Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
A computer doesn't know if it is a Mac or not. lol

would it be possible for a Intel PC to run Mac OSX Natively not with a emulator and with out emulation.

Edit: my brother reminded me I didn't think of the Drivers, I have run virtual PC a lot over the years on windows and I think the very generic type PC that it emulates might work for Mac OSX, because it has most devices that are only Intel and just generic S3 video.

Last edited:

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
probably so and with out Steve Jobs, we probably would not get it to work.

it would seem logical though if you had a PC that mostly resembled a Intel Mac, not matching the looks but the hardware of a Mac.

I thought of another idea, there is a graphical user interface that was for Ms-Dos called GEM that Apple Actually sued Digital Research over, it wouldn't be to hard to load on your Dos PC. lol

What would worked better and looks more like Mac OS is Geos but it was never really ported to Dos, they have geoworks but that looks like windows and not the original Geos from C64..

Last edited:

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
google hackintosh there are a couple of forums explaining how to do it.

Yes I've heard of that, but I don't want to use hacks either. I just had a break through.

If you want to run Mac OSX natively on a PC with out using hacks or emulation there is only one way to do it Build a specialized PC for it called a Mac. In other words Build your own Mac, That is what I am going to attempt to do.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Yes I've heard of that, but I don't want to use hacks either. I just had a break through.

If you want to run Mac OSX natively on a PC with out using hacks or emulation there is only one way to do it Build a specialized PC for it called a Mac. In other words Build your own Mac, That is what I am going to attempt to do.
What you described is exactly what a Hackintosh is.

A Hackintosh is a computer you assemble yourself, using specific parts that are known to work, and which acts like a Mac when it's completed. You really should research it before dismissing it as not what you want.

Sometimes there are problems, however. In other words, the fidelity to an actual Mac is imperfect.

Reactions: old-wiz

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
What you described is exactly what a Hackintosh is.

A Hackintosh is a computer you assemble yourself, using specific parts that are known to work, and which acts like a Mac when it's completed. You really should research it before dismissing it as not what you want.

Sometimes there are problems, however. In other words, the fidelity to an actual Mac is imperfect.

I'm not so sure that is what I want at all, though it may be similar in principal. Right now I'm still trying to get my G4 fixed the way I want it. After that though I'm bound to end up with extra parts like I'm going have a 512mb SO-Dimm shortly that came in my G4 that is not going be used and I've built my own PC's for many years so custom building a Mac isn't beyond my capabilities, I don't really want a PC intel computer as a Mac.

I plan to buy a Mac Intel dual core Motherboard, because some my statements may have been misleading. Instead of saying that a computer doesn't know whether it is a Mac or Not, that isn't really the case it is rather hardware that doesn't know for it's own self what type of computer it is installed in.

I have no intention of trying to convert a Intel PC over to a Mac or turn it into one I've already decided that I'm going start with a Mac and everything that goes inside it will be Mac because I want everthing to work 100 Percent and I want it to be a Mac. I'm going keep mine as close to a Mac as possible but I think I can build it cheaper one part at a time rather than buy it all in one and I am bound to end up with some extra parts anyway so will be My side project nothing will be like a HackinTosh in the end my Mac will be nothing different from the same existing Macintosh I plan to buy one part at a time and build myself.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I plan to buy a Mac Intel dual core Motherboard, .. I've already decided that I'm going start with a Mac and everything that goes inside it will be Mac because I want everthing to work 100 Percent and I want it to be a Mac. I'm going keep mine as close to a Mac as possible but I think I can build it cheaper one part at a time rather than buy it all in one .

You'll likely find that the Apple Intel motherboard will cost many hundreds of dollars, even used (not available new, needless to say Apple does not permit them to be sold). Then you'll find it needs a proprietary power supply arrangement so you will have to do some physical hacking of an ATX PSU. Having said that, the hard drive and optical drive are the same as PC. You'll be dollars ahead to just find a good used Macintosh Intel machine.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
You'll likely find that the Apple Intel motherboard will cost many hundreds of dollars, even used (not available new, needless to say Apple does not permit them to be sold). Then you'll find it needs a proprietary power supply arrangement so you will have to do some physical hacking of an ATX PSU. Having said that, the hard drive and optical drive are the same as PC. You'll be dollars ahead to just find a good used Macintosh Intel machine.

True, but I may do just that buy a Intel Mac that has a dual core Motherboard already. I don't like hacking or using hacks and the idea sounded fun at first but it is probably much better just to save up the money and buy a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.