Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
As it stands now, video production requires very little of a video card. Open GL is in a bad place right now and even the most demanding programs, such as After Effects CS3, can run great on the most basic video card offered. Our big issue is processor power and RAM, which are both headed in the right direction. With some exceptions, you would be hard-pressed to walk into a video or audio post production facility and not find a room full of MacPros.

Not to dampen your towel too much, but most users of the Mac Pro should know a fair amount about frame rates - especially if they are video editors. Processing video effects in real time such as in Final Cut Studio 2 would require more GPU power; not to mention that processing HD video require a fair amount of power as well. I believe editors would also want to be on the same page as the gamers for the power of the video cards that are shipped with the unit. However, the main complaint is about the iMac's video card and why they have skimped on the card - which was done for heat dispersement reasons. But in terms of getting a Pro the base line should run a game at smoothly enough, but at a higher cost. It is a shame that Apple has not considered much for gamers, but I feel in due time Apple will make the attempt to lure gamers into their realm - which should be when games can play natively in OS X, or whatever future Apple OS lays ahead.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Motion 3 Needs A Strong Video Card To Do Its Job Efficiently

As it stands now, video production requires very little of a video card. Open GL is in a bad place right now and even the most demanding programs, such as After Effects CS3, can run great on the most basic video card offered. Our big issue is processor power and RAM, which are both headed in the right direction. With some exceptions, you would be hard-pressed to walk into a video or audio post production facility and not find a room full of MacPros.
Based on a Motion 3 class I had at the Palo Alto Apple Store last night, the video card is crucial for that work. The instructor, author of several Motion books, said the ATI 1900 512MB card is almost a must have item. Anybody got one laying around they want to let go cheap?

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Yes! That is one of the major exceptions. That being said, Motion is still an unaccepted app by most of the post world. It's just so clunky compared to their other products. I use it mainly for its particle systems but in general, it just feels so immature. I'm not saying great things can't be done with it, just that VERY VERY few use it. Easily the crashiest Apple program I've ever used, also.

Based on a Motion 3 class I had at the Palo Alto Apple Store last night, the video card is crucial for that work. The instructor, author of several Motion books, said the ATI 1900 512MB card is almost a must have item. Anybody got one laying around they want to let go cheap?

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
You realize that when you shell out 8 bucks to see a movie in the theater, you're watching a 24 fps image, right?

In southern california i have to shell out $10.50 to see a movie...does that mean they play back at 31.5 fps? I would hope so, it costs 30% more than a movie wherever you are, so performance should scale appropriately no?:D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Motion 3 Is A Lot Improved Over Previous Versions - Includes A Lot Of Shake Inside

Yes! That is one of the major exceptions. That being said, Motion is still an unaccepted app by most of the post world. It's just so clunky compared to their other products. I use it mainly for its particle systems but in general, it just feels so immature. I'm not saying great things can't be done with it, just that VERY VERY few use it. Easily the crashiest Apple program I've ever used, also.
That may have been in the past versions, but version 3 looks really stable an easy to use. It's full of Shake features too that weren't in versions 1 or 2. YOu might want to give it another go. :)

shawmanus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
my suggestion is unless you need to desparately buy, wait for Nehalem. QuickPath(CSI)+IMC and mature 45nm process would kick harpertown's a**

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It has been growing in spite of the fact that they ignore one of the largest computer markets. Just think how well Apple would be doing if they actually catered slightly to gamers.

The thing is that Apple does "slightly" cater to the gamers. I know you really meant "actually" catered. I want Apple to do so... I know every gamer out there would dump their pre-made Dells and maybe even the Alienwares for a rig that ran every game ever created and Mac OS X. I hope Apple listens to the whisperers and whiners and make that machine that everyone wants... but as we all know Apple only moves in two directions... Either they will make a tower like all the gamers want and it will be a tad bit over the price point most want it at, or Apple won't do it at all because they see something that we all can't.

As my video editing colleague multimedia mentioned before... the previous versions of Motion were very limiting. LiveType did most of what you need without all of the flashiness. Now it seems to be much improved... haven't gotten my hands on it yet. The one thing that will drive it's use in the professional world up is media convergence and compatibility. If the Apple engineers know what they could have on the media market, they will make every pro app they have sync in some why with each other. Aperture, Final Cut Pro, iLife Apps, iWork Apps, and the OS of course already sync very well with each other. If Apple brings in DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack, Logic, Motion, Any Server based App (FCP Server too), and maybe some kinda juiced up version of iWeb that works with flash and other Adobe web programs Apple will always be on the bleeding edge of multimedia/media convergence production. The only people wanting the other apps would be the ones that want to be left behind with big deficits.

my suggestion is unless you need to desparately buy, wait for Nehalem. QuickPath(CSI)+IMC and mature 45nm process would kick harpertown's a**

I don't know why anyone would want to wait a full year for a new processor when the new ones haven't even come out yet. The new ones will kick butt because they are still a year off from full production. We'd be waiting forever for any kind of mature process or style of manufacturing.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
This is really good news. If the Penryn Xeon chips were released any later, then Apple, or any other computer vendor, would miss the Holiday season. I really thought the earliest we would see a Mac Pro update would be Jan 08. Now that it looks fairly certain for we will see the release in Nov 07, then my 5 year-old Dell will be retired now just a couple months earlier....and that makes be happier. :)

I expect the "entry level" Mac Pro to contain 8-cores at 2.0Ghz with 2GB RAM. Say bye-bye to a 4-core machine. I also expect a new enclosure, but not radically different than what exists now. The current enclosure is a massive heat sink and will probably remain that way.

