Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NKTH

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2015
Hey guys, can you help me with some advice? I was saving up for a rMBP 13 as my old crappy laptop is freaking me out every single day. Being a law student I dont really need the performance of the Pro, but am just going for the retina display. Now, if one can expect that apple is going to redesign the next generation rMBP and make it look more like the Air, I would wait a little longer. However, waiting until 2016 would be too long. So should I go for the current 2015 rMBP 13 or wait for Skylake and a possible redesign?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It seems extremely unlikely from this roadmap that Skylake will show up in a Macbook Pro until sometime next spring.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
See, you fully understand it. Why would Apple make computers that a significant amount of gamers would be interested in if that would mean lower margins?

However, I see a lot of articles/posts about exchanging the GPU on iMacs, meaning they don't generally seem to be soldered to the motherboard.

They weren't in the past and but now they are.

No you don't, lol. iMacs haven't had upgradeable GPUs in.... well, actually I don't think they've ever had them.

They uses to be MXM slotted.

That only shows how to REPLACE a GPU, with the exact same part. It does not indicate that you can install any GPU you want to.

You can use any GPU supported by the nVidia driver on the green side and any supported by Apple on the red side.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Practically no one uses MXM GPUs except some big gaming notebooks usually clevo barebone based.
And the CPUs have gone BGA too which is largely something Intel is responsible of. The U series is BGA only and the H series as well.
It is really just where the entire market is moving. The only thing one can complain is that RAM is soldered because if there is just one memory fault, you have to replace the whole damn expensive logic board. me < had that problem. Seems ridiculous.

But in a few years the memory will be basically integrated on the interposer like the AMD Fury GPU. All APUs (CPU+GPU) will eventually have their memory right there on the silicon and there simply won't even be an option for exchangeable RAM modules for anyone.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Again, you're downplaying the importance of CPU speed. Your 20 second remark would get laughed at by someone who does work in premiere, after effects, etc.

20 seconds could be quite a large processor hike in Photoshop. But if someone genuinely relies on making money with pure CPU core and they can buy a case, spend the time tweaking and over clocking for increased performance and still make that time back over the space of the year with faster encodes then all power to them.

However if they do make so much money from saving small amounts of time in encoding processes its unlikely they'd then waste that time on a forum complaining that the iMac processor can't be overclocked "lulz".

Reactions: Tsaksonakis

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
If this turns out to be true, our computer upgrade cycle could last 7-8 years. Just buy a new GPU and plug it in! But I heard those external GPU's are super expensive you might as well build a gaming PC.

This will likely already be the existing upgrade cycle on most desktop based systems that are built around a more traditional PC build.

the current crop of Intel Desktop CPU's (i5s-i7's @ 88w), even the last couple gens (Ivy, Sandy, Haswell) are really capable CPU's. in normal desktop usage, they're likely not going to show their age even yet. Even in gaming, they're still not the primary bottleneck.

People running these current line of Intel CPU's aren't likely going to be replacing them in the next 3-5 years at least. Though, they'll still likely follow the GPU upgrade paths

This is where the process of using soldered in GPU's, and RAM in a desktop by companies like Apple and other "prebuilts" (apple isn't the only one doing this anymore) is annoying to the few of us. in a desktop like system, there's absolutely no need to go "super thin" and create a system that has complete soldered in parts, EXCEPT, to shorten this cycle by using GPU and RAM iterations to convince you to upgrade and buy a new computer.

most gamers, 1 year from now, when their GPU's can't keep up, will replace just their GPU. But maintain their core system for ~5 years. With this newer ethos of soldering parts, thats now 1-2 years. A much more predictable buying habit and more profit driven madness.

Give me an Apple computer with upgradable GPU (using off the shelf parts), even if it were external box, running OSx, and I'd probably jump on it in a second, Especially if it were laptop based.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hey guys, can you help me with some advice? I was saving up for a rMBP 13 as my old crappy laptop is freaking me out every single day. Being a law student I dont really need the performance of the Pro, but am just going for the retina display. Now, if one can expect that apple is going to redesign the next generation rMBP and make it look more like the Air, I would wait a little longer. However, waiting until 2016 would be too long. So should I go for the current 2015 rMBP 13 or wait for Skylake and a possible redesign?

Take the deal

Reactions: LordVic

iFishishh

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
MR mods heads-rent free
Use it, like i'm using mine, these wont be out until at least Feb/March next year, thats a solid 10 months of work.

