Interference - Can anyone help a newbie?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jeppsy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Jeppsy macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Sorry but I am new to this - apologies if this has been posted before....

I have a problem - some CDs that I have copied to my iTunes (brand new, no scratches etc) sound 'crackly' and have what I would call 'interfernce' sounds on them which really spoils playback to the point where I can't really listen to certain albums!! :eek:

Is there anything that I can do to correct this? It's really ruining my enjoyment :(

Thanks everyone :D

2. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Have you verified that the problem doesn't lie in your speakers/headphones first?

3. Jeppsy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm very confident it's not - this only affects about 5 CDs.....the rest seem fine. I've tried the headphones in my home stereo too and they're fine...:confused:

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

If you play the ripped songs on your computer do they sound crackly? If so it means the rip had errors. There is an option in iTunes to check the file while ripping. Or you can use EAC (exact audio copy) to rip, which will retry up to 8 times until it gets a clean rip.

Greg

5. Jeppsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that - I will check tonight when I'm home! I ripped the CDs in Windows Media Player and then imported into iTunes. I'll see if they sound okay in there.....

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yikes! :eek:

Use iTunes to rip them. Going from WiMP -> iTunes causes a loss of quality.

7. Jeppsy thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the files on my PC - they sound crackly on there so I assume something went wrong with the rip. What's the solution, delete and rip again? :)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. And use iTunes this time. Enable error correction in the iTunes Preferences (under the Importing tab in the Advanced section) if you think the CDs may be a bit dodgy. You can also select the encoder and the quality (bit-rate) from that panel. :)

9. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

yeah... Re-rip, but in iTunes this time. Also, on a side note, you're not using IE as your primary browser are you?

edit: mad_jew beat me to it.

10. Jeppsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will have to try it tonight and let you know how I get on! :)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good luck with it all. :)

Just a BTW, if the songs sound bad on the CD too (unlikely) then re-ripping won't help. I doubt this is the case though.