Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That's pretty inaccurate. Literally everyone makes snap decisions based on the physical evidence presented to them. For example, when we are driving and we see red octagons on the side of the road, we will invariably assume those are stop signs, regardless of the words written on them. Likewise, if a person shows up to a multi-million dollar business meeting in jean cut-offs and a sleeveless shirt, EVERYONE else at the table will have certain automatic responses to the visual data. The human mind has been trained to work like this since we came down from the trees and had to start dealing with predators.

Of course, people can and will correct their initial snap judgments, but A) not all the time, and B) even after correction, those snap judgments tend to color future behavior.

Again guys, if you're materialistic, deal with it yourself, don't project on the whole world. There is no human mind or everyone at work here.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Again guys, if you're materialistic, deal with it yourself, don't project on the whole world. There is no human mind or everyone at work here.

Are you implying that not everyone spends the day camped out near an electrical outlet at Starbucks so that everyone can see the glowing fruit logo on his laptop?

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
They can call them a new generation if they want! It doesn't matter! Are you reading what I say at all? Manufacturing generations and microarchitectural generations are different! From a historical technological point of view, it's not two generations. From Intel's, marketing/production's point of view, it's a new generation of processor. There is a difference, and because generation has no set meaning they call it that...Do you get it now?

I fail to see your point. I understand what you are saying but it seems flawed somehow. First Sandy Bridge uses a different socket, ring bus, fully integrated graphics (that are twice as fast as the previous core i processors), etc. and are very different from what was available previously. This does matter because this defines a generation. Why is a Pentium 4 different compared to a core 2 duo?

Second, it does matter what something is called. Language is created through a common agreement on words. If the majority agree that a certain word has a certain meaning then the word gains that meaning (like all sorts of slang). Society agrees that this word denotes this and so that word means that.

kdimitt

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
I fail to see your point. I understand what you are saying but it seems flawed somehow. First Sandy Bridge uses a different socket, ring bus, fully integrated graphics (that are twice as fast as the previous core i processors), etc. and are very different from what was available previously. This does matter because this defines a generation. Why is a Pentium 4 different compared to a core 2 duo?

Second, it does matter what something is called. Language is created through a common agreement on words. If the majority agree that a certain word has a certain meaning then the word gains that meaning (like all sorts of slang). Society agrees that this word denotes this and so that word means that.

It may appear to hold matter to the user or consumer, but a producer does not have to oblige those concerns. Look at food for example, there are hundreds of products labeled as 100% Natural, but that isn't the 100% truth. Because 100% Natural is (or at least wasn't for a long time) not regulated by the FDA, producers can call it what they want. This is the exact same thing that Intel and AMD and everyone has done.

Generation was used to describe the technological advancements of CPU's, now its used more in conjunction with manufacturing releases (yes they use it generally with significant performance increases but not by the same standard it used to be measured, the double of nm architecture). What defines a generation to you, and apparently most of this blog (which in no way is a certain factor of a majority) feel that a generation can be defined by subsequent processor releases coupled with significant performance increases. That's what Intel and other brands have fed you and you have adopted it, so be it. That makes neither you or myself wrong, you have adopted a slang form of generation (as your use was not the first) and I still believe in using the term 'generation' in the old context. I say at this point we agree to disagree, because neither of us is right or wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.