Intermittent headphone jack on Powerbook.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mduser63, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've got a 12" Rev. C Powerbook that I bought last November and it's got a problem with the headphone jack. The problem has been there since it was new, but lately it's really started to bother me. If I put even a little bit of pressure (towards the front) on a headphone plug plugged into the headphone jack, the PB switches the audio from the headphone output to the internal speakers. It's obvious that the switch that tells the PB when something is plugged into the audio output jack is on the edge of opening all the time and putting a little pressure on the audio jack opens the switch. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think I should take it in for service? We don't have an Apple store here (yet), so I'd have to either send it to Apple or take it to an authorized reseller. I'd really rather not have to take it in for fear that it won't be in perfect shape by the time I get it back. What do you think?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Well, if you take it to a store, all they are going to do is send it in to Apple for repair. I don't know of any Apple Store or reseller that actually fixes a computer in their shop. I know that the Apple reseller in Louisville, KY sends everything to Apple for repair.

I would call Apple and send it in to them for repair.

3. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

At least two of the resellers here actually fix stuff in house. I know because I looked into getting a job in the service department at one of them, and I've actually been in the back of the other one where they do repairs.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I would send it in for repair. Either to the Authorized Repair place, or direct to Apple. For what it's worth, I've sent my Powerbook in to Apple for AppleCare work twice, and it's only come back better.

Lee Tom