Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Style-Origi...ryZ31534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, so I remember everyone having a come apart when Apple went with Intel because Macs might have Intel Inside stickers on them. Well now you can get your very own Core Duo Inside sticker to put on your new Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac and Mac Mini.

Common someone out there has done it. Fess up! You know you want people to know you have a Core Duo inside! If no one has maybe I will. Nothing like getting a new trend started.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
dextertangocci said:
NO WAY. Stickers on your computer are soooo pc-ish.

I would agree it is kind of pc-ish. I just know someone here has or will. The new Intel logo looks pretty nice and it if it was actually a jewel type sticker that was raised it would not look bad at all.

Besides if you paid all that money for a new Intel Mac, you want your friends to see it and go...OMG...YOU HAVE THE CORE DUO INSIDE!:)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've never understood the point of putting stickers all over a computer (or other electronics, for that matter); it's one thing if it's the floor model, but only one of a hundred sold probably is, and the rest of us have to peel off a bunch of totally pointless junk for no reason. I already bought it--why would I care about the sales points now?

Good example was my cheapie RCA home theater setup (really not that bad for the money several years back, and still works fine); the center speaker had this big stand-up cardboard thing stuck to it touting the unit's features. Peeling it off left a nasty residue that is STILL on the thing (it's wood, so hard to clean) YEARS later. WHY?!

Of course, us Mac users can't really complain about badging our computers, since of course the blue and white G3 towers had gigantic letters saying "G3" on the outside of the case. But putting a sticker like that on Apple's clean industrial design is just criminal--some "busy" looking PC case designs, I can understand (heck, the splash of color makes Dell's cases look *better*), but for an all brushed aluminium or shiny white computer, it's just a waste.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Makosuke said:
Of course, us Mac users can't really complain about badging our computers, since of course the blue and white G3 towers had gigantic letters saying "G3" on the outside of the case.

Well my iMac does have a HUGE "iMac" on the back of it, but I never see the back of it. I don't think the Mac Mini or the PowerMac even have badging on them other then an Apple logo.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Abercrombieboy said:
Well my iMac does have a HUGE "iMac" on the back of it, but I never see the back of it. I don't think the Mac Mini or the PowerMac even have badging on them other then an Apple logo.

Because so many receptionists, office desks etc have them, its free advertising. for the same reason macbooks have the apple symbol on the back.

i think when it is done professionaly like this it is beneficial to everyone.

wxboss

macrumors member
May 13, 2006
Jax, FL
Makosuke said:
I've never understood the point of putting stickers all over a computer (or other electronics, for that matter); it's one thing if it's the floor model, but only one of a hundred sold probably is, and the rest of us have to peel off a bunch of totally pointless junk for no reason. I already bought it--why would I care about the sales points now?

I agree. There is this guy in another forum that was teetering between a Dell and an Apple. He posted stock pictures of both and was asking for opinions. The Dell had about 5-6 stickers on it :eek: . That's just crazy. It's a pc, not a Nascar!

Rovman

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
United Kingdom
Yeah, one thing i hate about windows laptops are the friggen stickers everywhere, usually a huge one on the right of the keyboard listing allt he features and whatnot, and getting the bugger off is a pain in the arse without using chemicals/steam.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
...I agree, stickers suck....but I did have a white Apple logo stuck to the back of my car awhile ago. And as far as applying a logo to your hardware i think if applied tastfully it's OK...look at the Sony logo, it's been on the front and back of every set since the begining of time...LOL....and it looks good!
R

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
I wrote a paper for one of my English classes detailing why Macs are better than PC's. I even had an entire paragraph built around the fact that PC's have gross stickers while Macs have gorgeous, etched logos. It really does make a difference.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Being an owner of two previous Dells, I can say this,

no thanks good riddance. Besides, for the same price that you can get a Dell Inspiron E1505/1705 you can get a base model Macbook Pro. :rolleyes:

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
The best is when you buy a pci card such as an audio card and it actually comes with a sticker to put on the desktop. Or when you buy a new processor to upgrade you get a sticker to does anyone ever actually put these on. And what is with the windows XP stickers no crap they have windows XP in them all you have to do is boot to see that outdated OS. Its like people who have to advertise what they have in their cars because they need to compensate for something.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
bbrosemer said:
The best is when you buy a pci card such as an audio card and it actually comes with a sticker to put on the desktop. Or when you buy a new processor to upgrade you get a sticker to does anyone ever actually put these on. And what is with the windows XP stickers no crap they have windows XP in them all you have to do is boot to see that outdated OS. Its like people who have to advertise what they have in their cars because they need to compensate for something.

