Intel sooner that we think????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAficionado, Jul 1, 2005.

1. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I keep thinking with the delay of updated ibooks, that maybe we'll see Intel Macs sooner that later.
    What if the performance of a Pentium M or even a Celeron M is equal to that of a G4 while using Rosetta?
    Anybody with some processor knowledge know how far behind a G4 is compared to an Intel mobile?

So my thoughts are that if the transition is going to be as seamless as it seams, why not start launching Mac Mini, iBooks with the Intels? Remember, Steve said that by that time next year there were already going to be Intel machines out, not what I keep hearing that they will come out at that time next year.

Just a thought.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

With IBMs failure and Motostinks stagnation lets hope so. Intel has stuff today that smokes PPC. Jobs did right only he took years and years and years.......

3. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Jobs: "Now that we've forced developers to recompile every single program they make, what more can we do to piss them off? I KNOW! I'll make them do it in a third the time I told them they would have! Brilliant! How did I ever become such a genius?"

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think moving to intel is probably the best thing for Apple. I think we will see alot more software for the Mac now. It should be easier to compile a windows program for x86 Mac than a PPC Mac and Virtual PC will probably run better.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If there's one thing I've learned in the past month it's that no matter how hard I try, I cannot come even close to guessing what is going on in Steve Jobs' head. I've been trying for years and I just can't do it. Sure, such and such would seem the "logical" step, but what does that mean? He could turn Apple into a Feng Shui consulting company tomorrow - what would I know? I wouldn't be THAT surprised. He released the Flower Power iMac, a laptop computer that looked like an Avon case, a mouse with no button. He is not human, and does not obey the known laws of the universe.

6. ksz macrumors 68000

I'm not so sure. Mac OS X is Unix, so is Linux. Linux has been available for x86 since its inception, but have Windows programs ported to Linux en masse? Remember that developers will be porting primarily from Windows APIs to Mac OS APIs. However, Windows code that is already optimized for Intel MMX/SSE/etc. ought to be easier to port to Mactel.

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Ha ha ha ha! :D:D

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Jobs does screw up dont even get me started but one of the biggest screwups was going the PPC Path. We have been number #2 for years. Who likes a # 2??? I dont! Fact is Apple has sunk to single digits. spin it all you want thats the facts jack! PPC is #2. Apples marketshare is a fraction of years past. Good thing for Apple that market has grown by leaps and bounds. plus the short term pod thingys.

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i'm sorry, correct me if i'm wrong, were u just bashing apple!!! :eek:

10. briangig macrumors regular

I didnt think jobs was at apple when the ppc switch took place?

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Someone wasn't around in the 604e/G3 days I see....

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

What many people fail to see is that SJ needed a machine fast enough to prove and refine Mac OSX and the PPC has done that quite well.

Now that his Operating System is regarded as the finest in the industry and has proven itself worthy of the highest security ratings,
    Apple is finally in position to go for market share with the aid of Intel
    who just so happens to make 80% of the worlds processors.

Personally, I would still love to see a Power5 based workstation, but
    Intel already has dual cores in production as well Xeons.

The major bitch factor of available accessories will also be adrdessed
    with the Apple-Intel alliance.

Put all this together in a machine that runs ANY OS and people will notice.

13. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Jobs had nothing to do with PPC. In fact, when he was at NeXT he had the company port NeXT Step to the x86 architecture from the 68K architecture & didn't even touch PPC until coming to Apple once again.

14. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

And isn't it brilliant? :p Gotta love the rollercoaster ride that Jobs is running for us!

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In that case IBM can't say that Steve didn't give them plenty of time. So it made the transition easier for Steve since he already had a bias toward the x86 architecture. I don't really think we will see a Intel based Mac until next year, at least from what Steve had to say. It would seem that the earliest would be MWSF '06, with shipping TBA.

16. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I agree totally.

17. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

This is something I don't understand why other people see. In order for Apple to succeed they had to be different. By staying with PowerPC when OS X was first introduced Apple was totally different then all OS's and other computer companies. Once OS X became what it is today Apple was given the chance to go to x86 chips and show the rest of the computer world what they have to offer. The next few years should be interesting.

18. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

This is probably the best thing I have read in the past few days. :D

19. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

We can hope, but I don't think we'll see anything till WWDC '06 and possibly all or most products on x86 by MWSF '07. So a question now is... What computers will be ported first?

20. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Maybe we will but i doubt it........What i find really weird is the scarse hardware updates we have seen this year...Especially with the intel annoncement they need to release some fresh stuff to keep sales up....

Hopefully we will see some more cool power PC stuff coming out this summer....

ShadOW ;)

21. MacAficionado thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what has me so suspicious. Is the G4 so far back that there is nowhere to go? Really, if they upgrade the ibooks they will be not too far from the Powerbooks. Especially when you consider that the video cards have to be revised to at least 64MB on the iBooks and that Minis.

Glad to see somebody come back to my point.

22. aldo macrumors regular

Actually, we are third now. Linux overtook Apple on the desktop sometime ago in terms of raw sales.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Do you have a link to support that? Although I wouldn't be surprised that Linux has more installs, I don't think you can base that on "raw sales". A lot of Linux installations were free.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Apparently you're new around here. This is DHM we're talking about. Loves Apple software, hates Apple hardware. Though, since we're now moving to Intel, I don't understand why people are still b*tching.

Are you talking sales or installed user base? Because either way, a lot of Linux distros are free. Plus, you can run it on home built or existing Windows PC. With Apple's you have to buy the hardware. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of people are running Linux, especially on a dual boot with Windows. Let alone businesses.