they used for the frame... what a shame...

But ASUS better watch out, you know how Apple likes to go on suing sprees LOL

And no, ASUS is NOT copying apple's shape... It's the only way you can build a super thin laptop...

Great post!

Once again this proves the terrific benefit of competition.

Apple is very fortunate to have Intel building their processors.

Ever since Apple saw the light, set aside their uncontrollable ego, and got serious about using the excellent Intel chips, Macs have been better off.

This road map is ideal for the PC makers as well. Once again Intel prevails. :)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You did attack him and you weren't discussing Apple (he was though), you were discussing the poster. You were basically attacking the messenger instead of the message. His post was simply pointing out that Asus has better reliability than Apple in certain recent studies, which is a factual point and is very much on-topic for the thread.

If you have no rebuttal to that point, don't reply to the poster rather than replying and questioning his motives for being on the forum. And why are you now getting mad because I'm questioning your motive for posting ? You questioned someone else, you should assume it's then valid to question your own motives. Do unto others...

haha listen to yourself.

He didn't mention anything about "reliability" and didn't link any "studies". he came into the thread and bashed apple as what he does with all his other post (if you bother to click the link).

Whats the point being on an apple forum if you have no interest in apple?

I'm pretty much done on this now so i apologize in advance for not replying to your next post.

Cheers

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
You shouldn't have done that Asus, now Apple will sue you for copying the MacBook Air!

Looks like future MacBook Pros will look similar to that as well, and the MacBook Air line will become the new MacBook, i'm guessing.
Here's to Ultrabooks, sounds ultra expensive.

The biggest issue with Samsung and Apple is that Samsung has/had access to iOS products early because they were involved in the manufacturing chain. So when they come out with products that look and act very similar to Apple's it's like insider trading. I don't think Apple will care much about this new Asus laptop. Companies will always mimic Apple because Apple has more influence on trends than any other single computer company.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
His post was factual :

500x_squaretrade3.jpg

Sony, Toshiba and Asus produce more "reliable" laptops than Apple. Is stating facts against the forum rules or something ? Why is he in the wrong place based on his statement ?

Am I also in the wrong place because I dug up that graph ? ;)
Way to go telling everyone that the sample size for this survey was 30k laptops and conducted by SquareTrade. Using a study published by an insurance sales group? What next? Are you going to publish McAfee reports on how the amount of malware is going out of control?

How gullible are you?

Please have a read:
http://www.resourcesforlife.com/docs/item2594

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
WELL DONE ASUS, you've completely copied the MacBook Air. Couldn't think of anything else to design, so they took apart an MBA and replicated it, changed a COUPLE of things, and BAM, they unleash the UX 21. Idiots.

It's like a one-to-one copy.

I know Jonny Shih said he wanted Asus to be the Apple of the Wintel world, but it looks like he actually meant he wanted Asus to *be* Apple. LOL

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/10/asus-wants-to-be-another-apple/

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/MailHome.asp?datePublish=2010/2/10&pages=PD&seq=221

Asustek chairman Jonney Shih pointed out that the company is aiming to become another Apple, but will instead adopt open-source platforms including ARM and Google combinations, and Windows/Intel to suit consumer demand.

Asustek also said that it will launch a "killer product" in June.

Point of order: you can't "adopt open-source platforms including ARM and Google combinations" and hope to be another Apple. Wrong business model. Blatant copying doesn't quite cut it, either.

Where was that Killer product in June 2010? :confused:

ASUS hardware is so much better than Apples. You would be better off buying one of them.

What about the software? That's kinda a big part of buying a Mac. :confused:

No OS X, no sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.