Interesting Apple to Revolution comparison by IGN...

Discussion in 'Games' started by calyxman, Nov 24, 2005.

1. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I think this is true in some respects, although I wouldn't get too carried away with the analogy. Bottom line, I don't want a nuclear power plant to play games on my TV.

Link

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Haha.. that was funny. Seems you've got the MS fanboys, the MS haters, but few reviewers in between..

Even the fanboys complain about the fan, tho. (Part from the worst of them)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Size is an issue for me *tee hee OMG BLUSHES!11* I'm young so I live with my parents, I have my own room, I dont have all the desk space in the world. The size of the rev is very important. by xmas I will have a lovely 2005FPW monitor strapped to the wall behind the desk. Room will be tight. I'm thinking about hiding away my Xbox 1 (it is an eyesore) under my desk and having my PowerBook, Rev, NES and Teleton Amp all on top looking good :cool:

And that way, with its game sharing (THANK YOU NINTENDO!) I can take my Rev around with me to my mates houses and not play split-screen games ever again.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Fan noise an issue with the 360? That's unacceptable in my opinion. Forget trying to play games in your bedroom if this is an issue. I want quiet.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

thats funny....the power brick is huge.....damn the thing is almost as big as the system itself. i guess team xbox needed that old xbox flavor somewhere.

Bless

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*plays taps for split-screen gaming...

on a serpent*

7. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Could you elaborate on that? I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

8. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can elaborate. Nintendo said the Rev will have a DS-style game sharing system. All my mates are planning on getting a Rev, but we all like different games. So instead of all going out and buying the same game for network multiplayers we just bring our Revs and wirelessly share the games. With the Rev's size it will be such an easy thing to do.

10. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I've always considered Nintendo to be the Apple computers of the video game industry and vice versa... there's no doubt I will be buying a Revolution at launch.... is the 360 really that noisy?

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IMHO Nintendo is the closest to Apple you can get in the games industry. Their systems are generally more quiet and more compact, and have very good build quality. They also have the lowest, yet at the same time, the most profitable marketshare. And the general public opinion by people who don't use them is that they "suck". ("Macs suck!" vs "GameCube sucks!" or "Nintendo is kiddie!")

And while they have the lowest and most profitable marketshare in the desktop/console market, they have the HIGHEST marketshare in the portable market. And they focus on innovation in software, and are both very stubborn (no online play in GameCube, no two-button mouse in Macs).

12. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Interesting. That sure wouldn't make greedy game developers happy, but I like the idea.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've heard stories of GameBoy GamePaks™ going through the wash and still working. Possibly for GameBoys too.

well, it might be the lowest now, but that hasn't always been the case.

I remember borrowing the first DOOM from a "friend" of mine. For SNES. :rolleyes:

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

True.

Yeah, I know. It's just one of those idiotic things, you know how it is, when you have a PC fanboy, no matter what you say they'll still insist that Macs suck. Well, same for Nintendo. People will come around and scream that Nintendo is for little kids. You point out Resident Evil 4, GameCube exclusive for over a year and still not out on XBox. "That's just one game!" Point out Giest...point out Killer 7 (not on XBox)...point out a lot of other M rated games...but they'll keep insisting it. And people for some reason seem to think that the only thing people play on Nintendo systems are Mario. With that kind of logic, XBox owners must only play Halo...

Gah. Sorry. Stupid people annoy me.

15. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Really... I missed or forgot that, very cool though.

Anyways I love the design of the Revolution... I'd buy it regardless of what it looked like though.

And yea Gameboys can take quite the beating.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Gameboy is the toughest material known to man.

17. cvalda macrumors member

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE all the comparisons the 360 gets to Apple computers. The thing looks NOTHING like an Apple product and it couldn't possibly pass for one in its widlest dream. Everybody keeps saying "It's a cross between an iPod and x" and everytime I just think to myself "Am I seeing something else that others aren't.

The Revolution, however, does have MORE of the Apple qualities. It is sleeker, more refined, and not quite so bulbous. It's stylin'.

18. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I saw an XBox 360 for the first time the other night in a Toys 'R' Us...the FIRST thing I noticed was the fan! Man that thing is loud! And that was in a store, I can't imagine what it must be like sitting next to you in a quiet living room.

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

It really does bother me that people think that Nintendo only makes "kiddie" consoles and "kiddie" games. I mean, not only is Metroid Prime (1 & 2) beautiful looking & playing game, but I think that it is really intense, like just a hair shy of the intensity of half-life. It has its really dark moments, especially MP 2. I think the Zelda series also has a pretty dark side to it. Wind Waker kinda ruined it with the cell-shading games, it would have seemed a lot darker if it had been the realistic graphics that were expected (and are expected for TP). I expect Twilight Princess to go into that dark story that I've always thought was there.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, in my father's case, all he plays is Halo 2. He's not very good at Forza Motorsport, and he didn't like Fable for the 5 minutes he played it. I only ever saw him play SnowBlind a bit, but I got that from Gamefly, so he doesn't play it anymore. Of course, he bought MoH: Rising Sun for GameCube for himself. First game that has been purchased for someone other than my brother or I. Glad it wasn't us he wasted his money on. :rolleyes:
    Part of what kept me from playing Wind Waker was the cell shading. Of course, I've never played Majora's Mask either. I'm really looking forward to TP though, and I can't wait to see what they do with the franchise on the Rev.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As much a kiddy image as Windwaker has, control wise its the most fluid 3rd person adventure game I've played. After an intense week of playing Windwaker from start to the triforce collection part I tried playing Ocarina of Time only to be dogged by the controls.

And those sunsets/rises :eek:

visually its a work of art. the way I see it graphics are meant to be art, because they're created by humans to be displayed on a screen to evoke emotion. maybe its just me but I dont count those medieval photo-realistic portraits as the only art form. I'd much rather hang a piece of modern art, post-modern. Dada. something that shouldn't work in theory but looks fantastic in real life.
    That is graphics to me. and Windwaker has the best graphics I've ever seen.

22. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

That guy must have a pretty crappy TV if he has to blast the volume up. the fan noise isnt that bad, its loud compared to a ps2 or xbox, but in general its not that bad. at first i was like whoa, but 2 days after i got used to it..

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

anything louder than the current Xbox is too much for me. I play games at night, until about 1am. the whole family is asleep so I can't really play a game at any real volume. Though it has helped storing my Xbox inside some closed shelves.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's NOT a game you should skip. In fact, I'm kinda unsure about going back to realistic- Wind Waker is the game that made me like cel-shading. Wind Waker looked so incredibly vibrant...Awesome game, although it lacks a lot of the depth from Zelda 64 (but that has nothing to do with the cel shading). Personally, I'd love to see another cel-shaded Zelda.

And the ending is a big point you don't want to miss if you're interested in the Zelda storyline.

25. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Microsoft probably wants their machine to be loud. For them i guess Size+Noise=GREATNESS, it was the same thing for the Xbox. Some people even went to the extent of installing a waterblock just to silence the annoying monster.

Somewhere on their site they even brag about it being quiet, "Each core is independantly cooled, so quiet" blah blah blah
    Inside the xbox they put in 2x60mm fans, when they could have just put in a blower.
    I hate when consoles are noisy, my PS2 is very noisy compared to my gamecube.