Interesting Powerbook incident

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dirtyfacade, Dec 12, 2004.

1. dirtyfacade macrumors newbie

About a month ago I posted about my 12" pb having a broken logic board and the estimated repair cost was 970$. I just bought a brand new iBook instead of repairing it.

I sent my fiance to pick up the powerbook today and he turned it on at home and at first the color was all pink still and messed up and then all of a sudden it was just fine. Like, the color was all normal and better. I turned the pb off and back on and it's still fine.

It's remarkable. Any thoughts?

2. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

That's very strange ... perhaps it was just a fluke? Let's hope so, otherwise you might be kind of upset now that you've bought a new computer!

4. dirtyfacade thread starter macrumors newbie

i think it may just be a fluke. it started to get a little messed up again and hasn't gone back to normal yet.

oh well.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

if it is still giving you trouble give apple a call, they are very nice to people who have problems on brand new machines.

7. dirtyfacade thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not having trouble with the brand new ibook.

it's the older and broken pb that seems to be working fine on and off. the colour is fine then gets bad and then gets fine again.

i can't have applecare because it's not available in florida.

8. Melvin Furd macrumors member

Melvin Furd

Apple Care

Apple Care is an International supported program. What do you mean you can't get it in Florida.

9. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

From applestore.com:

This plan is not available for Florida and Wyoming consumers or where prohibited by law.

10. Jsmit macrumors regular

11. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Sounds to me, like a loose solder connection. Sometimes it is at the right temperature to make a good connection, sometimes it's not.

12. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

yeah loose connection came to mind. you might not want to drop your ibook at all. bad thing.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It sounds like Murphy's Law in action. I also hope that you purchased AppleCare.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He's in FL, AppleCare isn't available there for some reason.

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

How old is the Powerbook? I had a faulty logic board that would turn on and off occasionally. every now and then it would work. Sometimes the screen would display all messed up. In any case, I would try a third party for a repair. If it is not a logic board and just a short somewhere or a bad solder connection, they might be able to fix it for cheap. These places usually charge like $30 just to look at it so if they look at it and you're screwed, you're out $30. If they look at it and there's an easy fix, you're a happy man.
    -kevin

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

is it fine if you use it via an external display?

17. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Yeah it really sucks, but it's true, and there's nothing Apple can do about it. I used to work for an Apple Reseller in FL and it caused alot of problems and anoyed customers. But incase anyone is interested here's the reason: Years back alot of Seniors were getting scamed in FL with fake insurance scams, so the state created a law that you can only sell insurance to consumers in FL if your company is based in the state. Aparently Applecare was dubed Insurance by the State. Since Apple is based in CA and not FL the Applecare Protection plan is not available to consumers. Now it is however available to businesses because this law only applies to consumers. So if you want Applecare in FL you either need to have a home based business that you could say the computer is used for, or try to get your company to say that it's your "Business" machine and get it covered through them.
    Basicly you just need an FEIN # to provide to Apple to get Applecare in FL.

18. Cross macrumors regular

Hey on a aide note. I would love to take a look at it and see if I can get it working, would that bother you? If I do I would be happy to buy it off you. I am looking for a PB right now.

19. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Dudes, "he" is a woman. :cool: