Interesting discovery for HDMI display grainy text issue

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sno1man, Nov 10, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

No it does nothing to address the black out issues which still happen to me 3-4 times a day:(

I have a dell s2240l display attached to my mini and have had the grainy text that others have complained about.

The dell only has HDMI and VGA inputs. I have tried straight HDMI to HDMI, mini display port to HDMI etc without improvement.

When it's connected to my mini, the mini always sees it as a TV and thus has the overscan slider active. As far as i can tell there is no way on this monitor to switch it to PC mode so that the mini sees it as a pc display and not a TV.

Regardless though, I just made a discovery that helps quite a bit. If you move the slider just one notch past off (the default) the text gets noticeably bolder and less grainy and to my eyes at least, better.

Two questions; One, anybody else noticed this and two, it almost makes me wonder if this is a bug in the OS.

I thought at first that overall sharpness might be taking a hit and that was what i was seeing, but looking at things with fine lines in them like excel spreadsheets, they still seem to be crisp.

Weird, regardless