Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alehel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Was browsing the handbrake forums and thought this might interest some people here. Apparently support for reading unencrypted BD discs is now more or less complete.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17816

Really looking forwards to seeing this in the nightly builds as it means I can now get chapters in my movies without converting the mkv files using MakeMKV :D.

All I need now is PGS passthrough for mkv container and I can watch my BD movies on my AC Ryan mini in all their glory :D.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I've had a look around and I can't find a single DVD without copy-protection on it, never mind BluRay! What tools do people use for that?

alehel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
On mac you still have to rip the disc using a program such as MakeMKV or Mac Blurayripper Pro. The point is that with this added into Handbrake you don't have to convert it to an mkv file before you convert it. For me, mkv files produced by MakeMKV have been nothing but trouble. Sometimes handbrake crashes, sometimes it's unable to crop mkv files from MakeMKV, etc. By directly reading the disc structure I can use Mac Blurayripper pro, which I prefer, to rip the disc contents and then convert in handbrake. It's all a matter of taste of course.

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
I've had a look around and I can't find a single DVD without copy-protection on it, never mind BluRay! What tools do people use for that?

it means you run anydvd in the background and handbrake should be able to rip any blu-ray.

i know this is a mac forum and i don't know if there is a mac equivalent to anydvd so this would apply to windows users. basically cutting out the middleman (makemkv, etc)

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I thought MakeMKV had an option to create backup copies of Blu-rays? Essentially it would decrypt the discs and copy an exact copy of it (encryption ripped out) to your hard drive, skipping the re-encoding process. This took up quite a lot of space, like using AnyDVD or whatever would as well, but at least MakeMKV is an OS X app?

Honestly all I care about is making backup copies, I have tons of free space to store the Blu-ray in its original form.

It's cool that Handbrake is adding support though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.