Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Waiting for products you just made up.

The new MacBook Pros are going to be available in retina MacBook colors, including Space Gray. I suspect that, like the 12" MacBook's going to be replacing the 13" MacBook Air, there are going to be new 14"/16" MacBook Pros to replace the current 13"/15" MacBook Pros.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
So this fall, based on Intel, can we expect for 12" Macbook refresh (maybe silent update)?
No iMac/mac mini/macbook pro/mac pro?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So this fall, based on Intel, can we expect for 12" Macbook refresh (maybe silent update)?
No iMac/mac mini/macbook pro/mac pro?
There's no reason why apple couldn't release an updated MacBook, but will they is the question. I've been expecting a MBP refresh to hit in 2016, so this doesn't come as any surprise. I'm disappointed but I'm not surprised, I was in the market for a new machine, but as time goes on, my trusty old MBP is more then up to the task and so I'll keep it longer :)

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
I know that they most likely will update everything like they generally do, but it wouldn't surprise me if they only upgrade all the laptops and wait till the spring to update the iMac along with the New Macbook. I think that there will be too many new machines at once if they drop the bomb every year in October, considering that they have more on their plate now.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Which takes all of a minute to flip a switch on the compiler, plus compile time. No big deal assuming marginally competent programmers.
Well, yeah, with one more detail of convincing the rest of the entire world to switch their products for these cpus too, for apple's shake. I'd love to see OS X's marketshare after such a switch.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Do people still care about processors? Seems to me SSD HD sizes and speeds are more important. I bought a 2015 Retina while my 2012 was being repaired (Logic Board), when I got it back it was painfully slow and "unusable" compared to the Retina but I bought a 1TB SSD from Amazon for $350 and man my 2012 is now blazing fast and seems comparable to the Retina. Granted I do have an i7 chipset but yeah, I really don't see much speed difference even when rendering video - especially to justify the $2,400 I paid for the Retina so I'll probably be returning it.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Why would they?!? Real SDD's, which are better and MUCH faster are already becoming standard now. A fusion drive in any computer in late 2016 would be as lame as Apple bringing back the DVD drive in late 2016.

If you need both speed and large storage, there's nothing that beats Fusion Drive. Unless you've got spare bag of money, then you can go with 1TB or 2TB SSD. I don't.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just give us the Retina MacBook Air, and we'll be happy campers!
You already have one available - its called the retina MacBook. Don't you think this was a MBA that apple just decided to create a new computer line for some wacky reason

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
I'm not talking about Apple's toy computer line, but the Pro models. You know, those that you use to do the things that require actual calculating performance, not just updating your Facebook status and writing on your novel at Starbucks…
Yeah, I've heard about those pro models and what people use them for. Have one myself.

The point is that single core performance of an A9 is on par with entry level Skylake and only 30% lower than the high-end i7-6700. Now just imagine that Apple could a) further optimise their single core performance for laptop/desktop usage and b) for the same OEM-price of an Intel chip, add a dozen or so multi-core ARM's.
That would beat the crap out of any single chip intel design and surely make your Pro-calculation stuff run skyrocket.

There's undoubtedly a couple of complex things to consider for Apple to switch from Intel to arm but I don't think raw performance is the main showstopper anymore.

Reactions: aylk

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Why would they?!? Real SDD's, which are better and MUCH faster are already becoming standard now. A fusion drive in any computer in late 2016 would be as lame as Apple bringing back the DVD drive in late 2016.
LOL, do you live in some other universe? in 2015 apple is using old dead-slow spinners and you theoretise that using fusion would be lame:D forget about only-ssd in imac as standard.. even fusion is not probable, apple tax for anything with ssd is where revenues are generated for apple

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
so when is apple announcing that it will move the Macs to ARM so that it is consistent with the mobile devices?

Before you flame me, yes I know the history of moving from PowerPC to x86. But I am convinced that Apple has the ability to make this fairly seemless. the core is the same. the UI level was totally different, but they have been adding all the gesturebased components to the trackpad and even the magic mouse, so I do not think they are as far apart as people think.

Here is one thing to at least contimplate before the flame begins -- http://www.cnet.com/news/new-round-of-rumors-point-to-macs-based-on-apple-arm-chips/

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wow, the 45W Core i5 lineup now includes a budget quad core with 4 cores, 4 threads for $250. Since the introduction of mobile quad cores they have only had Core i7 models with 4 cores, 8 threads back in the Clarksfield days.

bdhokie

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
USA
I admit I'm not an expert on the process of procurring parts and updating computers, but it seems that if Apple really won't update their product lines simply because they did a few months ago, that's crazy. If they can significantly improve their product by switching to new processors, I hope they will do it sooner not later. Especially the Macbook, which seems very underpowered for the price.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
The point is that single core performance of an A9 is on par with entry level Skylake and only 30% lower than the high-end i7-6700.
For one, Geekbench is a fairly artificial benchmark. Secondly, I think you got there something wrong: the estimated single core Geekbench-score for the A9 is not "only 30% lower" of what an i7-6700 can achieve, it is lower than 30% of the i7's score.

Fact is, the ARM CPUs are nowhere near top-line Intel CPUs in performance and will remain so for years to come.

Last edited:

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
Here is what I want out of it...
- A quad-core mac mini capable of driving 3 @ 4K monitors (the chip is apparently capable of it).
- A quad-core 13" Macbook Pro with similar capabilities.

Or a Mac that is modelled after the Mac Pro that runs a quad-core processor and fits between the mac mini and the mac pro - which has comparable performance to the iMac series.

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
Yes they were basically PowerPC chips that were manufactured by a 3rd party - Motorola. They dropped them for two reasons - one is that because they were their only customer for those to speak of they had to pre-order in bulk and were not responsive to market forces. There were also issues with making them powerful yet efficient heat/processing power wise in small laptops. The move to intel is one reason why the macs have become so successful... the laptops are driving the sales while the Mac Pro is more of a niche market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.