Interesting uses?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by joecool85, Mar 15, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

joecool85

Anyone have some really interesting uses for their iPods, iPod minis, shuffles?

These are the two I've heard of:

iPod - use it as an external hd
    shuffle - get 4 together, hook them up to a usb hub and use them as a 4gb RAID device.

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That RAID idea's awesome! Does this mean that you don't have to 'disconnect' shuffles like you do with normal iPods? Sorry, I don't have one yet (just need to justify it) so I'm not fully sure how these non-hard drive mp3 players work.

Oh yeah, another use...

I dropped iSaac on my toe today and it really really hurt - weapon of reasonable harm (WRH)? I imagine if you threw an iPod at someone's head it would really suck! :(

3. macrumors 68020

aricher

I use my 40 GB iPod as an external drive all the time - mostly to shuttle files to/from work. I also use my iPod for the basics - contacts, eBooks, eRecipes, driving directions, etc.

The shufle RAID idea I've seen floating around the net for awhile. While novel in theory it's not a very good practical idea as it's very taxing on the flash disks. Same goes for booting off of an iPod or Mini - NOT a good idea unless you want to overtax and overheat the hard drive.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well, I agree most of the uses for iPods other than what Apple tells you to use them for, would probably be bad doing it on a regular basis...but its still cool.

Link for iPod Shuffle Raid Array

5. macrumors member

Also buying four iPod Shuffles for the RAID use is quite expensive at $600+ for just 4GB.

6. macrumors Core

i use my shuffle to play music in my car!!!!! oh and every now and then to transfer word documents back and forth between computers

the regular ipod, when i had one i used for backups, games, contacts, calender, etc