Interesting Predicition from Japans Merrill Lynch

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A surprising prediction, especially because it came from Japan.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I reckon that's going to be true, at least in this neck of the woods.

The 360 seems pretty popular in the department stores (it helps that it's actually on sale...) and they have a really big display everywhere I've seen them.

The Wii will likely be a niche player like the GameCube and the N64 before it but I think it will be reasonably popular due to it's low price ($399 compared to the 360's $649) but the PS3 is going to be around $1000 when it comes out (I think the 20GB model will be a bit less but the 60GB version is going to be $999 at release) and that's a hell of a lot of money.

We're not the same sort of gaming people down here, unless you go to one of the major city department stores you probably won't see a queue anywhere and I don't think anything has sold out. PSP didn't sell out, 360 didn't, DS and DS lite didn't, everything is in good supply. And people are likely to buy what they can afford rather than spend $1000 on a gaming console.

The HD movie playback of each device (360 and PS3) doesn't mean much here because HD TV sets are few and far between. Even SD digital TV is thin on the ground as there's been no real reason to upgrade from the current analogue service - to do so is expensive and most of us just can't be stuffed. The government is annoyed because they wanted to turn off the analogue service next year but nobody's really spending the thousands of dollars for a HD capable TV plus all the extras.

I just think the PS3 is going to be too expensive for the Australian public to really latch onto. The PS2 was $799 when it came out and it didn't sell too well, there was a big price drop (to about $500 - it's now around $190) not long after release and then it started to sell. The 360 at $649 is at the upper limit of people's expectations but seems to be doing OK.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...but still have to wait and see.
    I guess people in the city will pay anything because everyone I know wants the PS3..at school and work and not really checking for the price tag.

Tip for the next gen consoles....be first to the market and spit out the games like hot cakes

Bless

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I found this bit hilarious "The winner in the next-generation console battle is likely to be the Xbox 360, which is the leader in North America, the world's biggest market". Well there's a surprise! Don't you think it could be because, well I don't know... no other next gen system is out yet?

I'm not sure I agree with what they're saying either. The DS has proved that non-gamers want to play too. My mum for example, she would never even consider playing a 360, a PS3 or even a Cube. I suspect that if the DS didn't hit the non-gamers and the casual players then it would be the PSP in first place, but because such a market was tapped.

I suppose we'll see. If Halo 3 is good then you can add me to the 360 statistics.

ps. The PS3 will likely have a low market share here. Looking at how Sony are treating us Europeans. The press are laying into them. £450 games console? Hello, 3D0!

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the 360 has become insanely popular here too in Ireland, it one of the 'must have' toys for xmas again (which it also was last year).

There are also some insane bundles here

Premium Xbox 360, + extra wireless controller and 4 top games (gow, cod3, pgr3, pro evo 6) for like €499 (or £340)..

A premium 360 in the UK is £289, so an extra controler and 4 games for only £50 more.... bargain. I've yet to see any UK place offer a similar pack.

And then in Ireland we are looking at €270 for a Wii (not too bad, but a core 360 + 1 game is priced around the same now), and for the PS3 it's looking at €549 for the core and €629 for the Premium version. €50 more for the core ps3 without a game, compared to the 360 bundle... Just not much of an incentive.

Ireland had per capita the highest ownership of PS2 consoles outside of Japan, so for it to go 360 crazy this xmas certainly speaks volumes.

And dont let two holiday seasons pass you by and big ??? over your european launch date. Saying that you wont commit to a 'March' release date just as people go into stores to buy xmas presents.... Utterly terrible mistake, more so than price.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When my juicy student loan comes through and I've finished some jobs I'll have to send over some of that £340 for that pack ;) I mean mate... that is the best 360 bundle in the world. Is there anywhere I could buy it from being on the mainland and all?
    What I don't understand is why MS aren't launching a huge ad campaign here. They could subtly rip Sony in their adverts, I mean this will be their last Christmas as the power console. There is huge potential there.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

xbox360 ads are running every day in german tv, including those "presented by XBOX 360" stuff before and after shows, on multiple channels

they started that massive campaign somewhere 3-4 months ago

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it is a great deal, I think the Xtravision stores throughout Ireland have been bombarded with booking/orders (I think they only go on sale when GoW is released this friday) but i imagine they are going to sell out fast, like maybe by this weekend going on the general response they are getting. I hope they will have more coming in before xmas though.

The next best deal I've seen over here is Smyths, Xbox 360 premium + extra wireless controller + 2 top games for €449 (£304) Still very good value compared to the UK..

But the XtraVision one really is steal of the century.

Yeah loads here too. Don quite get some of the TV adverts, they look like Jean commercials or aftershave commercials and then the 360 logo appears at the end and I'm like what ??