Intel's Upcoming Penryn Core 2 Duo Processors

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    [​IMG] claims to have more leaked information -- this time on Intel's upcoming Penryn-based Core 2 Duo Processors which are due in Q1 2008.

The upcoming Core 2 Duo processors will continue to use the 800MHz FSB ranging from 2.1GHz to 2.6GHz with up to 6MB of L2 Cache on the top end models. Meanwhile a Core 2 Extreme revision will top out at 2.8 GHz. Penryn is expected to bring a number of enhancements and performance enhancements.

The Santa Rosa spec will be revised to support the Penryn-based mobile Core 2 Duo processors which are due in Q1'08. After this release , Intel plans on overhauling their mobile platform in Q2'2008 with the "Montevina" revision.

Apple recently took advantage of the Santa Rosa chipset in new MacBook Pros released in June 2007. Apple would be expected to take advantage of the upcoming chipsets around their release in Q1 2008. In the meanwhile, Apple is expected to release a Ultra-thin version of the MacBook Pro later this year.

Article Link
  2. macrumors regular

May 24, 2007
    So is anybody still missing "the good 'ol days" with Motorola processor updates progressing at an almost glacial rate?
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2004
    Miami, FLorida
    Honestly, all this stuff is giving me a big headache. The more you try to keep up with this chip news the less you want to purchase anything. I'm going to now ignore it all & unless its about a major redesign in a product (like the talk about the new aluminum iMacs) I'm just gonna buy what I need when I need it and move on with life.

"posted via iPhone"
  4. macrumors 68000

Jul 10, 2007
    Ditto...all this chip rumor can do for most people is confuse them and push them away from making a purchase.
  5. macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    Well, I guess they can't please everybody...;)
  6. macrumors G5

Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
    Best advise ever - but be sure to add that "what I need" means just that.

Buying "expansion" for the future usually means that you pay more now - and when the future comes you'd rather get something new and better rather than just adding to the old box.

One probable exception, though, is memory. If you buy a box with some empty RAM slots or disk bays, you'll probably fill those....
  7. macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    So what will the extra 2MB of L2 Cache give me ?

More importantly, what will the Montevina revision bring me that is better than Santa Rosa ? Will I finally be able to expand my RAM to 16GB in my MBP ? ;)
  8. macrumors member

Aug 24, 2006
  9. macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    That was yesterday for me...
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 17, 2007
    Sounds like garbage. Everyone here knows you need ATLEAST a 16 core core processor and 1 TB of ram to run even the most basic features of OS X..
  11. Contributor

Oct 28, 2003
    Ahhh 1st Quarter of 2008, I knew Penryn would land around my birthday=). I've never put a laptop to work as much as I have my current C2D MBP. I'll give this to my sister and enjoy the new benefits of the Santa Rosa and whatever is to come with Penryn.

Let the wait begin!
  12. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I'm still hoping for a rushed release. Intel has had samples for months as it is.
  13. macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2006
    That's fine and dandy and all, but I'm still waiting for a Mac Pro revision, and have been all year. I signed up for a student developer package with the intention of getting a decent discount off of a Mac Pro... unfortunately, Apple is taking their sweet time and screwing everybody like me who wants a top-end system but will not stand for a radeon 1900.

PROTIP: Adding an expensive-as-hell option for an 8-core system is not a revision, Apple... update that system now! :mad:

14. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    good news . looking forward to seeing these in apple computers
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I belong in that club. I'm still waiting for the best MBP ever... I've been waiting since Dec 2006 and still can't decide whether to wait for the NEXT BIG THING...:confused:
  16. macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2006
    I don't think they really need to update the system, just cut the prices a little bit... The machine is at the top of today's technology. There's not so many 3.0GHz Dual QUAD-Core Xeons around from other manufacturers...
  17. macrumors 6502

May 25, 2006
    Seattle (M$ Country)
    So are we or aren't we getting Flash support on our iPHONES?

Are we really concerned about the next processor for our laptops? It's like watching grass grow. Every day seems a little bigger, but it's really just about the same.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:
  18. macrumors 6502

May 2, 2007
    Intel pricing pressure? Where I haven't seen lower Mac prices!

Intel said today that the sold a larger number of chips at a lower margin. I wish Apple would pass along some of of those savings along to us, their customers! I can remember when the last price cut was on a Mac. Sure they are improving speed little by little, but it doesn't seem as though the prices are ever going to come down. :(

I guess that's the "price" we have to pay given the Mac new found popularity. My buddy had to wait 2 weeks for his new MacBook Pro to come back into stock.

Hey Apple, if Intel says that they are selling chips at a lower rate to compete with AMD, how about passing the savings on to us in the form of lower prices?
  19. macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Probably not but you do get a 1,07 GHz FSB (1067 Mhz?), 800 MHz DDR3 support as well as WiMax/3G (HSDPA) amongst others
  20. macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2004
    The Great White North
    That almost sounds like an endorsement of the all-in-one form factor - you're slipping, Aiden! So, if the new iMac had 4 RAM slots and a user-serviceable HD bay, would you recommend it (as a form factor)?
  21. macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2007
    I am more than happy with my SR MBP for the next few years.New processors and advancements are a fact of life, as it stands this may be my last Apple product if their focus is heading further into gadgetry.
  22. macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2004
    tristate area
    please help me understand.

Why do faster processors matter when more demanding applications distribute work between many computers?
  23. macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    If by "computers" you mean cores, not all applications can be. The vast majority of programs can but in some cases its not that simple. Also, multiple cores are a relatively new thing so not all programs are coded to utilize them and wont be for a while.

As an aside, though, a processor can never be fast enough. ;)
  24. macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Alright...hopefully Apple will jump on the band wagon, and through them in some Macs in time for MacWorld '08!
  25. macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2007

:) Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!
    :mad: Now I will have to suffer through endless new threads from those who have already been posting away about delaying a purchase 'waiting for Leopard' for the last 6 months start new threads speculating that 'Apple' should have these chips in computers in time for Christmas :rolleyes: