Interesting article on Genome Research at apple.com

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by medea, Oct 28, 2002.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Dr. Will Gilbert likes to carry the human genome around on his iPod. It’s the easiest way, he says, to transfer the genome — 3 billion chemical “letters” that make up a person’s genetic code, or DNA — to the computers of other researchers at the Hubbard Center for Genome Studies at the University of New Hampshire.
    Gilbert had set up a research project involving the human genome on his Power Mac, using the Apple/Genentech version of BLAST. A breakthrough implementation of the popular bioinformatics tool from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), A/G BLAST conducts high-speed DNA searches in biomedical research and drug discovery. “But,” says Gilbert, “I wanted to run the project down the hall on another Mac. Rather than copy it across the network, I’d pull out my iPod. Plug it in, drag, drop, zip, boom, bang and walk it down the hall.”

Read the whole story @ http://www.apple.com/pro/gilbert/

2. pantagruel macrumors regular

Hey that was interesting, It looks like apple is going to keep adding articles like this about people who use macs in their lives and it's really cool. I've heard of plenty of uses for the iPod, but Genome research, thats a new one.:D

3. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Yeah this article is part of the new "pro" part of the website, though there isnt really a link to the pro section yet. all the articles on there are pretty interesting (in a way.) So far they have a Pro/Photo, Pro/Video, Pro/Music, and Pro/Science.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The iPod is coming into its own, not just for music anymore! :)