Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel has released detailed information about its upcoming Skylake processors for notebooks and desktops ahead of IFA 2015 in Berlin (via Ars Technica). The sixth-generation chips will deliver CPU and GPU performance improvements and longer battery life, and are likely to power future MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and iMac models released over the next year.

macbook_pro_15_imac_27.jpg

Retina MacBook

Intel's new lineup of Core M processors appropriate for the 12-inch Retina MacBook will provide up to 10 hours of battery life, between 10%-20% faster CPU performance and up to 40% faster graphics compared to equivalent Broadwell chips.

CPU World accurately shared Core m3, Core m5 and Core m7 specifications last week, with all three families of chips including Intel HD 515 graphics, 4MB of L3 cache and 4.5 watt thermal design power (TDP).

Intel-Skylake-Core-M-MacBook.jpg

The low-end Core m3 6Y30 replaces the Core M-5Y31 and is likely suited for the base model 12-inch MacBook sold for $1,299. The mid-tier Core m5 6Y54 and Core m5 6Y57 replace the Core M-5Y51 on the high-end 12-inch MacBook sold for $1,599, while the high-end Core m7 6Y75 replaces the Core M-5Y71 for top-of-the-line 12-inch MacBook custom configurations.

Core M processors have configurable TDPs, allowing for performance and heat output to be adjusted. Core m3, m5 and m7 chips can be run at 3.5-3.8 watts or be increased to 7 watts to allow for higher CPU clock speeds. For the current 12-inch MacBook, Apple boosted the 900 MHz 5Y31 chip to 1.1 GHz, 1.1 GHz 5Y51 chip to 1.2 GHz and 1.2 GHz 5Y71 chip to 1.3 GHz.

Ars Technica notes that Core M processors should be available to Apple and other PC makers now, meaning that Core m3, m5 and m7-powered notebooks could begin shipping within the next few months. However, given that the 12-inch MacBook just launched in April, it remains uncertain if Apple is willing to release updated models this soon or hold off until 2016.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Intel Unveils Full Lineup of Skylake Processors for Notebooks and Desktops, Early 2016 Likely for Most Macs

Last edited:
Reactions: TRDGT4Writer

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If the whole MacBook lineup is updated before the holidays, than I doubt we will see an event for Apple Watch 2 in March, meaning a September launch. If Apple delays the new models, than everything is launched next March.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Doh! I really need a new 15" MacBook Pro this year (and a MacBook Air - if it gets a redesign + retina).
Crossing my fingers for a surprise at the october event ...

Reactions: MareLuce

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
So could we see the first MBA with IrisPro graphics option? If so that makes it look far far more tempting than the MacBook and gives it a decent amount of grunt for a new Retina screen...

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Think it's time for Apple to start making their own chips again. The G3/G4/G5 chips (among others) were outstanding performers compared to the competition.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
In the current non retina state I think you are probably right. However, if they do add a retina screen then for those would like more grunt and ports than a MacBook I still think there is a place for it, otherwise there is no entry level Laptop Mac.

If you do add a retina screen with the Macbook air, how will you price it as it has to be more expensive than the macbook but cheaper than the pro. Which, to me doesn't leave much room as it will be a poor boy macbook pro IMO.

If they intend to keep the air model, keep the screen and ports as is and price it at 800-900 dollars and use that as the entry level mac laptop. Other than that, let it die and keep the macbook and macbook pro.

locky28

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2015
UK
So could we see the first MBA with IrisPro graphics option? If so that makes it look far far more tempting than the MacBook and gives it a decent amount of grunt for a new Retina screen...

Kind of! Two CPU's in the just announced 15w U-Series, the i7-6550U and the i5-6360U both come with "Iris" Graphics. These can expect up to 40% GPU Improvements of the previous equivalent.

The key difference between "Iris" and "Iris Pro" is the amount of EDRAM. These two chips come with 64mb whereas the Iris Pro chips (which will only be available in the 45w TDP CPU's) will have 128mb just like previous Iris Pro chips in Broadwell (15" R-MBP).

I'm pretty excited about the 28w i5-62X7U chips which will slip right into the 13" R-MBP and will also come with 64mb EDRAM!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.