Intel wises up

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by squirrellydw, Mar 20, 2004.

1. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    I looked at the title of this thread and thought "not likely!" :D

Anyway, someone else has already posted a similar discussion, albeit not linking to the same article.
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i think thats good and bad...

think of people going into best buy...

"here we have the 2.4ghz celeron processor computer, or the 2.4ghz pentium processor"

"gee henry, the celeron is $300 cheaper, and it sounds fast enough, lets get that"
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    While I think the idea in general can be good, I think the direct taking of "300, 500 & 700" is incredibly lame. They could atleast come up with their own names for the lines. And what's up with the Megahertz mith? I think its more deceptive when you sel say an AMD 2500, but only runs at 1.7GHz or something like that.
  4. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Is it really deceptive if it beats the pants off a 2.5+ Ghz CPU tho? And most test of AMD's CPUs have shown them to be faster than the Pentium chip their speed rating was comparing them against by some rather nice margins, so I think the fact that a 1.7 Ghz chip could cream a 2.5 Ghz one is a pretty good showing of the Mhz myth.

Of course before the G5 we had a hard time showing this in practice using a Power Mac, but the times they are a changing! After all, would you consider it deceptive if Apple labeled the Dual 2Ghz PMG5 "Dual G5 3000+" when it routinely beats the pants off of Dual Xeon stations?
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    that's why AMD calls it "2500." it is implied that it will run comparably to Intel chips running at 2.5 GHz, but AMD is not labeling the chip as 2.5 GHz. it's arguably sneaky but it's something they had to do in order to combat intel's even more sneaky tactics of pushing the clockspeed for the sake of clockspeed. now even intel is paying for it because centrinos are clocked lower but still runs very fast.
  6. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I think it's funny how the article treats Intel's desion as revolutionary, when in fact they're just copying other chip manufacturers way of marketing chips.
  7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    God point(s).

same to you jxyamma