Interesting School Discount Program

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazycamel01, Jun 30, 2004.

1. crazycamel01 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My school has special offers on PBs (aside from apple educational discount).

Basically, I can get the lower end stock 12" PB with 3 years apple care for $1499. I know I can upgrade memory for like $100 to 768 through crucial or other companies, but there is no way to upgrade HD easily is there? 60GB is ok as I still have a PC, but music alone is gonna take up 20GB. Is external HD a better idea?

Also, I have DVD burner on PC so I dont necessarily need superdrive, but can I add external burner in the future? I think I read that it doesnt sync well with some apple program... is this true (especially iDVD and Final Cut)?

The price is really good especially considering it comes with service, which is a big deal for me. But the lack of flexibility is a little bit disconcerning. I have never sold a computer before, but I heard you can resell Macs, so would stock PB hurt resale value? Your answers to my questions, along with any thoughts on this situation would really be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Great deal. Wish other schools had it. Or even Apple.

You can upgrade the HDD, but the labor is a killer. I was quoted about 2 to 3 hours at $75 an hour.

I have a 40gb HDD on my PB 12" rev. B, and 60gb would be great. I too have 20gb of music, and I keep that on an external HDD.

Everything that I have seen is that an external DVD-R drive will not work the iApps. Personally I would not buy a another Apple without the SDD. But that is me.

3. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

for your music you could just buy an ipod, and disable the isync on it. That way you can dowload music to your ipod and then erase them from your computer. The next time you hook up to your computer you wouldn't have to worry about the isync function (it updates itunes to your ipod each time you connect, so if you have300 songs on itunes, your ipod will have those 300 tunes. If you have 1 sonbg on itunes, the isynce function erases all of your ipod songs and just has put the one from itunes on it).
    If you're not into paying $400 for a 20gb ipod, consider getting a 160gb external hard drive. I think lacie makes a firewire one for about $200.

4. CramSoup macrumors member