Intel Powerbook... mid 2006 or late 2007?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, Jun 6, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I can't find anything in the hundreds of pages of discussion in the article thread. Plus, I think it deserves it's own thread.

So, I'm planning on buying a PB in summer of 2007... and I'm wondering what you all think the chances are of having the PB line being one of the first lines to switch to Intel?

I know PMs should be last and low end Macs should be first, which would make it logical that PBs would be second to last. But I'm thinking that because of the dead end the PB line has come to with it's G4 chip, Apple might be in more of a hurry to put an Intel processor in a PB. What do you think?

2. jonomo macrumors regular

I'm impressed that you plan your purchases 2 years in advance... Maybe I'm just an impulse buyer! hehe :cool:

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I too am impressed with your planning. I think the PB is a prime candidate for the the Intel chip first. It is lagging far worse than the PM is. But that is just my two cents. ;)

Edit: I have read in other threads that the consumer products are likely to updated first, but I just don't buy that, as the PB is sorely lagging right now.

4. TrumanApple macrumors member

i agree, the bread and butter and future of intel is the pentium m. The pentium m is a powerful low voltage processor, and the g4 powerbooks are underpowered. It would make perfect sense to move the powerbooks over in 2006 when yonah is out (intels dual core pentium m). Then later, intel will probably abandon the pentium 4 netburst archetecture and adopt a more pentium m like processor that is more powerful and is allowed to consume more energy. I dont EVER see a powermac running a pentium 4. The G5 is better than the pentium 4, but the g4, nor the g5 are better clock for clock than the pentium m. (but the g5 is made into a dual 2.7 right now, while pentium m is only single 2ghz).

EDIT: when i said that i dont ever see a powermac running a pentium 4, i meant apple SELLING to consumers a powermac with a pentium 4. (steve has already used a 3.6ghz p4)

5. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Agreed

I agree, I think we will see an intel based Powerbook BEFORE a Powermac, and it will be awesome, and I will want one. :cool:

6. TrumanApple macrumors member

oh yeah

For those who doubt that the pentium m will take over in desktops also, read this article on tomshardware that shows that pentium m has a better future than the athlon 64 FX-55 and the pentium 4 dual core extreme edition.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

very interesting... def. proves the g4 can not even claim to be in the same league as the pentium m (i said this a year ago, and people called me numerious names because i said somehting bad about their powerbooks)

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I agree. I think we will see intel PBs as early as MWSF 2006 "if" the intel version of Tiger is released with them. Steve didn't say that Leopard was needed for intel support so I dont see that holding things back...

8. Crikey macrumors 6502

I think the original poster will be looking at an Intel-based PowerBook in the summer of 2007.

Crikey

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

You right. Did you listen to Steves entire Keynote? He said that they have been making backups for intel processors just incase for the past 5 years (Marklar) There already is a version of Tiger for Intel. Its just doesn;t have all the tweaks out of it yet.