A thing for audio cards.............:eek:................I'm speechless

Processors I can sorta understand a sticker for.

Windows XP stickers are just as annoying, but when you upgrade to Vista, are they going to have Vista stamps going along with them? Probably not. Honestly, if I had a Windows computer, I don't need a frakking sticker to tell me I have Windows. :rolleyes:

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
benthewraith said:
Probably not. Honestly, if I had a Windows computer, I don't need to know a frakking sticker to tell me I have Windows. :rolleyes:
I agree entirley who needs a sticker to say they have windows, hey maybe all the intel macs should also come with the Designed for Windows XP stickers too ;) .

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
LOL, it bugs me Apple doesn't put the Intel stickers on their computers (and the ATI ones, etc) because stickers are easy to remove and as I understand it, components are cheaper if you agree to use these stickers.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
markie said:
LOL, it bugs me Apple doesn't put the Intel stickers on their computers (and the ATI ones, etc) because stickers are easy to remove and as I understand it, components are cheaper if you agree to use these stickers.

They're cheaper because they are a form of advertising. It's why AMD places stickers about their processors on computers as well. Get the name out. I don't know why anymore....both Intel and AMD have pretty much won the war as far as processors go.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Abercrombieboy said:
There's a difference between branding and the stickers I (think) we're talking about. Putting the computer maker logo on the case is fine--everybody does that except DIY-ers with showoff cases.

I'm talking about stickers advertising features of the product and/or what's "inside"--software and hardware. Ignoring the really ridiculous cases like a list of RAM and other stats, I was saying that a Mac user can't get too uppity if a computer has a sticker advertising the particular processor in it since the G3s had that giant logo. Admittedly, it didn't say "PowerPC 750" in giant letters, but it's the same basic thing as an Intel "Core Duo Inside" sticker.

Saying "iMac" on the back or having an Apple logo does not equate to a big colorful sticker on the front that says "Radeon X800 Inside!" or "512MB RAM for all your apps!" or whatever.

The Windows stickers, though, I don't get at all. Well, there are the useful ones with the serial number of the OEM installation on it, but then I suppose that's sort of useful if you've got a bunch of office Dells. Then again, you don't NEED a serial number for the MacOS...

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Makosuke said:
There's a difference between branding and the stickers I (think) we're talking about. Putting the computer maker logo on the case is fine--everybody does that except DIY-ers with showoff cases.

I'm talking about stickers advertising features of the product and/or what's "inside"--software and hardware. Ignoring the really ridiculous cases like a list of RAM and other stats, I was saying that a Mac user can't get too uppity if a computer has a sticker advertising the particular processor in it since the G3s had that giant logo. Admittedly, it didn't say "PowerPC 750" in giant letters, but it's the same basic thing as an Intel "Core Duo Inside" sticker.

Saying "iMac" on the back or having an Apple logo does not equate to a big colorful sticker on the front that says "Radeon X800 Inside!" or "512MB RAM for all your apps!" or whatever.

The Windows stickers, though, I don't get at all. Well, there are the useful ones with the serial number of the OEM installation on it, but then I suppose that's sort of useful if you've got a bunch of office Dells. Then again, you don't NEED a serial number for the MacOS...

What bothers me is that if all the computer's schematics are printed out on the box, WHY DO THEY NEED TO PUT A STICKER ON IT?!?!

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Missouri
benthewraith said:
What bothers me is that if all the computer's schematics are printed out on the box, WHY DO THEY NEED TO PUT A STICKER ON IT?!?!
Most of those sticker-happy companies are used to making camcorders and the like, so they don't know any better. Average Joe consumers (like some people I know) love the stickers, and leave them on for the entire life of the product. It baffles me.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nate4747 said:
Most of those sticker-happy companies are used to making camcorders and the like, so they don't know any better. Average Joe consumers (like some people I know) love the stickers, and leave them on for the entire life of the product. It baffles me.

The first thing my grandfather asked me when he bought a new Acer laptop was how to take off the stickers. I took them off. The problem with removing the Intel/Windows stickers is that they use a significantly more amount of glue on them and tend to discolor and leave residue, which is worse looking than the stickers on them :mad:. I also don't like those stupid energy-efficient stickers they put some computer monitors.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
joshysquashy said:
Because so many receptionists, office desks etc have them, its free advertising. for the same reason macbooks have the apple symbol on the back.

i think when it is done professionaly like this it is beneficial to everyone.

And people think its so fancy to have a laptop with a lit-up white apple logo at the back:D

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
WOW, mac people! :rolleyes: I believe you can contact Intel and they'll send you stickers for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.