Intel Updates Mac OS X Development Tools with Penryn Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 28, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Yahoo News reports that Intel has upgraded its software development tools today, introducing support for Mac OS X Leopard as well as their new Penryn processors.
    The new tools can also take advantage of the new SSE4 instruction set that debuted with the Penryn processors.

Intel first announced the 45-nm Penryn processors on November 12th, 2007, with the first batch of Penryn processors focusing on the higher end server-class Xeon processors. Apple has been rumored to be buying up the high end 3.2GHz Penryn Xeon processors which feature a faster 1600MHz bus and 12MB of L2 cache for an upcoming Mac Pro revision. Apple currently uses the previous generation Xeon Woodcrest (Quad core Macs) or Xeon Clovertown (8-core Macs) processors in their Mac Pros.

Mobile versions of the Penryn processor are not expected until January 2008.

Article Link

2. macrumors newbie

It's really time for Apple to release these new Mac Pro's.

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now this is something interesting for those poor Mac Pro waiters.

4. macrumors 68020

Raid

If they haven't released them by now they won't release them till MacWorld in January.

5. macrumors 6502

His point still stands. They will be overdue in Jan. :p

6. macrumors 603

Does the xcode toolset use foreign compilers?

7. macrumors regular

Hell yes!@

8. macrumors 6502

Expect Macworld. Macword 2008 will be truly interesting!!!

9. macrumors 68040

emotion

Now Apple, bring on that T8100 2.1GHz 12" powerbook replacment.

10. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

Apple has been past due to release Mac Pros (or at least offer a price drop) for a good year now...

-Clive

11. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Mac Pro waiters only make minimum wage, but I hear they make great tips! :rolleyes:

Anyone else think there may be a tower/ACD redesign coming with this processor update? Seems like otherwise it'd be out already.

12. macrumors 6502a

andy721

Wiki

The successor to Penryn, based on a new post-Core microarchitecture which features the return of hyperthreading, is Nehalem; it was discussed at the September 2007 IDF meeting, though the release date is not until the end of 2008.
    The 32 nm shrink of Nehalem is called Westmere; provided that Intel stays on target with its roadmap, Sandy Bridge will be released at 32 nm with a newer microarchitecture around 2010.[45] In 2011, Intel will launch its first processor based on a 22 nm process. Based on Intel's cycle alternating new architectures and die shrinks every two years, it is currently assumed that this will be a shrink of Sandy Bridge.[46]

13. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Safari on Leopard is really kinda slow and sluggish. What gives? Gimme Safari 2 back. :mad:

14. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not necessarily, they may just be waiting until the processors are available in enough quantity to actually ship the computers. If you look at the other companies that have announced Penryn in their computers none or vey few are shipping yet.

15. macrumors member

tap tap tap

I've been checking macrumors regularly (compulsively) waiting to hear when I can upgrade my dual G5. I need speed!!! I work with large PSD files and my G5 is showing it's age. I am almost using my 2.4 MacBook Pro exclusively until I can get a new Mac Pro.

16. macrumors 6502a

mward333

You can't just say stuff like that on this forum. People on Macrumors are sooooo hesitant to buy--making 100 percent sure that they won't buy at the wrong time--you'll have people waiting until 2011 to make the plunge! ROFL

17. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Apple needs to step it up. This is starting to get ridiculous. If they can do it now, they should just do it now and not wait until January. Leave January for newer never before seen or heard of stuff. Sheesh. :D I'm telling you, Apple's home page will change soon with the new MacPro smack dab in the middle with every other product around it for a nice Holiday line-up, leaving January for NEW stuff and not just a traditional UPDATE!

18. macrumors 603

HLdan

Well that might apply to only a few. Safari is lightening fast on Leopard. I have a new iMac. Safari launches instantaneously from a cold boot and surfs faster than any browser I have used. I've been using Safari since inception and it's never ran better or faster than with Leopard. :)

19. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Looking forward to the next MPs. Add blu-ray and a slightly smaller form factor, and some new CDs with isight. Hell. Yeah.

20. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Smaller form factor? I want more internal drives please!

21. macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Yes. I believe they are French.
    Sorry.

22. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah, buying right now is a great idea. You definitely won't kick yourself in the teeth come January.

23. macrumors 6502a

I doubt that Apple would release updates to anything this close to Christmas. It would be too confusing to the consumer (even though the Mac Pros are targeted to the pro market, they still sell plenty elsewhere). Likewise, channel issues etc.

I could be wrong, but my bet is Jan. Unfortunately, because I am waiting to replace my 3.75 year old G5. :)

24. macrumors 6502a

mward333

I must admit--now is a terrible time to buy! :) That is obvious.

My point is this: We'll probably see an update in January, and that's the time to make the next plunge. (Don't wait until 2011.)

I promise (guaranteed!) that some people will complain in January (or whenever the next update occurs) and just say that they are waiting for the next big thing. That's my point. Some people are always waiting, even when they see an update, they just wait for the next update.

I intended my post to be lighthearted. I agree: if you buy now, you will hate yourself when the Mac Pro is updated, which is (hopefully) soon!

25. cgc
    macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for new Peryn MacPros with ATI Rage 128 cards in them :)