Interesting facts / Trivia

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Oct 4, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Post interesting facts. Basically anything that will make me go 'Whoa!' or 'I don't believe that' etc.

-Many scholars think that Spartan men were homosexuals. It was a very male oriented civilization. It explained it on the discovery channel's thing about the spartans.

2. vniow macrumors G4

I read somewhere that at the end of a fatal battle between the Spartans and somebody else (I don't remember who) the Spartan warriors died in each others arms.

You want to get a bunch of people riled up for battle? Fight their lover.

Alexander the Great was also gay BTW.
    I don't know where the U.S. military got this idea that homosexuals were wussies.
    :rolleyes:

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah I read that somewhere about Alexander the great.

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Did you know that if you were locked in an air-tight room, you would die from carbon dioxide poisoning before you would die from lack of oxygen?

P-Worm

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Re: Interesting facts / Trivia

Well, that was the History Channel http://www.historychannel.com/spartans/

The Discovery Channel use to be good but it sucks now. So your interested in an interesting fact, eh? Well, whales and dolphins evolved from dogs.

6. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

They did? I think not, I am no scientist, but they evolved from a common ancestor. But dolphins didn't come from dogs did they?

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Alexander the Great's middle name is "the". :D

But, seriously... :rolleyes:

A majority of dust is made up of human skin. (Men Of Honor)

Pigs can also get sunburn.

The world's larget prime number in 1983 had 39751 digits. (Really old pocket book)

This I find really cool:
    You can suspend a magnet in air above a superconductor by freezing the superconductor to 77 kelvin using liquid nitrogen. From there you can literally take a pen, tap the suspended metal's side and spin it in air like a rubic's cube.

8. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

http://www.intersurf.com/~chalcedony/Basilosaurus1.html Look at this. "the first of many fossil finds that show that modern whales, e.g. the humpback whales evolved from dog-like creatures known as Mesonychids"

Why is it so hard to believe? I know they talked about it in my biology class, and on the TV series "Evolution" that was shown on PBS and TechTV.

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

A man is raising money for suplies and a mini-helicopter to fly through a tunnel he believes goes from the north pole to the south pole in order to visit the crystal city of Sham-bala that Tibetan monks made in the center of the Earth.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Why is it so hard to believe? I know they talked about it in my biology class, and on the TV series "Evolution" that was shown on PBS and TechTV.

Usually, the most common reasons for divergent evolution occur on one (or two) of two basis:
    A: Lack of use/Extention of use of a certain body function, or
    B: A genetic mutation that amplified incremently over time.

To put it in English,
    A:
    Many people say that giraffes came from horses. Originally, they were horses, but they had to stretch out their necks to reach higher and higher tree minerals necessary for their survival. The ones that failed to stretch out their necks enough died. As the thousands/millions of years past, the neck part of the "horses" became more and more used, and, as a result, became characteristic to this type of horse, defined as a giraffe.

B:
    A genetic mutation is a change in a DNA paring/DNA codes, which alter a certain amount of body functions. In some time or another, there may have been a genetic mutation caused as a result of radioactive energy, which can easily change the DNA codes. This energy may have only affected a certain number of creatures some xxx million years ago. Eventually, as time past, the genetic mutations became more prominent on the external structure of the animal, resulting in clearly definable characteristics.

Occassionally, however, the enzymes used to duplicate DNA strands make a mistake in copying the exact same codes, also resulting in a mutation. That's why people say "Nobody's perfect." :p

11. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Well, it's just "B". If an animal evolves (aka mutates, that's all it is) w/o a useful "body function" then it continues to live just as an animal does with the "body function". So "A" is just part of "B". But thanks for the message; I'm sure it took awhile to type it up.

12. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

try not to remember that the next time you're caught in a dust storm!

i think you meant 'household dust'?? ;)

yak's milk is pink - trivial pursuits (c1987)

i_b_joshua

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

as cool and interesting as this may be, it is still completely unproven and just a theory. there has yet to be any real proof affirming the theory of evolution in the first place.

14. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

We learned that dolphins, humans, and dogs all came from a common ancestor, but not the dolphins came from dogs. Oh well...

Xena/Lucy Lawless is only 5'11" even though she looks 6'5". She speaks English, French, German, and some Italian.

Xena is the best show in the world. :D

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Uhhhh huuuhhh. And where did he by his last hit from?

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's one for you.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

damn

thats pretty sweet

18. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

it's true.

i_b_joshua

Attached Files:

19. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

i think you're in the wrong thread :)

but i'd love to know what your definition of real proof is?? if you feel like elaborating post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11972
    there are lot of people who don't feel the same way.

i_b_joshua

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Many archaeologists in South America currently believe Egyptians were among the first people to discover America. The proof of this comes in this comes from tobacco and cocoa found in some tombs in Egypt. Neither of these products grew in the wild anywhere else in the world. This also helps explain the spread of the Pyramids throughout the world.

Here's another one from the bowels of my head.

The Conquistadors were losing there fight with the Aztecs in and around the valley in which Mexico City resides today. The problem came in the form of the greatest Aztec warriors known as the Jaguar and Eagle Warriors very much the equivalent to our modern day Navy Seals. These were the elite of the elite for the Aztecs and did most of there damage at night. What finally brought the Aztecs down was not disease or the like but that the Conquistadors were able to raise a rebellion force with the surrounding farmers/slaves. By doing this they not only had a much larger force but had effecively cut off all food to the city.

Interesting note the Sun pyramid in Teotihuacan and the Great pyramid of Giza are similar in that there height to base ratios are both based on a mathmatical ratio of PI. The Sun pyramid's base is 4pi times it's height and the Great Pyramid in Giza is 2Pi times it's height.

21. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Dapper Dan Pomade and Red Apple Cigarettes are not real products.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

Coke was originally green. Pepsi blue is blue. :D

>(Bandit) survival of the fitest.

I'll give you that. Based on Darwin's theory of "survival of the fittest", nature plays a huge role in determining who survives in the world. Nature is a competition in this regard, by which those who survive set the makeup for the following generation of the species. The ones who don't survive die, as I explained for the giraffe in A.

And, true. It's theory. But I interpreted what my biology teacher said as fact. :rolleyes:

Now I'm reminded of those Mad River Juice Drinks I hear on the radio sometimes.
    "Nature's a mother. [Drink to it.]" :D

23. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Here's a whole list... and yes I admit I didn't get these off my head, but they're still quite interesting... Enjoy.
    -----------------------------------------------------

A snail can sleep for three years.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

"Go." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you will have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

No word in the English language rhymes with "month".

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears
    never stop growing.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

All polar bears are left handed.

The name Wendy was made up for the book 'Peter Pan'.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

You are more likely to be killed by a Champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
    -------------------------------------------------------

irmongoose

24. xelterran macrumors 6502

some snakes can live for up to 3 years without eating :eek: (i saw it on a nature program a while ago)

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

speaking of spiders...did u guys know that on average...we humans accidentally eat 11 spiders in our lives while asleep! :eek: