Intel switch = Xbox emulation?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac.head.high, Dec 23, 2005.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I'm curious if the switch over to Intel chips from the PowerPC will give the Mac platform the ability to emulate an Xbox for gaming purposes? Or if it will lead to development of something close?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The PowerMac G5 was used to emulate an XBox 360 ... it was the machine closest to the XBox 360 at the time, so it was the machine MS chose for development.

The switch to Intel will give you the same choices to emulate the original XBox as a similar PC, since you will likely be able to run Windows on the machine.

A MacTel likely won't be a good choice for emulating a XBox 360.

3. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I was aware that the Dual 2.7's were actually the alpha kits for the 360 development teams and 3rd party publishers, as well as the hardware I played on the floor at E3.

I guess my question would be more accurate if I asked; what has to happen in the mod/devolpment community that will allow the gaming population of mac users to play Xbox games (or even Xbox 360 games)? Even if it was against the will of Microshaft? Is it software alone that could bridge the gap or a software/hardware solution?

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

are there any xbox emulators for windows? if not, i don't imagine there would suddenly be any for osx86.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I've heard a rumor that the disc drive in XBox spins in reverse when playing games -- in order to make games harder to copy. If the average PC DVD drive can be spun in reverse it would still take a [probably dangerous] patch to do it. Still it would be cool to play XBox games on the road.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i know the gamecube drive spins backwards, but afaik the xbox uses a standard dvd drive like the xbox 360. i imagine it would take a lot of engineering to make a drive that spins both forwards and backwards (forwards for dvds and cds).

7. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I haven't heard that one yet, but the place to look would be at http://www.xboxscene.com/
    I've logged some hours under the hood of my Xboxs.

I would think not though cause when I insert an Xbox game in my mac it can read some small TS.-Folder from the disc implying that there is at least data to be read by a standard drive. As well, I think you can replace the disc-drive in an Xbox with almost any standard disc-drive as long as all the wire connectors are all the same type and intended region voltage.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nope, that is the GameCube.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I only have one Xbox DVD (I don't own an Xbox), but when I put it in my Mac I see several .xbe files and nothing called TS.

Edit: Actually, I see AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, plus some other files, but that's because it's a hybrid disc containing an Xbox game, a Windows app, a Mac app, and a DVD movie.

10. ryan macrumors 6502

No, you're both wrong, neither does. Try opening a GC lid while a disk is inside and the unit is turned on to see for yourself.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Something definitely spun them backwards. The Saturn, maybe?

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Aren't the GameCube disks written backwards (outside to inside)?

Sorry, got mixed up with the terminology, yeah, I know it doesn't spin backwards, but I've been told it is written backwards in that way.
    I know a mod chip will let the GC read regular mini-DVD's.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ah yep, that's right. My comment about them definitely spinning backwards is just plain wrong :)

14. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Damn, lol... beat me to it!

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I heard that when you play GC games in reverse they show a movie of John Lennon confessing to murdering Paul McCartney.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

After buying Sir P's latest album, it does indeed sound like death incarnate

17. charmin macrumors member

charmin

Doubt it, I would have noticed.