Intel Processor in a PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kopachris, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Kopachris macrumors newbie

As you can tell from my sig, I have a PowerBook G4. My dad got it about a year ago, but recently got an HP Pavillion dv9000z because he needed to run Windows (not just Virtual PC). He gave me this PowerBook for Christmas. I have since then been wondering... is it conceivably possible to put an Intel processor in it and remove the PowerPC G4 processor? If so, this would save me a lot of time saving up money for something that will be obsolete by the time I have enough to buy it. The PowerBook and the MacBook Pro are almost exactly the same, save the power adapter, processor, camera, and the express card reader.

2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I suppose it's possible, but you will need an expert to do it.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

no I would suggest if you need windows on it to save up and buy a refurbished macbook or macbook pro.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

The amount of time you spend and the knowledge you would need to seek would not be worth it.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

No matter how much you experiment, you will alway be left with the same result. Failure. They are completely different architectures, you would have to code a new chipset, build a new logic board.

It just isn't possible at all.

Now, it may be possible to take Macbook Pro innards and get them into a powerbook.... It still might require a little work. But you would have to buy a new logic board, a processor, ram, probably airport.

It may or may not be worth it. It could turn out to be a fun and not too expensive project. I doubt it is worth it though.

This will get you started... http://cgi.ebay.com/15-MacBook-Pro-...ryZ25439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. Kopachris thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. Just wondering. I guess I'll just have to wait a few years...:(
    P.S. You gotta remember that I'm only 13 and what I spend my money on is still greatly influenced by my dad.

8. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Save up a bit and pick up a new mac. You can also pick up a 4 year old windows xp laptop to do whatever you need for a really low price on craigslist.

9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I have to ask... why exactly do you want a computer with an Intel processor?

The PowerBook G4 you have is plenty fast for most things... I'd suggest focusing on learning how to use it and get the most out of it. It really is a nice computer - better than the one I'm currently using, and I'm 32. ;)

We all want the fastest / best computer possible - but sometimes it's easy to take the one we already have for granted.

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The G4 can't run Windows natively, which is what the OP wants to do. OP can't learn how to do that on a G4.

11. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Let me give you the expert advice: no.

Sorry to break your heart, but the chipset of the PowerPC PowerBook G4 and the chipset of the Intel MacBook Pro are fundamentally different.

That being said, the world isn't over. Save up. Start a paper route. Wait tables. Work extra hours. Tutor high school kids. Hell, get a job at your local Apple Store and get their discount.

You can do it. If there's a will, there's a way.

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That wasn't my point, but okay... :confused: :rolleyes:

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Probably wants to game. Thats why he wants windows. Cant appreciate the G4. I'd say the only thing similar is that they're both made out of aluminum. If it aint gaming, then the G4 is good enough.

Oh the wonder of a young inexperienced mind...its not that simple.

edit: read his sig. he has a 17 incher.

"If so, this would save me a lot of time saving up money for something that will be obsolete by the time I have enough to buy it."
    the OP logic is flawed. You can save up as much money as you want. By that time you'll have enough money to afford what is current on the market. Something that you're saving up for NOW will be obsolete, therefore a helluva lot cheaper, therefore more affordable if anything.

15. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

A ferrari and a Vauxhal with a body kit also look the same but that does not mean you can put the ferrari engine in the vauxhal.

G4 and x86 (intel) are different platforms that are incompatible. So, you will never accomplish that. forget it.

16. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Ask your dad for permission to ebay it?

There a 15" PB on ebay at the moment for $1,000. Yours should be worth more.
    Then use the money for a refurbished macbook or even a low end mbp (depending on what you want and how much money you get)

17. pengu macrumors 6502a

Wow. your dad gave you a 17" laptop with 2gb of ram and a 1.6ghz CPU. i can totally see why that isnt good enough and you want to spend more of his money futzing with it.

kid, your spoilt. learn to appreciate what you have a little more.

18. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The PowerBook and MacBook Pro ARE NOT THE SAME.

On the inside it is TOTALLY Different.

Whole different Logic Board, Chipset, Graphics Card. We all wish it was as simple as swapping processors but you just can't.

If anything, sell the PowerBook and make some decent money and pickup a MacBook Pro.

That is a pretty nice PowerBook though...

19. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

The original poster never even said that he wanted to run Windows. He said that his dad bought an HP to run Windows, and that's how he ended up with the PowerBook.

He never gave a reason why he wanted an intel processor. I think he was just curious.

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

That was a bad example, for a couple of reasons.

1) There is no way a Vauxhall could look like a Ferrari, to make a body kit to look the same you need something with the same kind of profile, something Vauxhall don't make.

2) Putting in a Ferrari Engine in a Vauxhall is very much a possibility. Much more than putting an intel processor in a G4 PB.

21. Kopachris thread starter macrumors newbie

The subject has already been resolved. Also, I am a middle school kid, so I can't tutor high school kids. I would have rather had a Windows computer with only 512 Mb ram, 14.1" display, and a 1Ghz processor than a Mac, thank you very much pengu. That's because up until a year ago, we have never had a Mac, so most of our stuff is for Windows. So in a word, yes, I want an Intel processor to run Windows. Can someone please close this now?

22. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you don't need it for gaming and you need to run XP, sell your PB and buy a refurb 2.0GHz MacBook and display.

that'd be very fun as well :D

EDIT; just saw you wanted it purely for windows. why not buy a PC?

23. Kopachris thread starter macrumors newbie

My dad got this PB, gave it to me for Christmas, technically he still owns it, he controls my money. Please read the whole topic.

24. emac82 macrumors 6502

Hey, some of these guys are just trying to help. There are some pretty cool games out there for Mac, and a lot of fun software, so I think if you gave it a chance you'd be a Mac lover forever.

However, if you Dad would let you sell it, you could still get a fair chunk of change for that beast, and buy yourself a new Windows only machine. :) :)

25. Kopachris thread starter macrumors newbie

My dad got this PB, gave it to me for Christmas, technically he still owns it, he controls my money. Please read the whole topic. And yes, I do want it for gaming. The "stuff" I'm talking about that we have for Windows are pretty much just a bunch of games. Other than that, all I need that's Windows is MS Visual Studio 2005.
    I already asked him. He said no. Sorry about getting a little mad, It's 10:15 here and I have to get up at 2 am tomorrow (goin truck driving with my dad). Good night.