Interesting comment on CNN

Discussion in 'Community' started by mcrain, Sep 11, 2002.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

One of the CNN guys was going through all the stuff of the day this morning, and he then started talking about the ticker at the bottom of the page. He said that they would be listing ## of names who died on 9/11 at the WTC/Pentagon/Pennslyvania.

They went to a commercial break, and when they came back he started a discussion about some other things.

Right after that topic, he indicated that when he said they would be listing the names of those who died, he was mistaken on the number, there were 19 fewer names they wouldn't be listing, and I'm quoting "for obvious reasons."

It took me a second or two to realize what he meant.

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Mourn the Lost most of all. They did it believing it was in the name of the One Spirit. Such confusion is more horrifying than the act itself.:(

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Yes good point. Thanks for sharing that.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I cannot, and will not mourn the loss of the killer. I can't mischief. I am not built that way.

Screw what every they thought they were doing it for. They were the incarnation of evil.

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I am not sad that the terrorists are dead. Not after all the put so many millions of people through. I am sad for the state of world affairs that there are people that can be made to think that such actions are meaningful in any way. That changes to the good will happen for the causes that they care about, though the use of such unimaginable violence.

I hope that things improve for the innocent people of countries like Afganistan. They have been through so much misery, for so many years.

I won't cry over the criminals. Not one tear for them. I won't forgive them until every other victim has forgiven them, and that may never happen.

Remember the innocent.

7. diorio macrumors 6502a

I don't see how anyone could mourn for people that murdered 3000+ people just to terrorize our nation. They were weak minded followers of an evil man. To forgive them and move on would be dishonering those who they killed. They should never be forgiven or forgotten.:eek:

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

You missed his point. Mourn the Lost. Mourn the fact that some people have become so lost, so caught up in their twisted beliefs as to make them act in this way.

Mourn the fact that this can happen and 911 can be the result. Mourn the misguided alive and dead, because that is the cause of this tragedy.

Taft

PS. I hope I didn't miss your point, too, Mischeif. :)

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I think I'm being misinterpreted:

I was suggesting that the 19 hijackers had been dead for a long time already in a more metaphyscal sense and that since Faith had been used as a justification than there was more to the act than just the obvious. Someone convinced them that Allah smiled on their terrible act and THAT is horrifying beyond words. Those men are a symptom of a much more sinister and subversive problem and I feel that EVERY human has the right to be mourned and remembered as a human being. It's the only humaine recourse.

Beyond the rhetoric of "If I'm afraid than the terrorists win." Is the more dangerous fact that if they convert you to a Zealot, and rob you of your Humanity than that same sinister force, which convinced them has convinced you, and then It wins.

Don't be afraid....... but more importantly, don't lose youself in being angry. This isn't about Terrorism... It's about Humanity's collective Soul. If we get trapped in a global cycle of retaliation than the Darkness that made the Zealots in the first place wins.

Mourn neither the Terrorists, nor the American dead....... Mourne for the World that created them side by side. Once you've done that....... Do something to help: Give blood to the Red Cross, Give money or service to the Peace Corps, or if you feel brave: Go out into the 3rd world and just be good to people 1 on 1 and maybe things will begin to change.

No Taft, thank you. You got it.;) :)

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Maybe I am just an idiot. I understand your point, but respectfully disagree. I do not morn the world. The world did not make them. Evil did. Jealousy, powerless people that wish to be powerful. People believing in a decietful lie. People that wish to do nothing but harm others because they disagree with their lifestyle, their God. That is the problem.

The problem is that the 3000 people that died on Sept 11 had nothing to do with the plight of the Palestinian people. They had nothing to do with Iraq. They were just people who were robbed of their existance by people that were evil.

This is not a battle of haves and have nots. It is a battle between Good and Evil.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I think misinterpretation of religious documents begets even. ;)

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I believe we're making the same point:

I was just trying to sidestep oversimplification. There is a very real danger in classifying any group as "Evil". I feel that if the actions of Terrorists make (Anti-Terorism) Zealots in the target country than the Darkness that clouded their minds has gained a victory. As much as I agree with the theory, functionally it will always be about haves vs. have nots because have-nots get used as pawns.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

while that might be true in some cases.... surely, as a good christian, you remember the story of adam and eve.... evil did not enter the world until they brought it in.... hence jesus coming. etc.

and i think that remains today.

15. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Did anyone mention the people on the planes? I notice that that is overlooked alot of times...

As a side note, this is more of my view than anything, but a point I feel needs to be raised. People say the world has "changed alot" since 9/11. And in te context it's meant in, it's true, alot of people are doing alot of things differently now. However, I think that a similar point needs to be raised and that is this:

The 11th of September shows that the world hasn't changed at all.

Alot of people forget this, but things of this sort happen and happened all the time (in a relative sense) Now, I am not trying to undermine what happened, not at all. But the fact is this: How many other people die in other places of similarly attrocious things? What about the people in Israel (that area in general) that are getting bombed daily? Why isn't the world reacting to that as much as this? Unfortunately numbers seem to matter to bigwigs everywhere, because I feel that even one life is too much of a loss, whether it's 40 people in a shopping mall in Tel Aviv or 3031 people at the WTC, I think it's too much. I also believe that relief and feeling should be everywhere, and that perhaps this is the lesson, we need to think about people elsewhere more. The people that did this did not understand the people here, and I don't think we completely understand them either, and it's this lack of communal empathy that, I believe, was a main reason for this whole thing happening.

Alot of people are distressed at the fact that this happened on U.S. soil, it was a shock to most people in fact. But imagine if this were happening everywhere, a suicide bomber in a mall, and trucks full of explosives rammed into a building there, think of the courage people have elsewhere in the world, and try to replicate it.

I was not able to comment on many points in this short essay, but I didn't for a reason, I just did this out of a whim, I was not planning this essay, so I did not outline it or anything like that. Today people do different things to commemorate, and I think this was mine :)

16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's funny how in this case the evil thought what they were doing was supremely good.

Are they, as they themselves thought they would be, up in Heaven surrounded by beautiful virgins?

Or are they, according to others, being disemboweled in the fiery pits of Hell?

17. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: I think I'm being misinterpreted:

Decent band, although their albums are IMO a bit overproduced. :)

18. Solipsys macrumors member

There is no such thing as Good and Evil! Those are just subjective moral opinions... Learn something outside of the Bible for once!!!

Stop playing the blame game and start thinking about how we can all better ourelves in this Universe. Even today, all Bush could talk about was revenge... and that's not a solution!

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: I think I'm being misinterpreted:

Doh! I was hoping to avoid that one........:rolleyes:

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

About a million psychologists would disagree with you: the only way to heal is to do exactly that, forgive those who perpetrated the attack. Most major religions would also tell you to do this. I agree we should be angry with them, but i don't think anyone here realizes how easily you could have been born into such a society, brainwashed by a religion, and recruited to fight against the "evil" USA. In their own mind, obviously they were doing the world a favor, it's not like they were sitting around thinking of ways to be evil.

I agree that what they did was horrible, and cannot be justified, and to turn all our anger, hurt, etc etc on them is only human. What ever happened to rising above that? We keep chanting things like "give peace a chance". You think that will happen as long as we're blaming people and holding grudges? It happened, we rooted out the cause of it (we needed an excuse to off the taliban anyway), get over it. Reflect and remember, but do not hate. Hate can only birth new hate.

i did a really poor job of explaining my views here, and i'm gonna get flamed, but so be it...

:)
    pnw

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Hear hear!

Good newbie... ;)
    pnw

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmmm... you might want to check his date registered and reconsider the newbie comment. ;)

hehe

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

U did good.

U won't be Flamed by me. U did an excellent job of keeping it simple.:)

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Ack! maybe i should look at other things than post counts ;) Well then, good guy-who-doesn't-post-very-much-but-has-been-here-a-while...

:)
    pnw

25. macajax4 macrumors newbie

I find it really astonishing that some Americans don't understand why an event such as September 11 has happened! They must be blind in order to see their own acting of terorism, all around the world and at a much greater scale than Al-Qaeda. Don't forget that Bin Laden used to be hired by the US to do the dirty work against the Russians, a mere employee at that time. Look at Kosovo, look at Middle East. You can even go as far back as to look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There is no such thing as good and bad when you are talking about the people's life! Killing a man is always wrong, and that is for sure. Sadly, nowadays, in this capitalist society, money ressources are considered more valuable than human life.

September 11 was something really really terrible. But if the Americans didn't see it coming, they must have been very blind or very stupid.