'Intelligent Design' Gets Bush's Nod

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Aug 2, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-intelligent2aug02,1,371780.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Does he think there's only the two explanations???

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Good grief.
    Part of the teachings of 'intelligent design' is a saddle on a dinosaur.
    I repeat, A SADDLE ON A DINOSAUR.
    It's a faux argument. Based neither on scientific fact or method. It takes already accepted scientific arguments and twists them around to fit a religious ideal. That's not science, that's propaganda.
    I'm so glad I'm not a Christian anymore.
    I'm all for exposing children to different subjects and theories but any person with a rational mind can see what this really is. A covert attempt at getting religious doctrine into public education by either seriously delusional or misguided people.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i guess it's time to start lobbying for the turtles.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I was going to gun for the ostriches, myself.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I don't think "intelligent design" should be taught in schools. As a Christian, it's my job to make sure my kids learn about Christianity the way I want them to learn about it. It is also my job to try to convince others to convert to Christianity.
    Forcing "intelligent design" may be an attempt to to convert people, but I don't want it done with my tax dollars. It imay also expose children to a religion that their parent don't believe in.

BTW, when I hear "intelligent design", Why do I think of little green men in spaceships, landing on earth and planting DNA??

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm wondering if the new WH (read as: rove) strategy is to have bush come out w/ a bunch of controversial positions in order to steal headlines from the plame affair.

in the knight-ridder edition of the story, bush also talks about not discussing roe v. wade with roberts and how he believes Palmeiro didn't take steroids. he's kinda putting it all out there now.

9. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I don't know why school systems didn't latch on to "intelligent design" sooner. It would save them alot of money on teaching materials.
    Student: "Why do frogs reproduce in the water?"
    Teacher: "Because God said so."

You don't even need a text book for that.

Student: "What were the answers to questions 16-20 on yesterdays test?"
    Teacher: "D: Because God said so."

Perhaps this is how "No child left behind" works.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I get the connection. Rafael Palmeiro is the product of intelligent design. Or maybe Bush is making a play for the Baltimore vote. Or the drug-user vote. Maybe I don't get it after all.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'll explain:
    1. reality is perception
    2. as president, bush controls perception
    3. bush's friends are never wrong
    4. palmeiro is a longtime friend of bush
    5. therefore, palmeiro didn't take steroids

and of course:
    6. the liberal media got it wrong because of its anti-american agenda of hate

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Why are we letting them control the debate vocabulary? All of a sudden, this stuff has been named "intelligent design" instead of "creationism". It's not an "alternative scientific theory" it's a "religious creation story". If they want it taught in science class, it should include actual scientific method, not just religious myth.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You don't know what you're talking about. There are ID guys that are evolutionists. ID doesn't really have anything to do with whether you are a creationist or evolutionist, as attested by the fact that there are people from both camps that advocate ID. It would help if you read some of the literature before you commented on it. That goes for the rest of you in this thread that have never read any of the ID guys.

(Oh, I'm sorry, you already know its wrong before you hear what they have to say...)

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah but Heb already knows you're wrong before he hears what you have to say!
    ;)

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Intelligent design is all about faith in something unknowable and unproveable. There's no science involved whatsoever as ID is not replicable, the first step in proving any scientific theory. In other words it will always be science fiction until someone can prove otherwise, which will, of course, be never.

16. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All I can say is, it's a good thing the Bible didn't include chapters called Gravity and Relativity, or our schools would be forced to teach politically correct alternatives to Newton and Einstein.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm trying to imagine what that would be like. perhaps gravity is god's way of keeping us away from heaven until we're ready? making manned flight and trampolines a sin, i suppose.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Stick to hovercraft.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because if you admit one part of your doctrine needs fixing, then couldn't any part? The whole idea of an infallible god rests on everything put forth being perfect.

20. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not so difficult to rationalize. God gave us these big brains just to trick us into believing that we can acquire real knowledge about the universe, but of course only people without real faith accept this as actual knowledge. They don't understand that man's belief over these many millennia that he can actually pursue and acquire wisdom is really just a big cosmic practical joke God is pulling on us -- a perverse test of our faith. You know, He's just that kind of God, and if you don't accept it, God has plans for you -- and you aren't going to like them.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sweet.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what a great way to keep a people subjugated: there are fates worse than death. and questioning the authority is one way to bring it on. add a little "impossible to disprove," and you've got a recipe for a belief system that will last, literally, thousands of years.