Interesting article about the Wii.. (page 2 importantly)

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005

What I had discovered is that as much as we all want the Wii remote to actually work as if it was a magic wand, the actuality is that it has been designed to mimic a joypad, with a few neat tricks thrown in. When I was swordfighting in Zelda for instance, I wanted to be able to hack and slash in a way that felt natural. The actuality is that it is easier to sit down, and instead of hacking and slashing, flicking your wrist in one way or another. The wrist flicks correspond to what button presses would have done in years gone by and so ultimately you end up with a game that is not drastically different to what you're used to (except you do wrist flicks instead of button bashing).

interesting article, i think nintendo has high hopes on this "wiiMote", but maybe they are a little too high. Their confidence is so high they decided to take themselves out of the consoles race by making a system thats vastly inferor to the competition - and strickly making a profit.

but say the "wiiMote" isn't all it's cracked up to be, big flop. or maybe its just the first round of games? you tell me.

I was reading an article today that said how the Wii is just a compilation of all their other systems from the past in am all-in-one package.
  2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
  3. Archmagination macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2004
    Hmm.. I really don't have a problem with this preview. The guy is basicly right about the Wii controller right now, but I think he also isn't taking into account that this is the 1st generation of games that are going to be using the Wii and Wiimote.. whats that popular saying.. Oh yes its:

It takes until the 2nd or 3rd generation of games for developers to start pushing the console's power.

The Wiimote is a new type of controller and right now the game developers are just starting to discover what they can do with it.. hence the simple motion controls taking the place of buttons.. but thats not nearly all the things the Wiimote can do.
  4. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Yeah but that wrist flick bit only proves one thing, the Wiimote is great for traditional games and it has all these potential for innovative games, I think that is awesome...

Playing Zelda with the wiimote ought to be very interesting and better than the gamecube pad, I mean you control link as precisely as always with a comfortable Wiimote + nunchuck and great aiming for stuff like the bow, slightshot, etc

Wii has tons of potential, especially because there is nothing like it, the Wiimote might turn out to be a novelty but its a very refreshing change from a gamepad and allows developers to do so much more... in a way the wiimote is like the perfect child between a gamepad and a keyboard/mouse setup from the PC...
  5. macrumors member

Oct 17, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Also, don't forget that a Super Nintendo style controller is available too, & you can attatch the Wii-mote to the back making it basically a PS2 controller with motion sensor. I am very hopeful that Nintendo is finally doing something right. Everyone's sceptical, but only time will tell. And the day it comes out I'm having a Wii party. I'm sure someone's gonna get hit with a flailing remote.
  6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    That's what the wrist strap is for. :)
    I'm glad they put those on there too.
  7. macrumors member

Oct 17, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    In the first commercial I saw, I thought the wrist strap was a security band on the person's wrist so if they tried to steal it the Big N could hunt them down. Or better yet, the wristband explodes and takes the person's hand off. Yeah! :D
  8. smitty330 macrumors member

Jul 20, 2006
    Not "remote" Wiimote :D oh well you will learn ha ha

Also I agree that these first gen. games because they are coming out with the system are going to be great games to introduce us to the Wii, but eventually I think that the Wiimote will be just incredible. I suppose the possibilities are really endless especially with the free updates by wireless download from nintendo.

9. Malus macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2005
    Some company made software where they let the wiimote have more freedom in a sense, so if i swing the wiimote up and down, link will do the same. If i swing it will do the same. They just made this software, so it wont be on the launch games or even some that are comming out afterwards. But you can bet that the next zelda game after TP will be one heck of an experience.
  10. seenew macrumors 68000

Dec 1, 2005

Judging by that^ picture, I won't take this guy too seriously.
  11. seenew macrumors 68000

Dec 1, 2005
    He's basing the entire wii-mote experience off of one game, and it's one that was ported to work on the Wii. Of course it maps out just like a button-pushing game--THAT'S WHAT IT WAS. The Wii-exclusives use free-form control, evident in several trailers. I mean, the racers even use it as a steering wheel. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
  12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    To the author of the article:

I said from the beginning, adding motion controls to a game like Zelda (or any current gen console port) will merely be gestures to replace button presses. Remember? People were telling me, "Nah, in Zelda they'll modify the game engine somehow to allow swordfighting that tracks your swing!" in one thread before Nintendo fully revealed the new control scheme.

This guy is basicly whining that ports from current gen consoles (aka Zelda, Need for Speed Carbon, MUA, etc) are using gestures instead of button pushes. Duh. They're ports from current generation consoles. What do you expect them to do, rewrite the entire game from scratch? Then they wouldn't be ports.
  13. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Obviously. But ALL the reports I've read about the game recently (after reporters were allowed to release their comments last Friday after *lots* of play time) are extremely positive about the Wiimote/Nunchuck controls for it.

The Wiimote is more than just something you swing (or flick) around like a sword.

And of course this also is the first generation of games. The first generation of DS games didn't make terribly advanced or "deep" use of the stylus, either (but they were still fun!!).
  14. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    You know what is interesting? For that one article there was about 7-9 or so articles talking about how excellent it was, from proper gaming sites like 1up, IGN and co.

Zelda is gesture based. I don't think the OP knows (Captain Oblivious?) that the Wii controller was made to be both gesture based and precision mouse-like motion based for driving, RTS, FPS etcetc.

Pointless thread :D