Intel releases newer, SLOWER mobile chip

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gaomay, Jan 10, 2003.

1. gaomay macrumors regular

This could be good news for Apple:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7135

Seems that the next-gen Intel notebook chios will not be using a Mhz rating as they'll be clocked slower than current P4s - maybe as much as 1ghz slower!

Good news for Apple, especially if this is the year of the notebook.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Intel releases newer, SLOWER mobile chip

From the AP:

Intel to Release New Laptop Chipset

Jan 10, 5:17 AM (ET)

LAS VEGAS (AP) - In a break with its tradition of making ever faster computer processors, Intel Corp. (INTC)'s newest chip, dubbed Centrino, will be slower than current processors, while giving future laptops longer battery life and built-in wireless networking capabilities.

Speaking at the International Consumer Electronics Show, Intel chief executive Craig Barrett said the Centrino microprocessor, chip set and networking technology would be released in the first half of the year.

Barrett said Intel will announce by March which laptop makers will build the Centrino technology into their machines. Intel developed the technology under the code name Banias.

Intel said the Centrino components are based on a new microprocessor architecture aimed at mobile computing, designed to enable computer makers to build thinner, lighter machines that use less power and thus don't require frequent battery charges.

The first Centrino components will use the 802.11b wireless, or WiFi standard. By the end of the second quarter, Intel will release a version that uses the faster 802.11a standard, Barrett said.

Funny isn't it? We get a new Powerbook with all of the bells and wistles at our show, and the PC weenies get a slower laptop chip just to eek out some more battery juice, and then they pick 802.11a.

Regards,
    Gus

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Well, 802.11a isn't a bad choice...its running on a different frequency.

As for Centrino formally known as Banias...this chip was built from the ground up specifically for laptops...its power management is similar to the Transmata Crusoe chips and has varible bus timing, etc.

This is why the chip is slower...its not a derivative of a fast desktop chip.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Think Steve knew Intel had this 802.11a technology waiting to be released when he was bashing it at the keynote? :p

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

did my thread get hijacked?

It's no big deal, really, but I started this thread earlier today, and now it shows it being started by somebody else, and their post is ahead of mine. Wierd.

Regards,
    Gus

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it will be interesting to see what happens with intel's banias

right now, battery time is the weakest link in the pc mobile computing field

my ibook, which got 4 hours battery time out of the box new still gets over 2 hours... 37 months later!

...my pc laptop, bought the same week as the ibook in december '99, had 1 1/2 hours out of the box new and died a year later...for the past two years, i have used the pc laptop on ac power and i find it a waste of money to shell out 150 bucks for a new battery which will only give me 90 minutes of free operating time away from an outlet

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: did my thread get hijacked?

arn probably joined them...

As for this new chip, it may be able to last something like 6 or 7 or even more hours on a laptop with a 12" screen and the new 17" PowerBook battery... Finally, though, someone realizes that speed isn't everything...

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Heh...

...I take it you guys haven't realized that this chip is a lot more G4 like than the Pentium 4. It has a lower clock frequency, it may not be actually be slower. Don't fall for the MHz Myth ;)

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Battery life on PC laptops is generally horrible. The Pentium 4-Mobile consumed enough power, but many makers have put actual Pentium 4's in their notebooks.

2 hours on the PC side is generally what you can expect, so something had to be done. Companies, such as Compaq (now part of HP) are even offering a second battery for free.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

imagine carrying around a generally heavier compaq, plus an extra battery!

the 4.6 lb 12" inch powerbook seems pretty amazing and it may be a long time before the pc side can match that weight/battery life ratio

11. yosoyjay macrumors regular

I'm sure he knew. I've know about it for at least three months. And everyone I talk to about it seems to say the same thing: That sucks.

12. yosoyjay macrumors regular

It varies greatly. Have you seen the Toshiba PC laptop that can last up to 12 hours? Then there are PC like you said, probably with desktop chips, that will last 2 hours out of the box. In general I think this is a good development no matter who manufactures it. Less power consumption, faster, built in 802.11b. I just don't understand why they would choose 802.11a and not integrate bluetooth. The competition in general is good.