Interesting Take on Console Design, Of All The Big Three

Discussion in 'Games' started by seenew, Aug 5, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I read that a couple days ago and wanted to post it, but alas, you beat me to it.

It is a very good read and makes some great points. I alas wouldn't say that the Genesis was the greatest example in console design, but alas, that's just me.

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Genesis was pretty awesome though. I loved the SNES though. I also feel like the N64 was great, although a lot of people will disagree with me.

4. belovedmonster macrumors regular

Xbox 360 is styled like an Apple product but the Wii is none descript? Gimmy a break. This guy is an idiot. Anyone can surely see that out of the next gen consoles the one that is most like an Apple product is the Wii. I dont really see why he is praising the original Xbox either, wasnt that universaly regarded as just an ugly box? Granted not as ugly as the PS2 but Sony have always created Playstations with an ugly stick.

5. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

weird report, im not sure it deserves so much attention
    andreas

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Nothing more Apple than an Apple product.

Behold the Pippin

7. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

He didn't praise the Xbox at all, he was talking about the 360..

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The 360 looks like nothing a modern Apple designer would make.

I didn't really value a consoles looks way back when so I can't really judge on yesteryears appearances. All I can remember are Sony machines being designed horrendously, looking about 20 years old on launch. N64 was just bizarre.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The SNES design was top for me.....I'm loving all of the designs this generation but last gen.....damn PS2 and Xbox was crap...GC had the best of show.

Bless

10. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I also feel that the 360 looks nothing like an Apple Product. In fact, it is totally a rip off of a dell machine
    [​IMG]

11. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

I thought the GC was the best looking of this gen as well, I just wish they came out with all the colors they promised before launch. I wanted a red one or a lime green one, very badly.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hell I'd have liked a black one... they only had "indigo" PURPLE when I bought mine. and yea, trust me to get a BLACK Gameboy Player. Now there's consistency. Oh, and my black controller. I'd love to do something truly beautiful to my Cube. No cheesy case mods but something quite classy.

13. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

OMG! they so much like the same!:eek:

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oddly enough, when I bought mine (very near launch) all that was available was black! I had wanted the Platinum, but I had waited several months and still no word on when it would be released, so I bought one (the black) and a month later the Platinum came out in a special Mario Sunshine package... I was annoyed! :D

Nowadays I've been going the White route, though. Switched to Apple, Xbox 360, and want a white DS and Wii.

I enjoyed the article and felt it really called out a lot of the things I've secretly been holding against Sony without a good explanation.

While I've owned more Nintendo systems then any other, I have to say I preferred Sega system designs. Dreamcast was probably my favorite, with the Megadrive (or Sega Genesis Mach 1) coming in second. I didn't care for the MasterSystem, but it was better then Atari's machines and the NES.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

16. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

Whoever thinks this article is "a bit" biased please go back and re-read it. :)

This guy is obviously still upset that the PS2 took Sega out of the hardware business

17. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

the appearance doesnt really matter to me since its whats on the inside and the games that count. but the PS3 is pretty huge and ugly.

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The problem with that idea is that he's pretty clear on the fact that what Sony did they needed to do in order to make a place for themself in the industry. They had to differentiate themselves from the current competitors and that was the best and most logical way.

The author doesn't seem to think they need to keep up the front, however, and that seem more accurate then biased, imo.