Interesting E-mail

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ensign Paris, Jan 22, 2002.

?

When do you think we will see G4 (or G5) 1ghz Mac?

1. With in 1 week

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. 22nd Janurary (Or VERY close)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Within 1 Month

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Next Trade Show

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

I am just passing on Info here, I got this from one of my friends on the MacTalk List:

------------

Apple are to release the first 1GHz Mac next week.

I was speaking to a chap at Apple in Ireland this morning and he has been
    testing a G4 1.2 GHz Mac. Apparently it really flies.

Now he did tell me it was expected to be released within two months, but
    MacUsers weekly bulletin has just announced it will be released next
    Tuesday.

So, we didn't have to wait too long for the balance to be readdressed for
    the pro users after Steve Jobs' announcements at MacWorld were all for the
    benefit of mid-range-users.

My friend also hinted at a beefed up G4 PowerBook range, and also G5s
    before the end of the year.
    (Apparently, if you ever want to know what Apple are planning, you only
    need to look at Motorola's website, because "they keep nothing secret!"

--------

Do you think he is right, I HOPE SO!!!

Ensign Paris

2. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Being reasonably new to Apple and Macs I would guess that Apollo will appear at Seybold.

I don't know what speeds to expect but I think anything less than a 1GHz G4 would be a mistake.

I think the G5 will probably appear at MWNY or early 2003, at which point all towers will use G5's and the iMac2 will use the apollo G4.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm thinking it's going to be the next expo that we'll see new towers released...

the rumors for today being the date were a little too easy....but still believable since we got the iPod without a major expo.....

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Why don't we just find out and put the issue to rest?

As Moto's shipping and production figures are public record we should be able to track their production of PPC 7450's and PPC 85nn's. We should also check the same data from IBM. Anyone who lives near Apple's Sacramento plant should keep an eye on deliveries. Chips for production this month would have been ordered last quarter and shipped this week.

5. bobcat macrumors newbie

Interesting... ordered a Powerbook early last week (Jan 15th) from my local dealer, and they a) had none in stock, and b) don't seem to know when any are coming in...

Or maybe this is just Oregon.

6. BurntCalc macrumors member

Ahh Hotline. Yes, that wonderful little app.

For some reason, just because the source came from Hotline, I believe it. I ran a game news server called the Riven Pub back in the mid 90's, and I can tell you I that just because of the clients who logged on, the information I posted was often way ahead of what everyone else had. The obscurity of Hotline has its advantages. For example, when Bungie came out with Myth, the Fallen Lords, I had a developer (who shall forever remain unnamed) leak me a copy of one of their early demos. I posted it about 12 hours before Bungie did... And boy did they get pissed! Threatened to sue me and everything. Thank god for anti-slander laws. They said my demo was a trojan horse, which it wasn't, so when they wanted to take me to court, I pointed out that I could sue them for more than they could sue me. Well, it wasn't too big of a deal, but I'm sure some heads rolled.

Anyways, Hotline is one of the best sources for developer information on future products. The G5 at Seybold? Dunno for sure, but I definately give it much more credibility. As for the G4 Apollo? Hello? They'll put that in the iMac and powerbooks now. Everything seems to fit well. Let's just wait and see...

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Why don't we just find out and put the issue to rest?

I agree....of course I've been saying this in many threads......but no one ever listens.....