Interesting article on Windows Media Maker v2.0 (including a bit of WMM v iMovie)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacCoaster, Dec 30, 2002.

1. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2002
    Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    This article by Paul Thurrott is an interesting article... points out his opinions on WMM and compares WMM's latest version with iMovie.

Flame away with your disagreements with Paul Thurrott. :)
  2. mox358 macrumors 6502

May 22, 2002
    this guy kills me

I've read articles by him before... he always seems to poke a jab in about Apple or the Macintosh, and his articles always consist of Microsoft ass-kissing.

I understand the Mac has flaws, and I can't stand to read an article where the author blindly bashes one thing while proclaiming that their personal choice is "perfect".

It's disgusting that some people (not many, mind you) would consider this journalism.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy, if he actually believes half of the things he posts on his website.

Edit - spelling correction
  3. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    Wow! It has FireWire support now! It has to be the best application ever! And more wizards! I can't get enough! Video compression! Didn't know it was possible, did you?

The best part: it can make my movie for me, just like I can tell VB 6 to make an application for me! With yet another wizard!

But enough sarcasm. There are just a few faults..

He mentions how one needs a A-D converter to get Analog video into iMovie, but you don't im WMM 2. However, he needed to use one.

He seems to forget that the G3 iMac can edit digital video. (according to the specs he gives)

I can't wait to read his article about why MPEG4

EDIT: I just read the WMP Series 9 review. What an airhead.
  4. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL

I wonder how much M$ is paying him. He seems to have quite a beef with Apple.

5. TMJ1974 macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002

While I don't have any problems with Windows XP, I don't for one minute believe that WMV 9 has any compression technology that could in any way be superior to one that is not controlled by Microsoft. MPEG-2 is a standard, MPEG-4 will be. Nothing Microsoft puts out will be widely adopted....why, because MS doesn't want it to be.

This movie maker.....will I have to ask Microsoft's permissoin to burn my movie to DVD? They will assume that I'm copying someone else's home movie and have some sort of block.

In all seriousness, I switched to Mac in July of this year, and did so because it allows ME to control what is on my computer and how I use it.

Will Windows XP Media Center allow me to have a large MP-3/MP-4 collection (that I own the original discs for)? Without hassle ?

I do not have a single pirated software program or song on my computer, yet, the security initiatives that MS is so gung-ho to join, scare me. Scared me enough to leave Windows, forever.

I do hope that Apple will upgrade iMovie to compete (although I have Premiere, so I don't need it). The average Joe consumer would be brainwashed by some 12 year old at BestBuy quoting this guy's article.

6. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    hate to tell you all this......

.........but MS's compression technologies (in video mostly) are some of the best around.
    WMA's encoded at the same bitrate as MP3s sound much better and they take up less space.
    WMV9 is the standard for consumer video compression period. Hollywood loves it because of the implemented DRM and nothing can touch it in terms of video quality.

Note: even though they're the best compression codecs around I will never use them by choice because I'd rather have a little less space on my HD than use a DRM'ed codec.
  7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    This guy is SUCH AN IDIOT

I am so pissed. I wrote him an email:

Ok, I am a 14 year old highschool student. I want to tell you my expierence with WMM 2 and iMovie. I have a Canon Powershot G2, and I had some video on it that I wanted to make a short movie with. So I took the camera to school and plugged it in to their XP equipped PC (P3 1GHz). Well, I get a box that shows up asking me to get drivers. I click ok, and now im at canons website searching for them. Well thats great, I thought Windows XP was plug in play. My friend then told me to get WMM 2 to try and make a short movie. So I download that too.

So once everything is installed, I opened up WMM 2. The first thing I think to myself is "god, could Windows copy iMovie anymore than they have?" So since I am fluent with video editing, I decide to not use the annoying wizard that keeps popping up asking me to do stuff. I import the video and then put it in the order I want. Just to see if it would work, I exported it into AVI format and then tried to open it in WMP. Oh great, the audio doesn't work. Well, the class period was running out, so I just decided I would go home and do it.

