Intel Quarterly Earnings Call: Kentsfield Q4 2006; Conroe will Be Fully Stocked

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jiggie2g, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Seems Kemtsfrield and Cloverton will arrive a quarter early , Just in time for MWSF. Looks like Mulitimedia might get his 8 Core Octamac afterall.

I find this as on odd move on Intel's part, even though Kents is supposed to be an Extreme Edition part. Intel risk's cannibalizing their Core 2 Duo(high end)sales by releasing this chip when Conroe will not even be 4 months old. Even Yonah got a good 8 month run before Intel put that cpu to bed. In any case it's good to hear Otellini say that Conroe will be shipping in volume at launch , so with luck there will not be too much price gouging with retailers(you hear that Newegg).

I see many people at the hardware forums backpedaling and considering the purchase of a lower end Core 2 (E6300,E6400) as a stop gap till Kents prices are reasonable. I am leaning towards doing the same as I had planned to get a Quad core in the 1st place but was going to wait till summer '07 and get atleast a year out of an E6600 before selling it. Now my plans are screwed.

Damn you Intel for making me want to buy so much stuff. What's your take people?

Anyway here is the link

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/0/64110.html

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3421

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1896197&enterthread=y

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107736

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It's very interesting how Intel are ahead of their roadmap on a lot of products these days. Obviously a reat situation for Apple. I guess they were feeling the pressure from AMD.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

remember Q4 is financial year so it's July 1, 2006 – September 30. thus we are in Q4, wtf.

heres hopeing for clovertown mac pro's at WWDC first computers to ship quad core.

4. jiggie2g thread starter macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Intel's fiscal year runs with the calender year , unlike many other companies . so when they mention Q4 2006 they mean oct-dec

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm not sure that's true.

Q1 for release dates for products doesn't follow the US fiscal year (like above...don't forget the rest of the world has different fiscal years....most start in april) starts in January-march inclusive, Q2 is april to june, q3 is july to sept. q4 is oct to december.

6. jiggie2g thread starter macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Also when companies talk about launching hardware they usually refer to the Calender year in order to avoid confusion. I know this to be the case with AMD , Intel , ATI and Nvidia.

Looks like Merom with launch with Conroe according to what Otellini said. I guess Intel is laying the Hammer to AMD and showing their full strength when it comes to manufacturing.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this is the financial result calling though.

damn them

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds good to me. Go Intel, hit the competition where it hurts! :D :)

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I seriously wonder what AMDs next moves are going to be.

I doubt they'll let Intel hold the performance crown for long.