Oh yeah, and maybe at the same time we'll *finally* see updated iSight-savvy ACD's too.

shawmanus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
Interesting deduction. Intel didn't sell 3.0Ghz Clovertowns until recently and even then that was 5 months after Apple was using them....

That could be the case though. Has anyone taken a look at the processor in the 24" to verify?

Problem with 3 ghz clovertowns early on was that it had a TDP of 150W. Most servers/workstations designed (for woodcrest/clovertown) for TDP 120W.

With G0 revision Intel reduced TDP of x5365 to 120W and we see all OEM's adding it to their servers and workstations.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
You realize that when you shell out 8 bucks to see a movie in the theater, you're watching a 24 fps image, right?

When you turn on a TV set and watch "Lost", you're getting 30 fps.

With one comment, you told me everything I need to know about how twisted and myopic your perspective is. NORMAL PEOPLE do not demand 80fps+ gaming.

With one comment, you've told me you are utterly CLUELESS about gaming and probably computer hardware and maybe even computers in general.

24fps might work fine for film, but it's CONSISTENTLY 24 fps whereas 3D computers games are NEVER EVER consistent in their frame rates unless forced to a given frame rate (and that assumes that internally it's always running at a rate that will not drop below that rate). A given 3D game that averages 80fps will probably drop below 30 fps in very busy areas of the game. This is an indisputable fact. So now you tell me what's going to happen on that same game if you're getting 28 fps and you go into that busy area? It's going to drop to less than 8 fps and become UNPLAYABLE in that area! Gamer or not, that is unacceptable performance and I was talking about CURRENT games (i.e. the ones that numbers were posted for in the reviews). What's going to happen with the games of tomorrow? Next year's games? Etc.? Your 28fps average on that iMac is going to be 8fps average and it will be unplayable without decreasing your rendered resolution, which of course will look like crap on an LCD since it will no longer be in its native resolution. Given you are forced to use a given size LCD with iMacs, you can't even go buy a used CRT if you want to (I'm using one on this PowerMac here and it cost me $30 for a 19" multi-sync used. It works great. Unfortunately, this G4 is not a gaming machine in ANY sense of the word in 2007. At best I can play retro/old games on it or emulated old systems like Mame or C64 or Amiga games).

More importantly, people who actually *need* systems like the Mac Pro generally don't give a crap about how well it plays games. They are too busy using it to make money and/or advance human knowledge.

Now you've painted yourself not only as computer illiterate, but as a games hater to boot. I find it ironic that Mac fanboys are rabid about the things they like, but are totally dismissive about the faults of the Mac lineup when it comes to things they just don't care about. And yet even so, they remain incredibly argumentative, this time arguing about how USELESS their machines are for gaming, yet it's OK because gamers are idiots, morons, waste of skin, etc. apparently in their eyes. But using Garage Band to pretend you're a rock star is FUN! (rolls eyes).

The Mac Pro is nothing special. You can recreate similar hardware in the PC realm. It will cost you something similar, no doubt. It's just hardware. "Need" for it is no doubt subjective to the person in question. If I need to run games on a Mac, then I 'need' a Mac Pro because Apple's other offerings are inadequate for above said reasons.

If they wanted to play games, they would have bought a Windows PC (or perhaps a DS Lite... or something.)

But don't fanboys want everyone to buy Macs? Then why are they so eager to push people back to the world of Windows if they hint they like to game once in awhile? If Apple suddenly supported gaming in a big way, I'd imagine they'd change their tune instantly because ultimately, I believe fanboys are about whatever they believe Apple to be pushing at a given time. If gaming is off Apple's list, it's off the fanboy list as well.

You, my friend, are a gamer. Accept it. Go build a kick-ass toy for yourself, and leave the rest of us alone.

Amazing how you speak for the entire site here as if everyone agrees with your dim view of life and what it means to be a professional. I'm an electronic engineer by trade in my 30's. Does that mean I have to become a jaded old sourpuss?

Like it or not, Cider means that gaming is coming back to the Mac sooner or later and you will probably have a mental breakdown because suddenly these forums will be filled with gamers that you apparently hate so much.