I go home, plug in my camera (never had installed any drivers) to my 450MHz G4, and then opened iMovie. I start importing the video I want, and then drag-and-drop the clips into the video bar. Now, I find a song that I want, and drag and drop that into the music spot. I exported the video into mpeg 2 format (done with the whole project in about 15 minutes) and it was about 45 seconds long. Everything worked just how I wanted it to. I had the option save the video in different formats for different options (email, full movie, etc.). So it seems to me as if iMovie was easier.

Now, I want to talk to you about Windows XP. How can you say that it is as NEAR as good as Mac OS X? I mean, if it was so great, WHY would people be writing programs that make you THINK you are running OS X (until XP gets a security notice). I love the way XP starts up too, I really like seeing the core code of my computer, it looks great. I also like how you network XP, doing it all manually. I plug in my dads powerbook to a friends ethernet jack, and it automatically changes locations and all my settings and I make no changes. Seems the mac is easier in that category too.

Oh, and now you start talking about how you spend 400 dollars on a PC that has an ok speed, but it will only last you maybe....2 years? I have iMacs that I still play games on and use for everything that are 4 years old. I have a Mac Classic that I can type documents on and everything that is about 10 years old. So I am trying to tell get what you pay for. Oh yeah, I can edit video on the computer I am on, which is 3 years old (G3 500 Laptop with wireless internet and 14.1 display, and firewire, and a 30GB HD). This machine cost me, oh, 800 dollars. And if you want a good mac that is fast, go on ebay and get a G4 for about 450 dollars.

Now, if you really want to get into a price war, check out what Forbe's top technical gifts were. I think Apple placed #1 in every category expecpt like PDA, and thats because they dont have one. Their Powerbook weighs 5.3lbs, has a 15.1 inch screen, is one inch thin, has a DVD BURNER, and you can get one for about 2600 dollars. Now, show me a PC that DOESNT weigh 10 lbs, that ISNT 2 inches thick, and ISNT just made by some guy.

In my opinion, Windows 2000 was the only ok operating system windows ever made. Hell, you think XP is good? Ask any kid in my computer lab (that all have PCs) and they will tell you they HATE microsoft.

Microsoft is such a monopoly. If apple would only copyright things like their application looks, Windows would have no style (they dont now though). You know that they are thinking about being their own chip makers so that people cannot upgrade their computers without going through Microsoft?

Microsoft claims they MADE *smart playlists*, but iTunes had then months before microsoft, and microft still says they invented the idea, and its one of a kind.

I think you are a biased person after reading what you say. You make it sound like Windows is way better than Mac OS X, when its not. I dont get a security update every other day. I dont get viruses. Stuff WORKS on all my macs. My macs last more than 2 years. Macs use different chips that arent just overclocked. Macs use less power. Macs are quieter, more elegant, and in most cases faster than PCs. Macs are way easier to use. I connected my TV to use as a seperate monitor to my computer, and all I did was hook an SVideo cable from the computer to the TV, then I clicked "detect displays". Oh wow, a display was found, it recognized it, gave me resolutions on it, and I was using it in about 10 seconds. Do you think that its that easy on Winblows?

I went to my friends house to use his PC (HP Desktop P4 2.0GHz), and I open up internet exporer. I try to play a little video and I get an error saying that Windows cant open that media. Well, it worked on my mac. And thats all I have to say to you.
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well on my pc i installed this new version a while back, it looked pretty promising considering it was free. the one thing is though i never used it so i cant really say much about it. the interface was simple for me but for the average user the wont be editing right away. imovie was very simple. just a couple of buttons on the screen. at our apple store i do imovie training and i can teach a person imovie in a good part of an hour, even 30 minutes. i briefly read through but from what he said, it sounded like he didnt even bother to mention apples plug in packs. also, ill have to play with it some more but i dont think wmm 2 has auido import abilities, like voice overs and stuff with a microphone. the funny thing is ive been doing the movie making stuff for what now, 2 to 4 years (i cant exactly remember when it came out). plus i really think apple is working on a new version of imovie. all i know is i have a nice pc and a nice mac, and when i want to do some video editing that firewire cable sure wont be plugged into my pc.

9. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Re: Ummmm......NO

Yeah, man, competition is good. I expect with MS's digital media initiatives, it will push Apple to make new revisions to iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, and QuickTime, maybe as soon as MWSF.