Intel Power Mac - When?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Noted, May 24, 2006.

1. Noted macrumors member

I've heard nothing about when the new Intel Power Mac will be coming out? Some say July and some say next year.

Does anyone know or has there been any news from Apple?

2. howesey macrumors 6502a

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The processors need to come out first. I think the common belief is an announcement towards the end of the summer with availability by the end of the year.

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

It won't happen next year - Steve told us they would finish 'em this year

Wait for the Intel release of Conroe/Woodcrest first, then look for the Mac Pro.

Oh, by the way, there are at least 3 other threads on this same item already...right???

6. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think it's safe to say an announcement at least won't be around until the Woodcrest/Conroe processors are released. They wanna make the Mac Pro stand out as a high end machine. Good things come to those who wait. :D

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

...Like a universal binary for Adobe Creative Suite? :rolleyes:

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Probably the same week when the above mentioned procs have ben released or at the next Apple Expo that is after the introduction of the procs.

9. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Other than the chips, I bet that the Mac Pro's are ready to go. I'm guessing that they might be easier for Apple to have built than the G5's were:
    - Maybe Intel will be designing the motherboard.
    - I'm guessing that the Intel Mac Pro won't require the sophisticated cooling system in the current G5's.

Regardless of when the CPU's will be ready, I bet that Apple will hold off from releasing the Mac Pro until all or at least a majority of Apple's pro apps are universal. What good is a super machine if it cannot run super software?