Interesting store behavior

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deepdale, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Last week I was in JC Penney and found four shirts that I had seen there before, but this time they were in my size. I held them in my arms as I continued to browse other items. Another man walked over to me and said, "I have been looking for those colors as well ... may I ask what the size is?"

"15 32/33," I replied.

"Damn, those must be the only ones left in that size. Are you planning to buy them all today?"

"That is the plan because I have also patiently waited for these to be restocked. I stopped in here previously only to find an abundance in sizes 16 and 17."

He walked away and I thought that was the end of our brief interaction. Then a few minutes later he returns with what he believes is an offer not to be refused.

"Why not keep two of your choosing and give the others to me. This way we will both accomplish something from our trips today? I forgot to mention that I have a job interview next week and I really would appreciate having the shirts."

I replied, "There is a first time for everything. You realize I am under no obligation to bargain for merchandise in my possession, but I will offer you this. Since only one shirt at a time can be worn to a job interview, I will keep three, not two. However, I will give you the color of your choice. Fair enough?"

He was so grateful and chose the lavendar (my favorite color, naturally). I shared this story with my sister and the next day she went to a different Penney's and found another in lavendar for me. Don't you just love a good ending? :)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You yanks are weird. I would've told the nut job to bugger off. What kind of bloke wears a purple shirt?? ;)

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That is quite interesting - I'm surprised, by the way he acted, that he didn't just take them from you. :eek:

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Noo good deed goes unpunished.

5. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Hey, lavendar rocks. It's big with the ladies, too.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Lavender? You mean Purple?

There are six colours:
    Blue
    Purple
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green

Two tones:
    Black
    White

And grey.

As a man, the word "Lavender" should not be in your vocabulary, now if you'll excuse me I'm off to eat a steak and scull a schooner of VB.

Next time just say "yerihmate, buggerorf."

7. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I guess you would not have warmly received the one called "coral."

Thanks for the advice and the laugh. We actually could call them chuckles from Chundles.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That guys behavior was quite interesting. I am glad to hear that your good deed was not undone- your sister was very kind to buy the very shirt that you so kindly offered to that man.

See, it always pays to be kind to others.....well, part of the time anyway.... ;) :)

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No Chundles would probably not warmly receive a color that to him does not even exist. ;) :)

10. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It is funny when you look at the tags and see designer colors such as tangerine, cucumber and celery. I felt as if I should be at the farmer's market.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You sure you weren't in the ladies section? What side are the buttons on?

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

LOL :D With those types of colors, its possible to think that you should be buying produce not garments. ;) :)

13. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The explosion of the fruity colors continues with peach, plum, watermelon, avocado, apricot, cherry and lemon (to list a few).

Quite certain of that ... not a dress, bra or pantyhose in sight. And, yes, the buttons on the shirts were on the right side.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, something's gone awry in your local JC Penny then. All those colour names just scream "This is a blouse" to me. :D

15. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

For some time now, there have been color names that do seem to be involved in a game of creative silliness. Truth be told, the majority of them from well-known manufacturers do look very nice. It is hard to remember when I last bought a blue shirt that actually said only blue on the tag. There is one hanging in my closet that says cranberry ... you'd love it. Okay, you might like it!

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Happy ending...and, erm, odd story. I've certainly never had that happen to me. :eek:

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:rolleyes: I've had older women snatch clothing from out of my hands. *mutter*

18. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Women can be ultra possessive (and downright nasty) when it comes to that. Some would cause a stampede if it meant getting to an item first.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So, ahem, were you buying granny underwear, devilot, or somewhere, is there an 80 year old woman running around in a sequin halter top? :eek: ;) :D

Just kidding! :eek:

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

How'd you know?!

[​IMG]

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I beg to differ. You've forgotten brown – although at JC Penney they probably refer to it as cinnamon or cappuccino, or something.

22. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The powers that be at JCP may already be committed to cocoa. :)

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You ought to try and hook this guy up with the powdered woman you met at the subway station last month. If she was all up in your grille, it'd be interesting to see how well they'd interact.:p

Regardless of the shirt colors, I can't imagine ever being so forward as to walk up to a stranger in a store and ask for one of the garments they are holding onto. You do meet some interesting strangers, Deepdale.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

:eek: Sneeky little devils those old women can be! ;) :D

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Coral.....oh my. :eek:

That's when you snatch their walkers and canes away and trip them, silly girl. ;)