intel overheat protection on these new chips?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by flir67, Mar 18, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

does anyone know if any of these duo-core chips have thermal heatprotection built in,so the processor won't burn itself up if the cpu fan stopped working,etc.

I know the p4's had them but haven't heard a thing about the centrino's or duo-core ones.

this is goes way back to the days of overclockin and was a nice feature.

thanks in advance.
    flir67:)

2. macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I imagine they do, but I'd like to know too for sure!

3. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I'm pretty sure they do or Apple wouldn't use them. I know the G4 and G5 chips have it, doesn't really make sense they would go back on safety.

4. macrumors 68000

technicolor

No they expect you to pay 2 grand for a computer for it to burn itself up.That way they can sell more.

5. macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

This is particuarly interesting, especially in light of the problems MacBook Pro users have reported with their installations of Windows XP causing heat issues...

If the chips defo did have built in sensors, at least they would be protected.

Does anybody know by the way, if you did have an overheating problem due to intalling windows, whether this would void the warranty?

6. macrumors 601

generik

If that's the case I'll just unplug this little cable here on my mini, let it burn up, replug the cable back in, and send the cinders in for a replacement under applecare just for kicks! :D

7. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I believe that since the later-era P3, Intel has included thermal sensors built onto the CPU. AMD played catch-up in this part of the CPU race.

Motherboard based solutions aren't the same as CPU based ones. Nearly all modern CPUs from AMD and Intel have CPU based protection. The Core Duo shouldn't be any different.

9. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Keep in mind everyone... older processors used here. AMD's newer stuff won't crispify themselves. Don't every go freak out at once, okay? (Although it is pretty cool to watch the CPUs burn :D)

10. macrumors 6502a

All Intel's CPUs have overheat protection. That's one of the reasons why they can offer lifetime warranty on their chips, compared to AMD's 3 years limited warranty.

Oded S.

11. macrumors member

jsw123

occasionally if i leave my mbp running for a long amount of time it gets real hot and start to smell kind of smokey.

12. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Thats just the metal, all new PowerBooks (and apparently MBPs) do that, all mine did. If it doesn't go away in a week or to let Apple know.

13. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Mine never did... 12" Rev. C G4 PowerBook. And why would metal smell smokey?

14. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I don't think it's really the metal that smells, but I've found most electronics (that get hot) can smell funny for the first few weeks.