The Mac Pro is a fantastic professional workstation. The fact that you are unhappy that Apple does not make an affordable kick-ass game machine is not our problem, nor does it have anything to do with the discussion of emerging chip technologies for the Mac Pro. Buh-bye.

Who is this "our" you are talking about? I assume you mean "we the Mac fanboys" or something. Honestly, I wish all Mac fanboys would create their own message board site and then they can all sit around and talk about nothing. Ever see the movie Clueless? That's what fanboys remind me of. Like OMG did you see the sexy new case on the new iMac! I could just die!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
BTW: What's up with all these gamers invading this Pro space? Really pathetic having to wade through their dribble. Don't forget to wipe up after yourselves on your way out the door children. :rolleyes:

I dunno. What's up with all these Mac fanboys being such arrogant condescending intolerable pricks?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
BTW: What's up with all these gamers invading this Pro space? Really pathetic having to wade through their dribble. Don't forget to wipe up after yourselves on your way out the door children. :rolleyes:
Just because I want to game doesn't mean I want to skimp on the power to work with video. That and actually be able to upgrade my machine...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Some here apparently find it hard to believe that so-called 'gamers' do anything else but game. Ironically, I've made 33 games for Windows, some of which are being distributed commercially. I'm sure that's not a "pro" use of a computer, though :rolleyes:

Imagine that, though, someone who makes games likes to also play games. I do all kinds of things with my computers, though, not just gaming. I truly feel sorry for people that have lost their inner child and don't enjoy having fun anymore. I still go to amusement parks at 32 and have no plans to stop going. Being an adult doesn't mean you can't have fun.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Macpro needs a new chassis...time to change...

I like the thick sturdiness of the brushed aluminum chassis... feels substantial and bullet proof...ish.

Maybe they could rework the design a little but it's very functional. Looking back on the old plastic G3/G4s, they were somewhat awkward and kind of lame compared to the G5 and Mac Pro.

Basically I hope they don't go back to a plastic design.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I like the thick sturdiness of the brushed aluminum chassis... feels substantial and bullet proof...ish.

Maybe they could rework the design a little but it's very functional. Looking back on the old plastic G3/G4s, they were somewhat awkward and kind of lame compared to the G5 and Mac Pro.

I doubt they will move back to a plastic design for their pro machine. I cannot imagine what direction they will take when the day comes to revise the MacPro...

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I doubt they will move back to a plastic design for their pro machine. I cannot imagine what direction they will take when the day comes to revise the MacPro...
Lots of alum and glass. I love how Leopard's alum and glass UI now match the iMac's look. My bet is the updated MacPro will be essentially a smaller version of what exsits now. Nothing too radical. Maybe it will me the mid-tower everyone is wants. :p

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just think how well Apple would be doing if they actually catered slightly to gamers.

They are catering "slightly" to gamers with the Mac Pro right now, but the underlying hardware architecture of the Mac Pro is really not optimized for gamers.

I have an HP xw6400 workstation here at work. It's essentially the same hardware as is in the Mac Pro with two dual-core Xeon processors (for a total of four cores). I can probably put an nVidia 8800 into it, but do I really want to spend $2000 for the underlying hardware to do that, when an i965-based Core2 Extreme Q6600 four-core desktop can be had for about half that?

I have a $2400 xw6400 instead of a $600 dc7700 like my colleagues because I do GIS and imaging work and I need something that can really shovel data inside the machine and out over the network. But I bet with an 8800 in each of our machines, our fps would probably be relatively close - certainly the dc7700 should be "plenty good". And the base machine would be one-fourth the price.

So even if Apple released an 8800 card for the Mac Pro, I am not sure how many people would pay $1000 or more just to be able to use it. I bought a 24" iMac instead of a Mac Pro and a 23" LCD because the Mac Pro was $4000 and the iMac was $2000. I don't need the Mac Pro's power at home, and I wasn't willing to pay twice as much just to get a better video card then the one integrated in the iMac.

I play mostly PC games, anyway, so I can put together a mighty fine PC gaming system for $2000. But since I don't need that kind of gaming power, I don't even need to spend $1000 to get the gaming performance I desire.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Nehalem? What When Would That Be? I Can't Imagine Waiting Beyond Harpertown SS.

Wait beyond Harpertown in SS? I can't imagine that will be very soon after this first big change to the MP platform could it?

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK

I'm looking to replace my PowerMac G5 with a Mac Pro (looks like now is a bad time though with all but the top model being not updated for 12 months) and I'm really think the internal design of the Mac Pro is a huge improvement over the G5. 4 hard drives (it was nuts only fitting 2 in the G5) and I'm sure the extra optical drive bay will come in very handy when Blueray gets going. I've just been looking at the external ports - looks like more firewire/USB. The only thing that's lacking are eSATA ports - but with 4 internal drive bays it's not important for me.

Oh, and by the way, I play games on my Mac. I don't choose my Mac for playing games, but I like to be able to use it for both work and play. I really don't want two separate machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.