Intelligent Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m2uk, Apr 24, 2006.

1. m2uk macrumors regular

Many years ago in the PC world I had some software, typically the name of which I have forgotten, that claimed to save much backup space by not backing up the standard Windows files (thus in the case of a restore you reinstalled your OS and then ran the recover procedure which took in the personalisation dooberies).

I guess in OSX this is easier. Recover each user directory but what other directories do you need to backup / restore.

Ideally I want to copy to a local server here (which is, in turn, backed up to tape) as few files as possible so I am not storing multiple copies of OSX (my desktop, my laptop, wife's laptop, EyeTV machine etc) but in the case of a problem I could reinstall the OS and then JUST copy back the missing files (keeping apps, preferences, user directory etc).

Could someone kindly refresh my mind as doing keyword searching is not honing in sufficiently on the goods other than the users directory! And I'd rather not dabble and find out in the future I've dropped a clanger !

Thanks..

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you are a dot mac member, there is a handy piece of software - Backup 3.0 - which does it for you.

3. m2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Tks for the tip but as a dotmac member I must say that Backup is a POS and not really suitable ! I am trying superduper which seems to be working well so far (but it is early days!)