Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Is this relevant news for Air?

If so, is it good or bad news?

Hmm...I think it's relevant and only slightly good news because while it's better than the current ULV core i7's, it would still cripple the MBA (assuming there's still integrated intel hd graphics). Staying with the core 2 duos would still be better than using these newer i7s.

Raje

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Bad news, imo, if Apple uses it. I do not see it being faster than a C2D, and depending on the graphics and power consumption it may yield less battery life than a C2D. Also if Apple wants to use this chip it means an update would be delayed until fall. However, if Apple does use this chip it could show that they are still interested in the air (of course this all depends upon the specs)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Apple isn't going to change its strategy with the MBA if it plans to update it soon. Apple has a history of using the same internal strategy with the 13" MBA, 13" MBP, 13" MB, Mac mini, and 20/21.5" iMac. I fully expect a new MBA with a C2D and Nvidia 320m before or at WWDC.

If Apple doesn't update the MBA before or at WWDC I would be shocked. Any MBA coming later in the year will not be able to use the C2D as Intel is done manufacturing them at the end of 2010. At that time, I still see Apple using a low voltage CPU and not an ultra low voltage CPU. Also note, Intel's next generation 32nm mobile CPUs have 2X the GMA IGP capabilities. Apple might go with the Intel HD as sole graphics then... it's almost forced to either do that or go AMD. It seems obvious the dedicated graphics will not fit in the MBA, as if it did I believe the 13" MBP would have gotten the dedicated first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.