Intel To "One-Up" Apple

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rice_web, Jun 8, 2003.

1. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Unfortunately, I don't think Intel is worrying about any announcement that Apple will or plans to make. I doubt they would actually try to steel Apple's thunder, as Intel doesn't really see competition in Apple.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, I don't think so either. If "95%" of the worlds computers run Windows, then 95% of the world computers are also x86, which in turn, means that Intel, being the largest if x86 manufacturers have a HUGE market! I very much doubt that little old Apple/Moto/IBM keep them awake at night :(

4. marcsiry macrumors member

One up? Ha. Ha.

When Intel announces a .14 Ghz increase in an already boring chip line, fifty geeks on Slashdot, Ars, and Tom's are gonna care.

The rest of the world? Snooze.

Meanwhile, CNN picks up rumors- RUMORS, for chrissakes- of an Apple iPhone, and it's all over the internet.

Add a healthy dose of RDF and I'd be surprised if the Intel announcement even makes the mainstream media (assuming any sort of interesting announcement from Jobs at WWDC).

The press loves Apple, and gives them outsized coverage- which is good for us, the "other" 5% :)

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: One up? Ha. Ha.

I don't think the press loves Apple. I think Apple headlines are interesting, and the editors see the value of including them.

Who cares when Dell releases a new lineup? They all look like ass in a black box.

Moreover, what more can Intel do? Release a 3.25GHz P4 on the day Apple announces a 2.4 GHz one? If they go significantly hotter with the current architecture, they're gonna need R-134 to keep it from going TMI.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

not as boring as apples dull and boring g4's.

iJon

7. marcsiry macrumors member

That's what I mean by "love"- not a filial type of love, but rather a practical type, they way they "love" Anna Nicole Smith and the war in Iraq.

That's why you see everything in the press from "Apple is doomed" to "Apple's iTunes Store is a runaway success." Neither statement is 100% accurate, but it's more likley to elicit a response than a series of in-depth articles on the newest Toshiba laptop.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's actually a 200Mhz update. This is another one in the line of 800Mhz FSB P4's, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 & 3.0Ghz models are the current line up. There is a 3.06Ghz P4, but that is of the 'older' 533Mhz FSB product line.
    If this was a 200Mhz update from Apple/Moto I bet you wouldn't be making fun of it :rolleyes: Hmmmm...dual 1.62Ghz G4's, does that sound better?

9. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

i'm waitin for quad 1.43 g4's...imagine the possibilities...

10. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Yeah, starve the system for memory bandwidth EVEN MORE than it is now :rolleyes: . I'll take a single 1.6GHz PPC970 over that quad system any day.

11. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

12. zuggerat macrumors regular

whatever intel releases, short of a 10,000 ghz processor that also does my calc hw, cant put a damp on WWDC it's time for the age of Apple