Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
Not really sure the main point of articles like this...

If people need a new computer, there are many acceptable products on the market right now. All are fine products. If people look into .1 GHz into making their purchasing decision, I question their actual need for a new computer.

Not to mention, most people dont take into account, that Ghz dont mean anything. Its all about make, model, and year. Just because it is moving at a faster rotation speed, does not necessarily mean you are...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
There was an interesting conversation I heard a while ago and it was regarding speed on phones.

Does it need to get faster? Probably not, but that's not what it's about anymore. It's about battery life. The faster a user can get their tasks done, the more time the phone will theoretically spend in idle mode and save battery life.

In 10 years you will need all that extra phone cpu speed/power. No one can predict the future.

----------

Sigh, I've been holding onto my iMac late 2009 i7 waiting for the new mini. Guess I can wait until June.

I have to say, a 4.5 year lifespan for a computer is pretty depressing. Why don't these things die more quickly? Then I could get a new one faster.

Not all of us have the millions of dollars you do to dip into to purchase new computers every other year.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Apple's progress in the business of computers has been grinding sluggishly to a near halt. They should be leaping on all possible upgrades. Instead they dance around a new MacPro (several years late) and leave the mini and display in the dark.

There is no way to justify their slack efforts in keeping everything current and well powered.

I'm with you on this, I'm a semi-pro user and I've been more and more disappointed by their pace with the updates and their software. I feel like they're leaving me behind so they can focus on their bigger stuff. I understand this from a marketing standpoint, but do they really want to sacrifice the pro market? I'm trying to move to Linux for this reason (wish me luck) and I often wonder if there are others like me doing this for the same reason.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
There's some other interesting options too - taking the iMac to SSD-only for example might make for some interesting design possibilities - but I suspect this year will be more of a minor upgrades and possibly price drops year. That shouldn't be a surprise if it happens mind, as I said the PC is a mature product and big changes just don't come along very often any more.

When 1TB SSDs are of a reasonable price Apple will do this. But now they are just too expensive. That's probably why the whole fusion drive thing exists.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Well, this is a timely article! I have been waiting to purchase a new, high end 15-inch retina Macbook Pro thinking there would be a minor upgrade next month. Like maybe a 755m graphics chip(over the current 750m) and a slight processor upgrade. Sounds like that is not going to happen. Guess I'll go ahead and buy one.

This Broadwell delay is exactly why I bought into Haswell rMBP. Given this timeline I'm sure I can resell it in early 15 for a reasonable loss or if Broadwell is meh just wait the 2+ years to Skylake

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Don't you think that Intel probably keeps its customers informed with some kind of time frame for chip updates and changes? This seems logical to me.
Exactly. It's customers are Apple and Dell and not Joe Average who buys a PC.

----------

Great article, thanks for the summary!
You haven't been on this site much have you?

----------

iPad is not a computer
The iPad is a personal computer. You are wrong. Just one of a different form.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
There are times when CPUs don't advance quickly, such as mid-2007-2009 with the Core-2 Duos, but, there are other enhancements to be had. Move to all-SSD. 3840x2400 displays. 16 GB memory standard on all models. True matte screen.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
There are times when CPUs don't advance quickly, such as mid-2007-2009 with the Core-2 Duos, but, there are other enhancements to be had. Move to all-SSD. 3840x2400 displays. 16 GB memory standard on all models. True matte screen.

2008 saw the release of nehalem

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iPad already has all this. And very optimised. So just add a keyboard to an iPad internals, at a similar size to the 11" MacBook Air.

iPad Air,
iBook Air,
MacBook Air.

11" MBAs already have the same

It's possible they'd replace Airs entirely, or they could offer 2 options. My money would be on an iBook Air and a small bump to MacBook Airs in 2014, and discontinue MBA in a year when sales are low.

iPads can already run pages, numbers, iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, Email and many many apps.

Yes it could compete with Chrome laptops very well.

I see the Airs becoming an iOS device. Hence the 64-bit CPU in the A7, the push for iOS users to get iWork, iLife mobile apps. You already got everything you need out of the box, but in a laptop.

----------

at this point the spec race is kind of pointless. I think Optimizing software and increasing the storage is more important yet another speed bump. 256 GB SSD for a $1,800 computer is ridiculous. Especially when companies are pushing digital.

The prime example is how my 5S constantly randomly reboots. And always when I'm trying to do something important or in hurry (like trying to snap a photo before the moment is gone, or do a quick Google search).

Drives me crazy. Apple wants me to download everything, but yet only give me 256GB drive - at a ridiculous price. You can't count on the cloud because 1) Apple STILL hasn't been able to put iPhoto in iCloud other than the mess they call Photostream 2) Apple can't guarantee me they'll keep a license for me to download the media again even though I already paid for it. So then I need to shell out for an external, which defeats the purpose of carrying lighter and easier.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It seems to me Apple aught to bring CPU and GPU in-house. They certainly have enough cash on hand to build factories to produce their own CPU and GPU - then they'd be able to free themselves of Intel's timeline. They can keep the x86 ISA if they want (so that existing software is still compatible) or they could ditch it in favor of something else (maybe ARM? Or Apple could create their own.)

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
I see the Airs becoming an iOS device. Hence the 64-bit CPU in the A7, the push for iOS users to get iWork, iLife mobile apps. You already got everything you need out of the box, but in a laptop.

This still requires the need for an operating system a little more complex than ios, no?

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
delays in Intel's Broadwell platform are causing uncertainties in the outlook for Apple's notebook lineup

Macrumors and other outlets stoking up unfounded fears is the problem and not what Intel is and isn't doing. I mean, come on - first we had the news article about Johnny Ive being dropped from the executive team photo montage page and now this? are Macrumors moderators/article writers that desperate to churn through the clicks that they need to post this nonsense?

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
As someone who just purchased rMBP, I don't mind Apple slowing down on upgrade cycle.

Regarding faster CPUs, while certainly they enable sloppy coding, more abstract applications becomes also possible by the luxury of having excessive processing power as the developers to concentrate on high level tasks and let system handles the lower level tasks at lower efficiency.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Is there eventually going to be a point in ti,e to where processors are so fast that we dont need to get faster?

Many long years ago, when I first took programming classes (I'm retired now to give you an idea how long ago that was) one of my instructers explained to the class that there was no need for computers to get any smaller, or faster, than they currently were at that time.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
"Signs of aging" ? What is this article talking about ? Judging by the life cycle of a product is meaningless. If there are no new CPUs, chipsets, GPUs out there, there's no Mac lineup aging.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I'm surprised we are still having this argument. I do most of my writing on an iPad. That's not media consumption.

They used to do the typing on typewriters. Were those computers too?

----------

"Signs of aging" ? What is this article talking about ? Judging by the life cycle of a product is meaningless. If there are no new CPUs, chipsets, GPUs out there, there's no Mac lineup aging.

In the mean time Windows PCs have bettered Macs in screen resolution, battery life, creativity of form factors, touch screens etc. This article reminded me how Apple was waiting for two years for Intel to add USB 3.0 to their chip set while every other PC manufacturer was using third party USB 3.0 controllers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.