Intel Switch Code in 10.4.3?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NerdBoy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. NerdBoy macrumors member

NerdBoy

I was shutting down my computer tonight and I found this: TextEdit.png See if you can figure out what is unusual. Hint: PowerPC.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Prepping for the Intel switch, it appears, but I doubt that the Intel macs will come out before 10.5, I'd guess that 10.5 would be the "big one" with Intel-interoperability and the like.

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

10.5 is not slated to be out unitl the end of 2006, early 2007. There will most definitely be Macintels before that timeframe.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

While true, wouldn't be cool if Steve demo'd Leopard at MWSF and announced a fall release? :)

OTOH, I would hate reading all the 'Apple forces another $129 point release on us, Teh Steve has bankrupted me' posts. :p

5. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I'm thinking leopard will be released with mactels. New architecture->new OS. Also, with the amount of hackers putting pirated tiger onto pcs, it would make sense if apple made intel leopard only work on the machines it's supplied with. PPC leopard will of course be sold separately. :)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple has been very clear that the Intel-based Macs will be released some 6 months or so before Leopard. How many times in your experience have software upgrades been completed early?

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Apple has a very bad rep for getting their OS updates out super-quickly, too fast for some.

As to 10.5 coming out in late 2006, beginning of 2007...isn't the end of 2006 when they had the Mactels slated for? I think there will be more delays with the new intel based hardware than with 10.5...which would indicate a release date for both around the same time.

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'm pretty sure Steve said at WWDC that they hoped to have the first intel Mac out in time for the conference in 2006.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There was signs of the 10.4 seen in some later releases of 10.3, specifically the assistant for transferring programs and settings from an older Mac OSX (forgot the program that allowed for this).

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Right. He also said they were on track for that at Paris. I would love to see Leopard and Intel Mac's as much as anyone but I think both are really important for Apple to make a move in the computer industry. As long as they take as much as possible to get things right I'm sure things will be really good for Apple in the future.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? Name one OS version that Apple released ahead of schedule.

12. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I heard that Leopard is gonna be the first Universal OS, meaning that it would have both Intel and PowerPC code on it so that you can still use 10.5 on your PowerPC Mac should you have one, as many of us still do. If I'm not mistaken, Steve himself said so at either WWDC or the last MW.

Let's see what he says and reports on at MWSF...

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This makes more sense as the apps Developers have will now come in UNIVERSAL BINARIES. One disc, two installs.

14. Bear macrumors G3

This doesn't mean that the first Intel machines will ship with Leopard.

Remember machines ship with installation DVDs, so the Tiger kit doesn't need to be updated as people won't be buying Tiger seperately for the Intel Macs.

However, when Leopard comes out, Apple will have people buying OS upgrades. It's simpler not to have someone accidentally grab the upgrade for the wrong processor. Also, with a family pack license, someone might have a mix of machines they need to upgrade at home.

A universal DVD makes sense for many reasons. Simplicity is one of them. Also, remember Apple wants applications to have Universal binaries for simplicity - they need to practice what they push.

15. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I dont think he ment that. He means some people dont like the fact that every 1-1 1/2 years apple comes out with an update. Unlike Microsoft who takes ___ years for there updates.