Interesting Video...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGary, Jun 24, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I watched this video on CNN yesterday and was horrified at the beating this kid took, but then I decided to watch the whole thing through again. Watch the part after the kid catches a rebound - he cocks back and elbows the guy behind him pretty viciously...

Now his dad has released this tape to CNN saying his kid was viciously beat for no reason, and while the response form the kid that beat him up is obviously over the top, it wasn't totally unprovoked...

I have no idea how to link this, but go to CNN.com, and then click the video link near hte top of the page for "Teen player knocked unconcsious."

What do you think?

(WMV or Flip4Mac reuired.)

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Gary, he (the father) said in the video that he released the video to CNN because he wasn't satisfied with the progress the local police were making in filing charges and that jazz, he didn't just want to show everyone his smacked up son :p

I'm not really sure what you were looking at though, the kid did nothing wrong, he was running and the other one just elbowed him and proceeded to beat him up...are you suggesting the kid that got beat was faking it? How was the kid provoked???? The victim was playing clean.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Here's a cliip of where the white kid elbows the black kid - you have to watch the video really closely from the beginning.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
  4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Here's the link.

You have to disable pop ups to get it.

I was just interested in this because it just shows how some careful editing can make the story come out completely different. I am not saying the kid was justified at all - but it was not unprovoked.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

They posted a new video on CNN.com as the first video called "basketball beating" where there is now an interview of the father and son by Soledad O'Brien. The victim was stating that he was first pushed by the kid before pushing back. The case however, if you watch more, is being prosecuted as an unprovoked act of violence which it may or may not be considering the victim was not the FIRST to push, but did react in some way.

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Right but if you watch the first video (Teen Player Knocked Unconcsious), you will see that the kid winds back and really whaps the other player befo0re they start running down the court.

I'm not trying to argue that the kid deserved to get knocked out...at all.

But if you watch the video, the victim reacted pretty violently to what he described as a "push." In fact he said he "pushed him back." Cocking your elbow back across the full length of your body is not "pushing back."

I wish I knew how to save the video and edit it so it was clearer...oh well.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i know i was stating that the kid said that and they're sorta twisting the story..;)

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Ah, I'm still half asleep, I guess. Damned A/C.

9. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

wow... if i was that kids father who was hit like that, i would have spent the evening in jail after i knocked the other kids teeth in.... that was insane....

iGary, you are right... i did see the kid who got knocked out throw an elbow, but that certianly didnt deserve the beating he got....

rediculous!

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

No he certainly didn't deserve what he got, but isn't it ineteresting to see what a bit of video editing can do?

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the case seems to be clear. the one kid pushed in the heat of the game. that would be a normal foul, nothing bad.

the other kid hit back on purpose and knocked him out, threw him down on the floor on porpose and as he was already unconciuos punched him several time full force.

to me it looks somebody should go to jail for a very long time.

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Agreed, but it really was not a normal "push - " The kid cocked back and elbowed the black kid hard first. Not a normal foul, but yes, the kid that assaulted him should get jail time for attacking him.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That was not a "normal" elbow he gave the kid down the court....that was a "I'll hurt you" elbow......the refs not doing there job and calling a foul on that kid.....the other guy took it to the point of no return and beat him down
    (not called for by the way)

That video was edited just to make that kid look as he did nothing when he had a big part of it as well.....If i was on that court and he elbow me like that i would wack him one too(but not beat him like in the video)

Bless