I like how you said 10 months but it's actually 8 months... However with this baby that could be equivalent to 10 months based on personal work ethic and of course this marvelous baby (; I love apple:*****

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
However, waiting until 2016 would be too long. So should I go for the current 2015 rMBP 13 or wait for Skylake and a possible redesign?

If you are going to wait for the next upgrade, you will wait your whole life. Here is what once some one said. Buy a 2015 rMBP now. if Apple releases a future macbook that you like, sell yours, and pay a few extra $100 and get the new one. Pay your money, not with your life's days. But Apple releases new products in the next 3 months, maybe you should wait this short period... If you have the money,buy now, and upgrade later.

Give me an Apple computer with upgradable GPU (using off the shelf parts), even if it were external box, running OSx, and I'd probably jump on it in a second, Especially if it were laptop based.

I wonder if the OS can utilise external GPUs to do other tasks like running another OS (parallels) to help the CPU. That would be awesome.

Reactions: AreanFSL

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The lower TDP will allow for some nice overclocking...

OH WAIT A MINUTE, despite Apple selling iMacs with overclockable CPUs, they don't offer any control to actually overclock. lulz.

That'll be because the physical hardware & components are designed to cool a Mac running a stock CPU with certain predetermined thresholds.

What do you need to overclock for anyway? Do you want Facebook to open 0.00002 seconds faster? Please don't say gaming because I'll fall off my chair from excessive laughing. No serious gamer should ever think about purchasing a Mac. They are completely the wrong tool for the job.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
That'll be because the physical hardware & components are designed to cool a Mac running a stock CPU with certain predetermined thresholds.

What do you need to overclock for anyway? Do you want Facebook to open 0.00002 seconds faster? Please don't say gaming because I'll fall off my chair from excessive laughing. No serious gamer should ever think about purchasing a Mac. They are completely the wrong tool for the job.

Looks like Macs aren't used for real work anymore....

nigerson

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
iMac 27" Retina sells with a 4790k processor. It's overclockable but Apple doesn't allow you to do so. In fact, even if they did, you'd probably fry the CPU since the cooling in the iMac is awful, which explains why in benchmarks it actually scores LOWER because its being throttled. This was confirmed by Linus Tech Tips (2:31 minute mark)

huh I thought it was just the regular 4790, guess you're right.

IñigoRotaetxe

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2015
If you are going to wait for the next upgrade, you will wait your whole life. Here is what once some one said. Buy a 2015 rMBP now. if Apple releases a future macbook that you like, sell yours, and pay a few extra $100 and get the new one. Pay your money, not with your life's days. But Apple releases new products in the next 3 months, maybe you should wait this short period... If you have the money,buy now, and upgrade later.

I wonder if the OS can utilise external GPUs to do other tasks like running another OS (parallels) to help the CPU. That would be awesome.

Take a look at this if you are really interested:

eGPU through thunderbolt, I've done it to my late 2012 Mac mini:

http://www.villagetronic.com/g4/exp...uctions/188-macbook-vidock-970gtx-oculus-rift

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I am going to have to jump on whatever Mac is released soon, my 2010 iMac is really struggling now. I've tried every debugging Yosemite thing I could find but ultimately I have to understand that old tech and new OS do not always play nice together and as much as I'd like her to last another year, the constant fixes and slowdowns are getting more than a bit troubling.

So whatever Mac is released, I hope it's either an iMac or Mac Mini and released before October (May it be late August as iMacs have been released then.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Interesting to see that it's the Y and U class of CPUs that gets the biggest improvement.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't give a damn about crappy Intel graphics integrated with the CPU. Use the silicon for more cores!
Actually the iGPU has come a long way and is no longer crappy. Plus complaining about Intel's strategic decision to include a GPU on the silicon here on MR will have absolutely no effect.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Actually the iGPU has come a long way and is no longer crappy. Plus complaining about Intel's strategic decision to include a GPU on the silicon here on MR will have absolutely no effect.
I disagree.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I disagree.
That's your prerogative, but many people seem to be happy with the iGPU and given Apple's issues with dGPU, I'd much rather get a MBP with only a iGPU. To each his own though

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
That's your prerogative, but many people seem to be happy with the iGPU and given Apple's issues with dGPU, I'd much rather get a MBP with only a iGPU. To each his own though
Well, I'm not happy at all with Apple's ultrabook-only offer, so indeed many other people have no problem with such crippled hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.