Interesting Tiger/Panther problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcgerm, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jcgerm macrumors member

May 28, 2003
    Ok, first my hard drive separated into 4 partitions...40 GB for Users (Panther) directory, 10 GB for Panther, 10 GB for Tiger, and 15 GB for Applications (Panther). All of the Tiger Applications/Users directories are on the 10 GB Tiger partition. The problem is that ANY file I double click on tries to use the Tiger version of that app (i.e., Safari, TextEdit), even if I'm in Panther. So, that application crashes if I'm in Panther. Anytime I click on a link in Adium or double click on a text file, the application crashes (I'm sure there are more, but I haven't tested them yet). Anyone have an idea how to fix the problem, or at least set the preferred application that's opened for a file type?
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I've had similar issues to this one (documents opening in the wrong application), and fixing them is pretty simple. For your case, do a Get Info on one of the misbehaving files, open the Open With area if it isn't open, then change the pulldown to the Panther version of the application in question. If it isn't obvious which one you want or the application you need isn't in the list, click the Other button and navigate to the correct application (if it's unselectable, choose All applications instead of Recommended applications). Once that's set, click Change All and confirm that you want to do this.